Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 in VR is Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Nope. That post says who he wasn’t referring to, not who he was referring to. He often says criticizing MSFS is met with offense and howls but I’m not seeing it myself, so...

I often say that?!? Lol, I think you’re overthinking things, Scotch. 

As I said earlier, I’m just trying to throw a bit of realism here. I’m not a fan of these Youtube videos with their WAY OVER THE TOP TITLES. HOW TO GAIN 50% MORE FPS!!!!! etc etc

Non-VR users reading these threads need to have a genuine picture of what they can expect. There’s some word not allowed who are way overselling the G2 and the VR performance of this sim. See the thread that is currently above this one with new users disappointed with their G2s as an example.

I am absolutely a VR evangelist and have been for many years. But I can also point out the faults in any given VR implementation or HMD. I’m enjoying my MSFS VR experience, but there’s plenty of improvements that still need to be made,

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

28 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Non-VR users reading these threads need to have a genuine picture of what they can expect.

So... do you believe that if some users are (apparently) having better experiences, or are happier with the current MSFS vr implementation, you are obliged to correct the record to be more in line with your feelings on the matter?

Would that indicate that your personal experiences are in some way more true/correct than those of others?

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I’m completely sold, I’ve been on DCS With the Reverb Gen 1 for more than a year with the RTX2080ti and that’s awesome. 

Although the frame rate is less in MSFS it is extremely good, certainly better than I might have expected given the talk earlier on. 

As yet I haven’t adjusted any settings at all. 

On a side note can anyone tell me whether I am using steam VR or Open XR? I’m a bit confused, one of the vids I lied I have a choice but I’m looking to get reprojection going. I think it is right now tbh but I’m not sure. Once that’s up, I’ll be more confident stuffing around with the in game settings as per various recommendations. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aidanlegras said:

Once that’s up, I’ll be more confident stuffing around with the in game settings as per various recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Personally, as an Oculus Rift S owner, I'm using the features of the Oculus tray tool to study various settings effects in realtime on internal vr performance.

Were I using Steam or WMR I would be using FpsVR: https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

With official implementation of VR into MSFS, I am very curious to know how well it is. I have a few questions and concerns, if anyone has experience and can answer them, I'd appreciate it. As it would help me make my mind on going VR or not.

1. How is flying in VR vs flying with TrackIR? What are the pros and cons?
  2. I am currently flying the sim on a 55" UHD 4K TV, will VR be noticeable better?
  3. Besides purchasing a VR headset, do I need anything extra to get full enjoyment out of MSFS?
  4. Will I be able to run my sim on ultra settings with VR?
  5. Does the TV actually have to be on while using VR, since I am viewing everything from the headset, can I shut the TV off to save energy?
  6. Do pop up windows such as The Skypark, Aivlasoft EFB, PFPX, SimToolKit Pro, Volanta, Navigraph Charts work well in VR?
  7. Will it be difficult to access keyboard commnands during flight since you can't see it? I have certain shortcuts mapped and I'm concerned about how I would see them with a VR headset on.
  8. What is the BEST VR headset that works well with MSFS out of the box?
  9. What resolution will the sim run at with a VR headset and will my computer be able to handle it?

Thanks!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

35 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Personally, as an Oculus Rift S owner, I'm using the features of the Oculus tray tool to study various settings effects in realtime on internal vr performance.

Were I using Steam or WMR I would be using FpsVR: https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

Yep got that. Any Reverb users that can tell me about OpenXR and Steamvr differences?

47 minutes ago, captain420 said:

How is flying in VR vs flying with TrackIR? What are the pros and cons?

Never had track IR

48 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I am currently flying the sim on a 55" UHD 4K TV, will VR be noticeable better?

In visual quality, no. In immersion? Probably.

48 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Besides purchasing a VR headset, do I need anything extra to get full enjoyment out of MSFS?

Not necessarily, though if you wear glasses, you might consider custom inserts.

49 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Will I be able to run my sim on ultra settings with VR?

Not with all, ultra settings active, but you have a powerful system, so you should theoretically do better than most.

51 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Does the TV actually have to be on while using VR, since I am viewing everything from the headset, can I shut the TV off to save energy?

Yes, if you actually want to.

52 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Do pop up windows such as The Skypark, Aivlasoft EFB, PFPX, SimToolKit Pro, Volanta, Navigraph Charts work well in VR?

Your mileage may vary with some of that. The oculus system has a very good ability to import outside screens, and wmr/steam also has that ability, though I find their implementation... clunkier.

53 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Will it be difficult to access keyboard commnands during flight since you can't see it? I have certain shortcuts mapped and I'm concerned about how I would see them with a VR headset on.

Depends on the headset and your own tolerance. The oculus has a space at the nose where you can actually look down fairly easily and see the keyboard. The other headsets vary. And of course there is always passthrough mode, though depending on headset, this might not be much use for reading the keyboard.

Since the Oculus has such a big "sweet spot" yanking it off for a moment and then pulling it back on is very quick and easy.

Headset with small/narrow sweet-spots I found more annoying, as I always had to fiddle quite a bit to reacquire the best clarity.

59 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What is the BEST VR headset that works well with MSFS out of the box?

Probably way too many different opinions out there for any completely definitive recommendation at this point....

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

What resolution will the sim run at with a VR headset and will my computer be able to handle it?

My computer handles it well in my opinion with the Rift S, and there should be little reason for you not to do at least as well. Others are also finding results acceptable to them with different headsets and much weaker systems than yours.....

• Like 1

Devons rig

@HiFlyer thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions and concerns!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

How do you use the Oculus tray tool real time?  When I go to desktop while running FS in VR i cannot see the tool.

Also: I am confused how to start up FS. I have to go to the Oculus VR menu (in the room), choose Steam VR, and then can startup FS. I cannot startup Steam VR directly. Is this the correct way?

Also every time I run FS I have to switch to VR mode in the Options menu.

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

So... do you believe that if some users are (apparently) having better experiences, or are happier with the current MSFS vr implementation, you are obliged to correct the record to be more in line with your feelings on the matter?

Would that indicate that your personal experiences are in some way more true/correct than those of others?

Now you’re editorialising.

But...MSFS VR is ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE?? That is...overstating the case rather a lot, both in general and specifically, given the large list of “known issues”, also known as bugs. 

Those sort of OTT headlines - exaggerated claims, with LOTS OF CAPS - are just a bit Buzzfeed for my taste.

I’m just saying...let’s keep a sense of perspective, and a touch of nuance, in our discussion of MSFS’s VR. 🙂

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

25 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

But...MSFS VR is ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE?? That is...overstating the case rather a lot, both in general and specifically, given the large list of “known issues”, also known as bugs. 

Those sort of OTT headlines - exaggerated claims, with LOTS OF CAPS - are just a bit Buzzfeed for my taste.

I’m just saying...let’s keep a sense of perspective, and a touch of nuance, in our discussion of MSFS’s VR. 🙂

Who are you the fun police?

You don’t dictate anyone’s expressions of joy around here. Go get some rest and consider taking a mental break from this as it’s never that serious.

If one wants to shout at the top of their lungs..MSFS VR IS A MIRACLE IN FLIGHT SIMMING HISTORY!!!

So be it...

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

ed·i·to·ri·al·ize

(ĕd′ĭ-tôr′ē-ə-līz′)

intr.v. ed·i·to·ri·al·ized, ed·i·to·ri·al·iz·ing, ed·i·to·ri·al·iz·es

1. To express an opinion in or as if in an editorial.
2. To present an opinion in the guise of an objective report.

31 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

And.... Your first post in this thread was not?

I posted a thread with little comment. This allowed people to watch the video and draw encouragement from it..... Or not.

You however, wrote several paragraphs presenting your opinion as authoritative, and essentially the last word, apparently in the name of setting the record straight for everyone.

As you might note above, that is the very epitome of editorializing. Which goes back to my original question: 

Do you believe that if some users are (apparently) having better experiences, or are happier with the current MSFS vr implementation, you are obliged to correct the record to be more in line with your feelings on the matter?

I seem to be hearing your answer as being "Yes."

We have stylistic differences.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Devons rig

22 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

If one wants to shout at the top of their lungs..MSFS VR IS A MIRACLE IN FLIGHT SIMMING HISTORY!!!

So be it...

But...... 🙃 😁

RQGUTY.jpg

Devons rig

20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

But...... 🙃 😁

RQGUTY.jpg

🤣😂

In a nutshell!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

Who are you the fun police?

You don’t dictate anyone’s expressions of joy around here. Go get some rest and consider taking a mental break from this as it’s never that serious.

Who are you, the "I can't understand nuance and therefore I'm offended" police, or maybe the "I am slight word not allowed police"??

The thread title is a bit silly, so I responded to it. I'm doing so as someone who is very much enjoying MSFS VR despite its shortcomings. There's a lot more stuff that I've posted in this thread that is nothing to do with that, but that's another story.

But let's do without these clickbait titles - the second video is no better - there's way too much of that nonsense on the internet already, I said before Avsim is NOT Buzzfeed. Let's not make it into "BuzzSim".

Oz