Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Terrain issues after 1.12.13.0 update

Even if I love MSFS, I now I am f.. tired of all this issues every time there is an update. The terrain spikes is killing my love for this simulator.

Time to move back to a stable platform, P3Dv5 or XPLANE11

Edited by rksoftware
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I fly out of KROA in SW Virginia, USA.  I have had these every few miles since I originally downloaded the sim.  Some were massive and some were big humps.  With this update, I have only a few and not any in the Roanoke Valley where I live.  They have become the exception rather than the rule.  Makes it a new experience as my attention was always drawn to those imperfections.  Looks great here!

John Wingold

2 hours ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

I fly out of KROA in SW Virginia, USA.  I have had these every few miles since I originally downloaded the sim.  Some were massive and some were big humps.  With this update, I have only a few and not any in the Roanoke Valley where I live.  They have become the exception rather than the rule.  Makes it a new experience as my attention was always drawn to those imperfections.  Looks great here!

KROA is one of my favorite airports, as I used to live in the area. There has been an fix available at flightsim.to for the past month or so that got rid of all spikes/bumps in SW Virginia, including the Roanoke area (and that giant one at KROA), but now Asobo is fixing them. Without the fix there are still a few south of Roanoke, but much better now. The latest update seemed to fix all of the Smith Mt Lake and Roanoke River elevation problems also. Now we just need an addon for the star! There was a nice one for FSX.

Edited by desbean
  • Like 1

I noticed one of these near Rosamond, CA, didn't realize it was a worldwide thing.

The visuals are one of this big things this game has going for it, so to wreck those right before the holiday season is....less then optimal.

I am worried this product will never be stable.  The have created a house of cards where every attempt at an update causes new problems.  Even with a 4 week update interval vs a 2 week interval.

I started playing with Ortho4XP in XP11.  I'd need a dedicated hard drive to hold it all, but better to have something fixed that works vs something that can be broken at any time.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I live in eastern Ontario, Canada, and that's where I first noticed them.  There are so many all over the place that I couldn't even start to point them out.  Everywhere you look the terrain is sticking up in the air.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I see them too. They got flatten as I get close to them. They are  annoying I agree, but no reason for a mass psychosis with "that it I'm going back to....". In a few weeks Asobo will fix it.

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

37 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I see them too. They got flatten as I get close to them. They are  annoying I agree, but no reason for a mass psychosis with "that it I'm going back to....". In a few weeks Asobo will fix it.

Sure hope so... the shoreline problems which appeared after the previous update are not fixed yet.. so this is two steps backward as far as I am concerned..

Lets hope... 🤔

• Like 1

Bert

13 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Sure hope so... the shoreline problems which appeared after the previous update are not fixed yet.. so this is two steps backward as far as I am concerned..

Lets hope... 🤔

By the way the shoreline kind of share same property when you fly very close it’s gets corrected itself . I filed this bug two or three builds ago. I guess overall “photometry” issues are on a long list of fixes. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

By the way the shoreline kind of share same property when you fly very close it’s gets corrected itself . I filed this bug two or three builds ago. I guess overall “photometry” issues are on a long list of fixes. 

Agreed - most likely new mesh data they imported with the USA update requiring updates to their flattening and shoreline algorithms.

16 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Agreed - most likely new mesh data they imported with the USA update requiring updates to their flattening and shoreline algorithms.

On a bright side autopilot is fixed 🙂 CJ4 and FBW 320 are awesome!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

For those who know how to use an example of the SDK and QGIS 3 software, there is a method in order to create self-correction for your aberrations while waiting for Asobo to find a solution.

The post published by Henrikx on reddit.com three months ago :  

The howto to create yourself the good BGL : https://docs.takset.net/books/msfs/page/fixing-lake-elevation-data-with-osm-and-heightmaps.ths ago

Good exercices !

• Like 2

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

11 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

There are so many all over the place that I couldn't even start to point them out.  Everywhere you look the terrain is sticking up in the air.

I might take a look at Canada, but I am assuming Asobo is going to fix these around Dec 31st - Jan 10th.

For the US at least, and for people that keep saying they are "all over the place", they really aren't. Only about 500 known elevation errors in the US so far compared to almost 10,000 errors before the last update. I have macro scanned the entire US and fixed most of them, about to post an update, but I cannot see the small ones in a macro-scan, so have to rely on user reports as well. Yes, the spikes just happen to be near major or popular airports to fly out of, that's why people keep seeing them. 

Basically, Asobo has already fixed the US, any remaining ones that exist will be an easy cleanup task for them, unless they just totally goof it up, these should be gone in an update or two. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

We are on a 4 week update schedule now. The earliest we will see a fix from Asobo is the end of January.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

It doesn't require an update for them to change the terrain unless they are changing the algorithm itself, it is automatic in the stream. We know this because the terrain changed for people that had left their PC's on, and this happened before people even downloaded the update. I doubt they will wait for the next major update as much as people are griping about it, but anything is possible.

New version with latest fixes for US posted here:
https://flightsim.to/file/4402/elevation-fixes-eastern-us

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram