Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 in VR is Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

40 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Looks really good, what's your formula involving HMD and in sim settings?

No big, startling secrets.

As far as changes, I'm deep into trying all sorts of stuff to see what happens.

First step for me is the Oculus tray tool hud (Performance mode) to keep track of how the sim is reacting as I change stuff.

Supersampling at zero, since I want to keep all changes within the sim itself and not accidently double up any settings.

Adaptive gpu scaling does bad things for me, visually, so I leave that alone

Default ASW mode is whatever your system (and you) like.

No default tray tool profile created because the tray tool does not like the MSFS exe.

Within the sim, I start out with Asobo vr default settings.

I go to a heavy airport or city and adjust resolution until I find something acceptable to me. If I have acceptable performance over Tokyo or New york, or at a heavy airport like JFK, I figure I'm probably pretty golden anyplace else in the sim.

80 is default render resolution, but I find between 100 and 150 is more to my liking. Other peoples systems may be unhappy with this.

(Too bad no in-game resolution seems to exactly match the default of the headset)

In autogen mode, terrain level of detail is not nearly as important as it is in photogrammetry mode. Flavor to taste.

I like volumetric clouds at a minimum or "High" settings.

Trees the same, otherwise some areas are left annoyingly bare

Grass and bushes are left off in default, but if ones system can handle them........

Essentially experiment and see how far your system can get before glitches or stutters start to happen.

I originally had an overclock of 5ghz, but interestingly, found my system had better (smoother, more consistent fps) at 4.8 and below.

If you find your fps straying from 40/45 fps territory according to the oculus hud, see what happens if you play with the various ASW modes. 30 is not bad (And I have not tried 18)

Trial and error, until you find your balance!

jHNdr5.png

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On my monitor, I see the same as HiFlyer. In the Index, it's considerably less smooth. I think we all have our limits of what's bearable. Actual performance is probably quite similar.

For me, this Ars Technica article sums reflects my experience perfectly: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/microsoft-flight-simulator-finally-works-in-vr-but-not-quite-cleared-for-takeoff/

Oddly, I was more impressed when I tried VR in FSX about three years ago although I think it was the first flight sim I tried in VR so that initial 'wow' factor was present. I can absolutely understand new VR users feeling that way about MSFS's implementation.

My love for MSFS has certainly not dulled overall but I can't say VR is "absolutely unbelievable" (important to note these are the the video producer's words, not HiFlyer's - maybe an idea to pop such titles in quotes?), not at the moment.

33 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

On my monitor, I see the same as HiFlyer. In the Index, it's considerably less smooth. I think we all have our limits of what's bearable. Actual performance is probably quite similar.

In my case, monitor and in-headset are the same (except for resolution)

I'm pretty immune to VR-Sickness, but I do find stuttering and artifacts super-annoying and couldn't play if they were more than very intermittently visible. My go-to test is to turn my head side to side really fast in the headset, and if I glimpse any black borders, shimmers, stutters or etc, then it's time for more fiddling.

All that being said, I really want a larger-ram 3080 card, and can't wait until they become readily available.

Or.... I might wince and grab a 3090.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

For me, this Ars Technica article sums reflects my experience perfectly: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/microsoft-flight-simulator-finally-works-in-vr-but-not-quite-cleared-for-takeoff/

Oddly, I was more impressed when I tried VR in FSX about three years ago although I think it was the first flight sim I tried in VR so that initial 'wow' factor was present. I can absolutely understand new VR users feeling that way about MSFS's implementation.

My love for MSFS has certainly not dulled overall but I can't say VR is "absolutely unbelievable" (important to note these are the the video producer's words, not HiFlyer's - maybe an idea to pop such titles in quotes?), not at the moment.

After flying around a bunch in MSFS VR, I actually miss my FSX VR aircraft(my Learjet 35A in particular😍) and my REX clouds in FSX look better imo.

There is something I just can't put my finger on with the new sim that can't keep my full attention as my primary sim for right now.

As its tons more graphically attractive with the lighting and shadows and modern textures over FSX, but something about the core flying and feeling of satisfaction finally landing at my destination with FSX.

Flying in FSX just feels more..ummm dangerous, complicated and critical with full realism on? Than this new sim?

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 hours ago, scotchegg said:

You said ‘Lol, don’t get offended’. I ask again, in which post did you read offense?

You remember that post about four pages back where I said “You’re overthinking things”? Egg, you’re still doing it. Let it go. The world has moved on, I doubt anyone cares. Enjoy your flying, chaps!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Flying in FSX just feels more..ummm dangerous, complicated and critical with full realism on? Than this new sim?

I have never really had good memories of FSX. To me, it was always clunky, ugly, amd prone to doing strange things that required a reinstall. For most of my experience of it, I spent more time under the hood than flying.

Not to mention constant system upgrades chasing elusive performance.

My primary use for it, actually, back when the Madionion benchmarking site was still a thing, was to use it as a system stress-test, competing against others to coax just a few more frames out of it.

Devons rig

14 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

After flying around a bunch in MSFS VR, I actually miss my FSX VR aircraft(my Learjet 35A in particular😍) and my REX clouds in FSX look better imo.

There is something I just can't put my finger on with the new sim that can't keep my full attention as my primary sim for right now.

As its tons more graphically attractive with the lighting and shadows and modern textures over FSX, but something about the core flying and feeling of satisfaction finally landing at my destination with FSX.

The various sims all have their VR advantages. Full-fidelity aircraft add a lot to immersion, VR or otherwise. I’m still having a lot of fun in P3D VR with complex airliners, MSFS can’t provide that experience right now.

X-plane and AF FS2 have the advantage of good hand controller integration, which I quite like, and others really miss.

MSFS VR loses points in my book for performance, aircraft complexity and interface. But the scenery down low is great, and flying VR in the cub or similar is a lot of fun. The ability to pick a spot anywhere in the world and just go exploring is a strength that the other sims can’t currently match.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I have never really had good memories of FSX. To me, it was always clunky, ugly, amd prone to doing strange things that required a reinstall. For most of my experience of it, I spent more time under the hood than flying.

Not to mention constant system upgrades chasing elusive performance.

My primary use for it, actually, back when the Madionion benchmarking site was still a thing, was to use it as a system stress-test, competing against others to coax just a few more frames out of it.

I would never fly FSX in 2D but in VR it looks just as amazing as MSFS in VR. As stereoscopic 3d can make any object/texture look good.🤣 I never had any real issues with FSX after Steam Edition. FSX with Flyinside injection is still my best VR experience.  Tony and Dan really thought things through with the program. Tons of tuning and tweaking options for scale,LeapMotion, touch controllers, virtual windows etc etc. MSFS will eventually get to that level of VR options. Right now I just seeing both FSX and MSFS being my go to sims for a long time.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

OK, I'm getting the hang of MSFS in VR. First I've had to learn my way around MSFS as I'm brand new to actually flying it despite having got onto the original beta program. No-VR is no fun for me. My wifi is stable on 802.11ac finally and i cleared the rolling cache which seems to have remembered some flaky stored scenery from my wobbly wifi hours flying. I've worked out the Bing scenery option, switched on motion vector in OpenXR, and even though I haven't yet swapped my 1080ti for the 3090 that is sitting here in its box I am impressed and having fun. Sure it isn't as smooth as Aerofly but it is perfectly enjoyable. It must be the 3rd frame interpolation as I expected it to be very stuttery which it isn't.

I had a hairy 1/2 hour when I switched on "snow" to see what it was like. Instant change with default 5m on the ground and white out in the air. I totally lost situational awareness and despite best efforts to find a coastline and follow it back home I had to switch on the sunny skies to discover I was miles away. I brought my cessna in on fumes and for the first time had to fine tune the mixture to eek our what I had in the tank! Fantastic experience. The cockpit cabin was steaming up, so I had to hit the ventilation and heater.

I'm already loving it on my 1080ti and Samsung Odyssey - next I plug in the 3090 then I find my contact lenses (can't stand the things) and swap for the Reverb G2 while I wait for lens inserts. 

• Like 1

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

So when running on a quest 2, I've done the change in regedit so the headset can now be detected. But should i still start the MS OpenXR Developer Tool app as suggested by VRFlightsim guy? Or should I only run my oculus apps (main app + traytool or debugtool) before starting MSFS?

12 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

OpenXR Developer Tool

Don't think the oculus uses/needs that.

• Like 1

Devons rig

Well...one thing is for sure...I took the A320 high above and cruised through the clouds. Bumped up the cloud resolution just to see the potential. Seeing those clouds in VR, looking down and see clouds on lower altitudes combined with the awesome ground textures...yes it was a stuttery mess but somehow I just didn't care. Never EVER has VR flying been so immersive despite the far from smooth FPS. I got sick after 5 minutes but it was worth it (and I have been in VR since 2017)

My only concern is that users with 3080 and 3090's are not getting high enough FPS so I really hope Asobo will patch this. Because once this is smooth and runs well on highres displays....sweet mother of all that is good and pure.

29 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

My only concern is that users with 3080 and 3090's are not getting high enough FPS

i run clouds, textures and windshield on Ultra, and i have a really smooth VR expereince i am more then happy with my 3090.