Sign in to follow this  
zry

VR - express your firsts impressions

Ok guys, i’m pretty sure everytbody is testing the VR mode those who own a vr headset.

Wich is your firsts impressions?

Mind blown. First flight with a G2 HP Reverb and RTX 3080 with most settings on medium or high. I took off in a baron from KLOM and did three circuits in the pattern. I did this exact flight last friday IRL. Frankly, outside of the performance issues with this plane, it felt like I just did the same exact flight. I am so excited to check out canada in the snow, fly through NYC, and cruise up and down the coast in San Diego where I used to live in North County.

Don't love using the mouse and excited for hand control in the future, but this is legit. Menus take some getting used to and I'll have to pair some new button mappings to my yoke.

• Like 2

Although I was part of the Beta testing for VR, I am quite happy with it.  For the most part, it is smooth. Better then P3D and X-Plane which was  always choppy at payware airports. At least for me.  Of course, everyone's mileage will very, depending on how powerful your system is. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

surprisingly smooth,

well done Asobo.

(Rift S - 9700K - 32GB - 2080Ti & will try Quest 2 this arvo)

Edited by craigeaglefire
specs...
  • Like 1

I tried it out today.  Its decent.  I didn't mess around with the settings on graphics.  Just went with the default VR settings.  As of this time my preference is still with P3D but that could be a familiarity thing more than anything.  Ultimately I would call them comparable.

• Upvote 1

P3D VR is a better experience in some ways (it actually works, smoother, better planes to fly)

MSFS is fun because the scenery is pretty. But the blurry instruments remind me of the dk2 5 years ago. They’re blurry because you need to turn down the pixel rendering to get smooth flight, whereas P3D performs better so you can actually supersample rather than undersample.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Lots of performance optimisations needed, I've got it running fairly well but thats with Render Scaling turned right down which causes blur. 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

17 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

P3D VR is a better experience in some ways (it actually works, smoother, better planes to fly)

MSFS is fun because the scenery is pretty. But the blurry instruments remind me of the dk2 5 years ago. They’re blurry because you need to turn down the pixel rendering to get smooth flight, whereas P3D performs better so you can actually supersample rather than undersample.

This has not been my experience, In fact the opposite. I do not have blurry instruments and have not needed to turn down the pixel rendering. Its set at 100%. I find it a lot smoother in MSFS. Its always a choppy for me in P3D. 

I have been a beta tester for MSFS VR and have been using it for the last 2 months and can say I have really been enjoying the VR experiences  in MSFS. 

As I stated before, everyone's mileage may very. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

After 3-4h of testing - finally I have 40-45 fps what is ok with Motion Reprojection on. Its not like in Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS needs more optimalizalition for sure, maybe this DX12 will help it. 30 FPS with reprojection is not enough for me. In total perfomance in P3Dv5 is better a lot but here is nice view for sure.

I noticed big impact of High and Medium clouds for FPS. Its pity because low looks very bad (and now I set it up). Maybe mod for clouds?

The picture is very nice, better than in P3D - clear and sharp, gauges, gps are very good visible outside view too. Looks really nice. I use 70% (so 2200pxt) plus TAA. Here is very good job.

Good job are 3D panels, very easy to move map or ATC window.

Motion reprojection works nice with this new Latest OpenXR preview + auto, even if you have 41 FPS it works too, so not only at level 30, 45 and 90.

If you look at the ground directly below you, a small stutter is visible always despite the good frames what is bad.

I prefer mouse only too, so this is good for me.

It's not bad but it's not perfect either.

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Specs are below. Reverb G2. Havent changed rendering as I havent needed to so crisp and clear panel for me. What I like is the user can jump in and out of VR, HDR lighting is still there, separate graphic settings for VR. Plenty of ways to optimize. Prefer the mouse over a controller so like that plus the mouse doesnt pop up in front of you as you look around. I remember when P3D and XPlane started native VR and how much its improved since then. Heck I couldnt even use P3D's 1st attempt. So theres room to grow for MSFS but not a bad launch by any means. Looking forward now to upgrading to a 3080 with 20gigs when they start making them next year.   

i7-7700K o/c @ 4.8 (Kaby Lake),  1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD32GB DDR4/3000MHz, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO,  GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

btw. did you notice boxed wheels on external view in VR mode? 😁 How to solve it?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I'm running i9, 20890Ti with 32GB.  Comparing with X-Plane 11.5 with level 19 orthos, I can say this is in no way superior either graphically or performance wise.  I've started trying various optimizations, but I'm finding that in strict comparison, X-Plane in VR is significantly better.  It's probably better on Reverb due to the optimizations made for that platform, but for me, definitely not worth switching from X-Plane yet on Index.  Basically, fun to try, but not to fly for any more than a few minutes without getting sick and missing my motion controllers.

• Upvote 1

I wrote in the Oculus one as well, but here goes again;

Oculus Quest 2 and no problems whatsoever. Stutterfree and to me, a beatiful and polished VR experience where you can actually use the mouse as you would in standard view. Simple centerview with spacebar, return to non-VR with ctrl+tab, graphics-settings for VR is a separate setting and returns to your usual settings when out of VR. To me; 10/10

Ryzen 9 5900X

32gb 3600cl16

3080 TUF

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I'm on a I7 6800K OC to 4.5ghz and a 3080. I first tried settings from that one video and then even lowered everything to low ..I'm getting at times terrible fps, but even when its showing 30 fps I get a lot of shudder when i move my head.is the worst part, I'm pretty used to vr but even this makes me feel not great..I have motion smoothing on , I'm in a index..I feel it should still run a little better than this?? Perhaps it has to do with steamvr vs G2 and openxr?? 

I’m using Rtx 3080 fe, Ryzen 5 3600 and 32 GB of 3200 ram. 
I’ve put everything to ultra and Render to 120. Plus the other two render sliders to 175. Quite smooth for the most part. A few glitches in the graphics here and there plus a big glitch involving snow capped peaks in the Wirral lol.
The King Air cockpit and the whole experience of flight, blew my mind,  I’ve flown the King air in X-plane VR and it is very good but this was a spooky real feeling. Just incredible. 
Anyone doubting the magic of Vr should have a rethink. 

It’s a great start and there are rough edges to the whole experience but Just flying a short distance into Eggp has made me realise how amazing Msfs Vr is. 

....and it will keep getting better and better.

Just to say..when I first started Msfs in Vr, all settings were on low. Don’t forget to change them before you throw your Rift S at the wall. It all looks pretty good.

Edited by Tonyp23