Sign in to follow this  
Bob Lahblah

Reverb G2 - Anyone else getting intermittent pauses?

From my Windows-Store/Gamepass instance of Flight Sim 2020 using my Reverb G2, I am noticing that I get intermittent and sporadic, let's call them pauses in the game.  It seems to potentially be sound related, because when it happens, sound will cut out, then the volume indicator will show and the game will just hang for a little bit as if it's switching hardware.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  It's not a system or power issue, since I don't get the windows hardware insert/removal chimes.  It is rather isolated to FS2020 though, because in other VR games I can play at even higher settings without issue.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I haven't seen that. There have been a number of audio problems reported with the G2. See if this thread helps:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Accessories/Audio-cutting-in-and-out-on-Reverb-G2/td-p/7855763

There's also more on this issue in the G2 subreddit.

Yep, especially g2 and AMD X570 motherboards.  The problems the OP describe are very similar to the problems I've been experiencing with my X570 board and the g2.  I was able to reduce the symptoms significantly by using an unpowered USB hub and finding a port that worked best, which makes me think the problem is some type of timing/impedance issue that the X570 USB drivers can't handle due to the G2's long cord.  Hopefully a driver update will come out soon.  At least HP is acknowledging it.

Edited by Clipper Ocean Spray

I had that last night as well.  Black screen with the volume icon,  varied in length, then back to normal with my G2.  My sound is normally provided (prior to VR) with my external USB Soundblaster.

Bob, I believe my issue is a combination of a 16gb machine performing on the edge and infighting between sound hardware.  My audio preference kept getting set back to the built in realtech usb volume set at 68 fighting with my G2 volume set at 92.  Those were the two numbers that would flash up with the sound icon when the VR would freeze both sound and sometimes display as well, then continue on.  I'll let you know if I solve my issue, but acted as you initially described...

Brian

I’m experiencing the same issue on my b450 mobo. The issue seems to be that the windows audio driver keeps changing causing massive stutters and pauses of the sim. I found somewhere a workaround where you can disable an auto detect option in WMR sound tab and use external headphones. I’m not at my pc now so can’t tell you the exact option.

I also found that using the front panel usb 3 input works best on my machine 

I'll try the alternate audio headphone approach.  The front USB3 for mine doesn't seem to allow for recoginition of the headset.  I'm back to the rear one I was using, but still have the issues.  The realtech usb is required btw to run audio for the headset so that was a no go on my exploration.

We'll keep hunting.

For what it is worth, by just removing the speakers from my reverb (one screw each - it's designed to remove the speakers) and diabling the Realtek USB soundcard that the Reverb installs, I was able to use my normal headset and it worked without issue.

I do have an x570 motherboard, and according to the information others posted and my own digging it looks like it is an issue with the AMD Chipset drivers - specifically for the USB Controller.

Now to figure out the right display settings to get better frame-rates.

This may be useful: I had random USB-related HMD disconnects - blue screen, audio stutter then reconnects in game usually but tracking craps up. And it happened often. My ASUS Prime x570 chipset motherboard has this known problem with x570 - it doesn’t recognize G2 in any USB port. The only solution is either a PCI USB 3.0 card (which I bought), or a powered USB 3.0 hub (works with my monitor bilt-in hub, but I got the card anyway). But The blue screen disconnects happened even on this card and on the monitor hub! I found that the only thing that cures it is changing all BIOS PCI settings to GEN3 from GEN4 in advanced settings. Even if a single one (for a GPU slot or any PCI slot) is set to GEN4 - I got the blue screens again, even if the setting is for an unrelated slot (not GPU and not USB card). I read about this solution form the x570 chipset not recognizing G2. It doesn’t help my system to recognize G2, but it does help with disconnects, apparently. I spent hours on figuring this one out.

• Upvote 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Okay, so after doing some multiplayer with some friends last night I realized that the problem wasn't my G2 at all.  It was Teamspeak.  Sure enough all of the problems came back when I was playing with them and persisted even when I got fed up after crashing and switched off VR.  Switching to Discord seems to have solved the problem.

Got the same issue with the X570 mb.  Rare - maybe once in 2/3+ hours, and it tends to hang for a moment then return, so it's not awful.  But a fix would be nice.

Paul Skol

I've been trying to find a solution for VR weirdness in another game with an Oculus (ovrserver) and have finally found a fix doing the following. Maybe it's worth a try with the G2.

I'd imagine there's at least one G2 related process running in the background that you can add, as well as MSFS.exe

In "windows setting / system / display / graphics settings" I added both "OVRServer_x64.exe" and "Starwarssquadrons.exe" to the list of Graphics Performance Options, and set them both to "Performance"

Edited by dogmanbird

I had the same issue... The G2 would go dark and all I could see was a volume icon. Solved the problem by changing the USB port (i.e. the usb-c cable, using either a direct to usb-c port or with the usb-c to usb-a converter that comes with the G2).

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

I dont imagine this remedy of using a USB-A port would apply to an ASUS hero 12 ?

though i have been getting the intermittent black screens

Weirdness:  I no longer get the volume thing, but I now get - with slightly too much regularity - an issue where sound cuts out; then the hmd goes black; the sim freezes; and a few seconds later it unfreezes and I carry on from where I left off.  Luckily the "freeze" is just that - since it happened last time as I was landing - and when it restarts you are where you were when you left off, with all settings preserved.

Anyone else had that?  Annoying, but not a showstopper (and I've not now flown non-VR for I don't know how long, so I am not about to stop).

Paul Skol