Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Terrain issues after 1.12.13.0 update

No one is saying there's not such an issue - I'm just trying to diagnose if the issue is server-side or client-side by applying some common sense. There's really no need for an agressive response and name-calling.

Ignoring issues won't help, but "Developers at Asobo are just a bunch of <insert name here>s" reactions won't help either.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

I think his point was, regardless of the issue, there is a small subset of users that will always try to convince that the software is perfect and people have their PC's configured incorrectly, or its only their PC. Like I noted prior, I cannot guarantee it happens to everyone, because I am not everyone, and I've seen stranger things before happen in software. That said, it is happening to the majority, so it is an Asobo issue (regardless if the problem is triggered by the DEM data or client correction/client data - of which I've seen zero evidence). All evidence points to that it is actually happening to everyone because the data is coming from the server, and because I have exposure to multiple PC's and multiple users. Even for a criminal trial, you only need beyond reasonable doubt, there really aren't that many cases that have zero doubt. So no, cannot say I have zero doubt, but can be as certain as anyone can be certain.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Unfortunately, that was then reported incorrectly. The impression arose that, as a developer, you could get the problem with the spike under control - worldwide. Maybe it would be better to differentiate more. Flat-rate everything doesn't get us any further here.

What is described here is not about the spikes that occurred after the update. And it's only about these spikes and not about "holes in the elevation data". How to correct them is well known, @lagaffe has already described it and provided a starting point for it in his link.

Edited by Christian Bahr

For a sophisticated flight simulation
www.bahrometrix.de

Yes, just to confirm i am seeing also a lot of this spikes and terraformed terrain.

Last flight i started in Oslo i think it was, and right in front of my start runway i saw somewhat deformed terrain coming up allmost had to bring my plane from course by handflying..😏

It`s all around, some here some there..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I just read my post again. Reading is fundamental.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I'm just trying to diagnose if the issue is server-side or client-side by applying some common sense.

This is exactly the way to go 🙂

After all, it is of no use to anyone if you only trample on problems, that way you get no further. It's purely about a solution, and it seems to be possible to try one or the other, for example the message with the server. Does this mean the server that I have preset in the main menu?

For a sophisticated flight simulation
www.bahrometrix.de

Unless you have the full DEM to replace the underlying mesh of an entire country, just using the automated or manual QGIS method is not the same as replacing the mesh and it is inferior to hand corrections. It is much faster for certain, but it is inferior to just using hand-layed Polys. The one outlined in that document is talking about creating corrections / overlay, but actually replacing the entire mesh is a different technique (one person did Finland), but it is a LOT of data, so the download would be like 20+ GB for the US if someone actually uploaded a mod that could totally replace the mesh. You can try the plain QGIS method, but the end result is so-so, depending what you are correcting.

When I tried to use QGIS to just do overlay corrections (manual or automated), it's not worth it because you still get issues and you cause new issues. IT's easier to just manually find the error and then go correct it manually by laying a polygon in dev mode IMO, but yes some areas like Canada might be easier by using QGIS generated polys, but it won't look as good in cities near mtns (unless I did it wrong, there is a chance since I only tried the QGIS method once), but it doesn't take that long to manually correct. Most of the errors are too spread out to use QGIS, it would take forever to get all that DEM data for every individual country if you are only doing 5 corrections here or 5 corrections there, but there are some exceptions like Norway / Canada / Alaska which are a total mess (and parts of Japan too). By the time you imported the data into QGIS, I would have already had the area manually corrected (I mean I can lay down about 100 corrections in only an hour or less).

I already have a good start, so if anyone wants to help, then let's stop discussing what the problem is and look towards improving the overall MOD until Asobo fixes the underlying issue.

As I noted before, if anyone wants to do any corrections, please let me know and I'll be glad to add them to my mod. You can just do a separate hand-corrected poly shape file in Dev mode. I don't care if you do them by hand or do them in QGIS for areas I have not yet covered.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

The problem is really annoying. And nobody knows, when Asobo will solve the problem. I saw some 3.-party meshes (e.g. Taburet) for MSFS. Is it possible that these could solve the problem temporarily...? 

Today I also have noticed that when starting a flight the plane parked on tarmac was floating about 30cm above the ground, there were elevation issues all over the airport too.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

16 minutes ago, LarsA said:

The problem is really annoying. And nobody knows, when Asobo will solve the problem. I saw some 3.-party meshes (e.g. Taburet) for MSFS. Is it possible that these could solve the problem temporarily...? 

It's not possible to generate and import all that data for all over the world quickly, no matter what method is used, it would be a silly giant project to cover the world, not one anyone would care to take on when Asobo might fix it at any moment.

Asobo fixed it fast last time (they fixed MOST of the Eastern US), so I would say we just need a little patience. I've provided corrections for most of the US (twice), and now I have also done part of the world, that should be enough to hold people over until Asobo has the fix ready. The US is 99% fixed with my US mod, but for the rest of the world, it's just too big of an area to fully take on. I've done enough corrections for now, I may revise a litle, but am taking a break from doing some huge project.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

Typical case for MSFS and a nice example how we are dependant on the quality of the streamed data. Basically this is the prize you pay for world wide coverage like we have in MSFS... Hope they fix this soon, I am already tired about those mandatory updates rendering the sim worse than before...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

7 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

It's not possible to generate and import all that data for all over the world quickly, no matter what method is used, it would be a silly giant project to cover the world, not one anyone would care to take on when Asobo might fix it at any moment.

Asobo fixed it fast last time (they fixed MOST of the Eastern US), so I would say we just need a little patience. I've provided corrections for most of the US (twice), and now I have also done part of the world, that should be enough to hold people over until Asobo has the fix ready. The US is 99% fixed with my US mod, but for the rest of the world, it's just too big of an area to fully take on. I've done enough corrections for now, I may revise a litle, but am taking a break from doing some huge project.

Thanks for your answer and your fixes - I will try them! 

I am frustrated. I got Game Pass in August, and I realized the game had lots of issues. I decided then to cancel it and wait some months. I upgraded my PC and I bought the deluxe version yesterday and spotted this elevation issues in lots of places. Not only in USA. Unbelievable. 

Edited by Matheus Vallim
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Matheus Vallim said:

I am frustrated. I got Game Pass in August, and I realized the game had lots of issues. I decided then to cancel it and wait some months. I upgraded my PC and I bought the deluxe version yesterday and spotted this elevation issues in lots of places. Not only in USA. Unbelievable. 

I bought the premium on release and a ton of payware airports and several payware planes. Can you imagine how I feel? I can't fly anywhere without seeing a mesh anomaly. This has all been caused by these ASOBO updates. I thought that they were only going to release updates every few months. I guess NOT!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just fly in the US or some airport that has been corrected or doesn't have an issue, there are still plenty of those. I just do short flights, it really doesn't bother me too much, but it's a good time to explore new areas if too many of your flights are in places with mesh errors. I haven't seen any serious mesh errors in the US that remain uncorrected after the mod. There are still crawling water and coastal issues, but you can ignore those pretty easily.

Most of Mexico, Central America, and South America looked clean too, though admittedly I didn't check all of it. There are plenty of places to fly, and we have mods, so don't let it get to you is my advice...

Maybe pick up some Greece airports and pretend you are playing Assassin's Creed 🙂

I'm off to do a flight out of Mexico City, haven't really explored that area too much.

Edited by Alpine Scenery