Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Just Flight Piper Arrow III Preview

Which engine does the JF Arrow III have?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

6 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Which engine does the JF Arrow III have?

that would be the IO-360

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

10 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

that would be the IO-360

with a 200 hp engine?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

57 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

with a 200 hp engine?

It is meant to be a PA-28R-201 where the 201 designates the approximate horsepower.  So yes a 200 HP IO-360 . 

I believe the last of the180 HP IO-360 arrows were made in 1971 about 6 years earlier than this one.

The Turbo version will also have 200 HP, it will just maintain power better at altitude.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Changelog to upcoming patch (pretty impressive):

- Icing effects added

- Propeller animations fixed

- Improvements to exterior surface detail and decals added for higher texture resolution in previously lower resolution exterior and cockpit areas

- GNS 430/530 - Power functionality and backlighting added, 2D pop-outs fixed

- Fuel selector can now be controlled using 'FUEL SELECTOR 1 LEFT/OFF/RIGHT' assignments

- Tweaks to autopilot roll control

- Improvements to FDE - idle RPM fixed, vibration/wobble reduced

- VR compatibility fixes

- Support added for the following 'set' control assignments - Battery, alternator, beacon light, landing light, navigation lights, strobe lights, pitot heat

- Landing light illumination area increased

- Cockpit texture resolution no longer reduced with lower graphical settings selected

- Autopilot and navigation lights circuit breakers now affect associated systems

- Autopilot heading mode active without autopilot engaged - fixed

- Tutorial flight files added

- Engine priming and start tweaked for greater realism, manual updated to provide more information on engine priming before start up

- Wind direction reversed on EFB - fixed

- Navigation mode will now default to VLOC/NAV unless state saving is enabled and GPS mode was selected on previous flight

- CDI on NAV/OBS 1 now responds correctly to GPS course

- GPS 100 sometimes stuck in self-test mode - fixed

- Manual changes to transponder code sometimes not triggering response from ATC - fixed

- Transponder mode changes not being recognised by ATC - fixed

- Rudder trim direction reversed - fixed

- COM and NAV audio idents - fixed

- EFB and GPS 100 displays no longer refresh when not in use for improved performance (FPS). EFB automatically turns off when hidden.

- OAT indicator fixed

- ELT set to ON when selecting cold & dark state - fixed

- Environment (e.g. cloud, taxi markings) sometimes visible in footwell - fixed

- inHG barometric setting option added to altimeters

- Mixture 'decrease incrementally' assignment fixed

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Regards, Bartek Staniszewski

8 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It is meant to be a PA-28R-201 where the 201 designates the approximate horsepower.  So yes a 200 HP IO-360 . 

I believe the last of the180 HP IO-360 arrows were made in 1971 about 6 years earlier than this one.

The Turbo version will also have 200 HP, it will just maintain power better at altitude.

Okay thanks. If you and others are interested I have found a POH at this website

https://args.com.br/arquivos/biblioteca/1/web/p28r-arrow-manual.pdf

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brosss said:

Changelog to upcoming patch (pretty impressive):

- Icing effects added

- Propeller animations fixed

- Improvements to exterior surface detail and decals added for higher texture resolution in previously lower resolution exterior and cockpit areas

- GNS 430/530 - Power functionality and backlighting added, 2D pop-outs fixed

- Fuel selector can now be controlled using 'FUEL SELECTOR 1 LEFT/OFF/RIGHT' assignments

- Tweaks to autopilot roll control

- Improvements to FDE - idle RPM fixed, vibration/wobble reduced

- VR compatibility fixes

- Support added for the following 'set' control assignments - Battery, alternator, beacon light, landing light, navigation lights, strobe lights, pitot heat

- Landing light illumination area increased

- Cockpit texture resolution no longer reduced with lower graphical settings selected

- Autopilot and navigation lights circuit breakers now affect associated systems

- Autopilot heading mode active without autopilot engaged - fixed

- Tutorial flight files added

- Engine priming and start tweaked for greater realism, manual updated to provide more information on engine priming before start up

- Wind direction reversed on EFB - fixed

- Navigation mode will now default to VLOC/NAV unless state saving is enabled and GPS mode was selected on previous flight

- CDI on NAV/OBS 1 now responds correctly to GPS course

- GPS 100 sometimes stuck in self-test mode - fixed

- Manual changes to transponder code sometimes not triggering response from ATC - fixed

- Transponder mode changes not being recognised by ATC - fixed

- Rudder trim direction reversed - fixed

- COM and NAV audio idents - fixed

- EFB and GPS 100 displays no longer refresh when not in use for improved performance (FPS). EFB automatically turns off when hidden.

- OAT indicator fixed

- ELT set to ON when selecting cold & dark state - fixed

- Environment (e.g. cloud, taxi markings) sometimes visible in footwell - fixed

- inHG barometric setting option added to altimeters

- Mixture 'decrease incrementally' assignment fixed

Impressive list which addresses a lot of the issues we all mentioned. Good work JF 🙂

• Like 5

Good looking update list.  My biggest issue (GNS430/530 pop out windows) is on there, excellent.

Interesting that they are adding icing effects given they had previously said they were waiting until the core sim icing appearance issues were dealt with.  I wonder if they’ve found a way for the plane to not look like an abominable snowman with wings when it encounters slight icing conditions?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

7 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Good looking update list.  My biggest issue (GNS430/530 pop out windows) is on there, excellent.

Interesting that they are adding icing effects given they had previously said they were waiting until the core sim icing appearance issues were dealt with.  I wonder if they’ve found a way for the plane to not look like an abominable snowman with wings when it encounters slight icing conditions?

Or when the plane ices over and drops like a rock out of the sky. Frankly, I was glad that the Arrow didn't have icing, until it is fixed to be way more realistic in MS2020. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hats off to JustFlight, that's a big update!

Good to see that the vibration/wobble has been reduced. Hopefully that means that the jitter has been toned down a bit although I have to say I've got used to it now.

Interested also in the engine start behaviour. Arrows with their old school mechanical fuel injection system in the real world are quite notoriously hard to start especially when warm. It can be a bit of an art having to juggle the mixture and the starter key at the same time as you feed the mixture in from cut off as soon as it fires. If you're too quick they will flood or vapour lock very easily. It always seems too easy to start in the sim to me.

• Like 3

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

7 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

Interested also in the engine start behaviour. Arrows with their old school mechanical fuel injection system in the real world are quite notoriously hard to start especially when warm. It can be a bit of an art having to juggle the mixture and the starter key at the same time as you feed the mixture in from cut off as soon as it fires. If you're too quick they will flood or vapour lock very easily. It always seems too easy to start in the sim to me.

Apparently one of the issues with MSFS engine starts is if you set the engine to wind over a realistic length of time before firing, hardware starter switches/buttons on remote devices will fail to start the aircraft.

5 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Apparently one of the issues with MSFS engine starts is if you set the engine to wind over a realistic length of time before firing, hardware starter switches/buttons on remote devices will fail to start the aircraft.

Ah I can understand that.

I also guess that in the sim code, mixture cut off means cut off and the engine won't fire at all, whereas in reality the engine will fire on the residual vapours that are in the fuel lines before you enrichen the mixture.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

This is a nice update. I've tried to find out myself, where do you guys get these updates? Is this update already released?

41 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Or when the plane ices over and drops like a rock out of the sky. Frankly, I was glad that the Arrow didn't have icing, until it is fixed to be way more realistic in MS2020. 

The aerodynamic effects of icing are already present but without any corresponding visual effects, which can make it very difficult for people flying with Live Weather to understand what is going on with their aircraft short of using LittleNavMap and looking at the % Structural Icing in the aircraft status window. (Especially since there is nothing in the documentation that explicitly points this out)

The extent of the icing map over the aircraft textures is chosen by the aircraft maker, so they should be able to make 100% correspond to a more subtle visual condition. 

The scaling between 0 and 100% is still determined by the weather engine, but again that is already happening, just with no visual indication...

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Just now, marsman2020 said:

The aerodynamic effects of icing are already present but without any corresponding visual effects, which can make it very difficult for people flying with Live Weather to understand what is going on with their aircraft short of using LittleNavMap and looking at the % Structural Icing in the aircraft status window. 

The extent of the icing map over the aircraft textures is chosen by the aircraft maker, so they should be able to make 100% correspond to a more subtle visual condition. 

The scaling between 0 and 100% is still determined by the weather engine, but again that is already happening, just with no visual indication...

Ah OK, I have never had this effect in the Arrow, but I have been avoiding icing type weather lately when I fly anyway, because frankly with the entire airframe covered in 2 inches of ice,  it looks a bit ridiculous. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310