Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 in VR is Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Update:

I've done a few flights with the Quest 2 (the white one!) in MSFS now. So far, I don't like it and wouldn't recommend it for this particular sim, though testing is still in its very early stages.

Could you elaborate on this - what about it isn't comparing well to the other headset options? I've been considering the Quest 2 vs Reverb G2 as possible upgrades from my Rift CV1 for the past few months and it seemed that the Quest 2 (at least resolution-wise) was a serious competitor and much cheaper of course. Thanks.

I'm amazed at the performance. I'm getting a solid 45fps with all settings on high and a few on ultra with traffic enabled at around 20%. I'm using the CV1 because I don't have any DP ports free. I'm thinking about unplugging one of my monitors and plugging in my Rift S just to see the clarity difference. The FOV is so much better on the CV1 though. CV1 has awesome FOV but bad clarity. The clarity on the S is amazing but the FOV is like a straw. I think I could probably enable most settings on ultra right now and still get a smooth VR experience. Amazing performance. It looks very convincing in there. Much better realism compared to DCS, P3D or xplane in VR.

Edited by J0nx
  • Like 2

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

11 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Lol, don't be offended if I point out MSFS's VR shortcomings

In whose post did you read offense?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I know it can be done, but what he says at the end is that he has a pretty beefy pc and struggles with the framerate and says 'may the framerate be with you'

I am running a 5800x and 3080 and it struggles, some things are better than others.    I vaguely remember my first time in VR flying and performance back then was not good but it was certainly a wow.   So I understand the people going wow but the performance is not on par with others and it's not bad to benchmark something against something else.

I can see it being pretty awesome when the performance improves.

duplicate, sorry.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

duplicate, sorry.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

13 hours ago, DJJose said:

Rob,

Is this one good enough for a beginner? I want black.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-PC-Powered-Gaming-Headset-pc/dp/B07PTMKYS7

The review with the most 'likes' on Amazon (over 1,300 likes) changed his review of the soon to be discontinued Rift S to one star because the Rift S decided to require a facebook account for all features to work. That's what he says anyway. Also, the Quest II requires a facebook account.

Connecting to facebook app may push some PC VR enthusiasts toward the Valve Index, HTC Vive Cosmos, or upcoming HP Reverb G2 headsets, they don’t require Facebook integration and have unique benefits like Valve’s “knuckles” controllers and the Reverb G2’s high-resolution display.

It's a personal choice, but facebook hardware and software cannot sit in my house. Let facebook spy on someone else. That is unless a new bipartisan congress, a re-motivated EU, and the British bulldog pulls the rug underneath facebook's behavior and makes them shape up.

• Like 4

I went with a used Odyssey+ to test the waters since based on the performance of the sim my personal opinion is that it will be the next generation of graphics cards before all of the extra resolution of things like the G2 is really being used, and I'm stuck with a 5700XT anyway until the crazy GPU supply issues are fixed.  (Also by the time I can push enough pixels to really use the G2 effectively, I'll be able to get one of those used).

Being a relative VR n00b I can't comment on the intricacies of different HMDs or different sims, and my opinions may be worthless...lol.

I enjoyed a nice MP flight with a friend in Papa New Guinea last night, where we both tried VR for the first time (also my first multiplayer flight).  Landing on sloped mountain runways was much easier with actual depth perception. Steam gauge aircraft seem easier to deal with vs EFIS based aircraft.  It was super neat to actually be sitting in the Savage Cub, and the steam gauge C172. 

I do have X-Plane 11 so I'll probably give that implementation a try this weekend.

I will say - my main use case was to play Half Life Alyx.  I'm a big Half Life fan from way back and put it off for too long.  For that it's been pretty darn nice, because of the efficiency of the Source 2 engine and all the work Valve has put into VR.  I will consider that I've gotten my money's worth just playing that after so many years with no new HL content. The MSFS VR coming out is a bonus and just a last push to finally pick something up.

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

57 minutes ago, JasonHarris said:

I know it can be done, but what he says at the end is that he has a pretty beefy pc and struggles with the framerate and says 'may the framerate be with you'

I am running a 5800x and 3080 and it struggles, some things are better than others.    I vaguely remember my first time in VR flying and performance back then was not good but it was certainly a wow.   So I understand the people going wow but the performance is not on par with others and it's not bad to benchmark something against something else.

I can see it being pretty awesome when the performance improves.

Very weird. I’m running a 5900x and a 3090 and I am getting almost unreal performance at all high/ultra settings and even with super sampling at 1.5. Solid 45fps in the burbs of dc and in all other areas. I have not had in in a major city yet so maybe it might struggle there but everywhere else there really isn’t much difference in performance between rift and monitors. Maybe the extra vram is required for full performance?

• Like 1

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

3 hours ago, scotchegg said:

In whose post did you read offense?

he  already explained in post  15  on the  first page of  this  thread

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

50 minutes ago, J0nx said:

Very weird. I’m running a 5900x and a 3090 and I am getting almost unreal performance at all high/ultra settings and even with super sampling at 1.5. Solid 45fps in the burbs of dc and in all other areas. I have not had in in a major city yet so maybe it might struggle there but everywhere else there really isn’t much difference in performance between rift and monitors. Maybe the extra vram is required for full performance?

Well, slight less weird that the fastest single core cpu and the fastest gpu you can buy gets ok performance 🙂

Yes, yours and mine are similar enough though, I can get around 45 but the compromise is clarity that I dont have to compromise as much in my other flight sims.

This sim is not unlike many other titles where people that have similar machines can get wildly different performance so I expect things to iron out.   What does make things a little harder to compare is what flight simmers take as acceptable.  Most pancake games have very defined benchmarks for fps at specific resolutions and you know exactly what to expect  but with flight sims it's never that simple.  On mans great performance, as good as you could ever want, turns out to be 30fps (but smooth 🙂 ) and not great for someone else..

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

he  already explained in post  15  on the  first page of  this  thread

Nope. That post says who he wasn’t referring to, not who he was referring to. He often says criticizing MSFS is met with offense and howls but I’m not seeing it myself, so...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Out of curiosity I used the most recent version of REX WeatherForce and that brought the VR frame rate to a crawl. I'm not sure why and since then I've gone back to suffering with the MSFS live weather. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, Flying Fisherman said:

Could you elaborate on this - what about it isn't comparing well to the other headset options? I've been considering the Quest 2 vs Reverb G2 as possible upgrades from my Rift CV1 for the past few months and it seemed that the Quest 2 (at least resolution-wise) was a serious competitor and much cheaper of course. Thanks.

Jerkier when flying. Frame rates not smooth. Not sure why, but asobo obviously didn’t give much thought to oculus integration.

I never had much luck with Quest 1, but Quest 2 seemed to be working well with p3d when i flew it for many hours last weekend. Did not get the same happy experience in MSFS, it’s my least favorite of 3 HMDs i’ve tried for this sim (as per other comments, i absolutely love the quest 2 as a general VR device, go and get one anyway just not as your primary MSFS hmd!)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."