Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 in VR is Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

28 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

i run clouds, textures and windshield on Ultra, and i have a really smooth VR expereince i am more then happy with my 3090.

Sweet, how many FPS are you getting? Motion reprojection?

55 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

Sweet, how many FPS are you getting? Motion reprojection?

i dont check the fps, i move my head around and when it feeels smooth i am happy, motion reprojection is off. If i turn it on it can create artifacts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

i dont check the fps, i move my head around and when it feeels smooth i am happy, motion reprojection is off. If i turn it on it can create artifacts.

Yup no point in monitoring FPS anymore. It will just have you chasing the dragon forever.

it feels good not to worry about fps any longer.

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Oculus tray tool: ASW mode Auto. Supersampling 1.0 FPS Monitored with Oculus tray tool Hud (Performance) Average FPS achieved 37-40 All in-sim settings at medium: Bloom off. Render scaling 100. Cockpit refresh rate: Low

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Oculus tray tool: ASW mode Auto. Supersampling 1.0 FPS Monitored with Oculus tray tool Hud (Performance) Average FPS achieved 37-40 All in-sim settings at medium: Bloom off. Render scaling 100. Cockpit refresh rate: Low

Bet! Giving it a go!

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 12/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, Nedo68 said:

i run clouds, textures and windshield on Ultra, and i have a really smooth VR expereince i am more then happy with my 3090.

Well I just swapped by 1080ti for a 3090 and its not smooth for me. So, now I wonder do I throw more money at this and get my CPU upgraded too or tweak the settings and wait for DLSS/DX12? I see your processor is twice as fast as mine, so I'm thinking of upgrading my i7-6700k to an i7-10700k

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-i7-10700K/3334vs2565vs3733

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

3 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

Well I just swapped by 1080ti for a 3090 and its not smooth for me. So, now I wonder do I throw more money at this and get my CPU upgraded too or tweak the settings and wait for DLSS/DX12? I see your processor is twice as fast as mine, so I'm thinking of upgrading my i7-6700k to an i7-10700k

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-i7-10700K/3334vs2565vs3733

Yah' know, when I purchased my 2080Ti for like $1500, I wondered if maybe I was paying a price beyond all reasonable sanity, just because my mind was fogged by the artificial scarcity, and oh yeah, the hype.

Now I look at the going rate on the 3090's, and I wonder if I will be able to stop myself from that last final step into total madness.......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well, I have 3080 (one of the better ones, EVGA FTW3 Ultra), Ryzen 3700X (overclocked to 4.3Ghz and liquid cooled), 64 Gb RAM, fast 2Tb SSD (plus fast 512Gb ssd for system), and Reverb G2 and the VR performance is ranging from "vomit comet" to "meh" - I'm getting high 20-s to low 30-s. And that's really bad, considering a pretty high-end PC. The most graphically intence Half-Life Alyx is butter-smooth at Ultra settings. And I know you can't compare, but it shows that there is nothing wrong with my system. But MFS isn't running well. I'm not even talking about the lack of controller support, the performance is bad. 50+ FPS on 4K at 100% render scaling should not translate to 20+FPS in G2 VR. Something is definitely wrong here, and I don't think it's my system, because I'm not alone...

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

3 hours ago, Spit40 said:

ßWell I just swapped by 1080ti for a 3090 and its not smooth for me. So, now I wonder do I throw more money at this and get my CPU upgraded too or tweak the settings and wait for DLSS/DX12? I see your processor is twice as fast as mine, so I'm thinking of upgrading my i7-6700k to an i7-10700k

Spit what headset are you running?

3 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Spit what headset are you running?

Reverb G2 - rendering at 80% at the moment via OpenXR developer.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

1 minute ago, Spit40 said:

Reverb G2 - rendering at 80% at the moment via OpenXR developer.

i doubt a new CPU will lead to a much better expereince.

All the HMD's i had the last years up to 2012 i allways preffered SteamVR because it worked best,

WMR was allways horrible, but i dont have the new G2 and no experience with the OXR soft.

So my guess is even if we would run the same CPU & GPU will would get different results

because of the different Software and HMD.

10 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

i doubt a new CPU will lead to a much better expereince.

All the HMD's i had the last years up to 2012 i allways preffered SteamVR because it worked best,

WMR was allways horrible, but i dont have the new G2 and no experience with the OXR soft.

So my guess is even if we would run the same CPU & GPU will would get different results

because of the different Software and HMD.

Oculus has been known for years to have the best asynchronous reprojection technology. Smoother graphics at slower actual framerates...

WMR apparently can work fairly well at 30fps, but I see the option for 18 in the oculus tray tool. 😵

I finally tried that, and it's actually not completely horrible, though definitely not anyone's first or even 5th choice.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

16 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Oculus has been known for years to have the best asynchronous reprojection technology. Smoother graphics at slower actual framerates...

Oculus Soft was good yes, but when FB took over i stopped using anything from them, mainly because of the future plans for PC users.

So what is the deal with the VR implementation of FS2020. Is it a bad VR implementation or simply the general FS2020 performance to blame? I mean, people with high end GPUs and CPUs tend to run it at 4K monitors with good FPS so in theory most headsets should run fine with high settings. But they just don't?

I hope it will be finetuned soon. What worries me is that MS/Asobo strangely enough didn't even consider VR initially which maybe can have an impact on performance if they just made a "quick and dirty" VR patch and called it a day?

Edited by flightsim1818

5 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

So what is the deal with the VR implementation of FS2020. Is it a bad VR implementation or simply the general FS2020 performance to blame? I mean, people with high end GPUs and CPUs tend to run it at 4K monitors with good FPS so in theory most headsets should run fine with high settings. But they just don't?

I hope it will be finetuned soon. What worries me is that MS/Asobo strangely enough didn't even consider VR initially which maybe can have an impact on performance if they just made a "quick and dirty" VR patch and called it a day?

I'm actually quite happy with my performance at the moment. I've never had vr graphics like this at such nice fps in a sim before.

In airliners, I am getting 37-40 fps, which the Oculus can easily deal with, and in lighter aircraft I am getting 50 to 57.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a vr video with an fps counter visible.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig