Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Terrain issues after 1.12.13.0 update

Clearly I know nothing about this stuff, but I would think naively that a simple if/then statement in the code would avoid these gross artefacts (which I do not understand were not noticed by the team when testing the last update), something like "If crazy elevation jump in the mesh over small area, just flatten it out"
Just flew out of Torino and the four giant spikes right north of the airport are not pretty... and they show up everywhere I've been flying since the update (NA and Western Europe)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Typical case for MSFS and a nice example how we are dependant on the quality of the streamed data. Basically this is the prize you pay for world wide coverage like we have in MSFS... Hope they fix this soon, I am already tired about those mandatory updates rendering the sim worse than before...

Literally every update tho, I can finally play again since the Tokyo update so there’s that. 

25 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Just flew out of Torino and the four giant spikes right north of the airport are not pretty... and they show up everywhere I've been flying since the update (NA and Western Europe)

Torino was corrected in the mod, I get the complaints guys (I really do), but if we are going to complain, can we please complain about places that haven't been corrected 🙂

https://flightsim.to/file/5198/elevation-fixes-around-the-world

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

10 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Clearly I know nothing about this stuff, but I would think naively that a simple if/then statement in the code would avoid these gross artefacts (which I do not understand were not noticed by the team when testing the last update), something like "If crazy elevation jump in the mesh over small area, just flatten it out"

Since the water itself is spiking, there should be variables in there that can be conditionally evaluated to prevent it from spiking, but it's most likely someone wrote some bad spaghetti code trying to mix client/server interaction for corrections and the code isn't easy to update because you nail down one board and the other side flops up (hence fix one elevation, another one pops up), so no simple if/then without changing the spaghetti code most likely.

Other than doing it conditionally, Its a trig problem, it's not that hard, but you have to take the slope and calculate it against a probability of the nearest prominence of the slope next to it. There are probably at least 6 different ways to solve it mathematically though I'd guess, I certainly don't know them all off the top of my head.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Just fly in the US or some airport that has been corrected or doesn't have an issue, there are still plenty of those. I just do short flights, it really doesn't bother me too much, but it's a good time to explore new areas if too many of your flights are in places with mesh errors. I haven't seen any serious mesh errors in the US that remain uncorrected after the mod. There are still crawling water and coastal issues, but you can ignore those pretty easily.

Most of Mexico, Central America, and South America looked clean too, though admittedly I didn't check all of it. There are plenty of places to fly, and we have mods, so don't let it get to you is my advice...

Maybe pick up some Greece airports and pretend you are playing Assassin's Creed 🙂

I'm off to do a flight out of Mexico City, haven't really explored that area too much.

I agree! There are still some beautiful places to explore:

vccIBBj.png

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I still believe this is not a mesh issue, but rather a software issue. Both X-Plane and Prepar3D have really nice default meshes, it just doesn't make sense that Asobo don't have access to a similar high-quality mesh. It makes a lot more sense that it's rather a processing issue on the software side, not a raw mesh data issue.

This also means manually changing elevation data would just be hiding the issue, instead of eliminating the underlying cause. It's still better than nothing until Asobo comes up with an actual fix though.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

There's another bump just north or Cordoba city (Spain).

I'm not sure, but I think there are more spikes and bumps near cities.

Am I all right?

1 hour ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I still believe this is not a mesh issue, but rather a software issue. Both X-Plane and Prepar3D have really nice default meshes, it just doesn't make sense that Asobo don't have access to a similar high-quality mesh.

It's a math issue, when we say "mesh" we are talking about the end result. It should have been corrected, but someone mixed spaghetti math with spaghetti code is what it is. I know because I've been in that exact situation before, and even though the problem is simple to understand, it's a lot of work to solve because you are coding around someone elses spaghetti dinner, especially if you are worried about breaking something.

It's an error in the discreteness and/or rounding of the quantizer to translate the water's coordinate system into an area of pixels to the game engine's round earth coordinate model within that tiny confined area of those water cones. There's a mismatch or a data error somewhere in their data which is either null'd out or just too big of a number, and they have spaghetti code trying to fix it. My guess is there some bug deep in the code that is supposed to look for null values around water or improper coordinate rounding, and it's replacing the null with a big number, which is why we see the spikes. That's why it happens only in certain areas, it's a mathematical anomaly from multiple roundings that triggers it, or it's just corrupt data that is being provided.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Saw 3 spikes just flying from San Jose KSJC to Sacramento  CA. These were never here before the update.

Jim

I can confirm, I'm seeing spikes, taking off from Torino Caselle (LIMF) airport on rwy 36. Spikes starts to appear as soon as my wheels aare off the ground.

I asked to a friend of mine to perform the same take off, and he reported the same behaviour (different pc with different graphic card.).

The latest update of mappamundi's Scenery Glitch Fixes on flightsim.to is a knock-out.   They claim that it should fix these spike issues globally, and from the places I've spot checked that seems to bet the case.  

It's a somewhat big download, but worth checking out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kaosfere said:

The latest update of mappamundi's Scenery Glitch Fixes on flightsim.to is a knock-out.   They claim that it should fix these spike issues globally, and from the places I've spot checked that seems to bet the case.  

Yup, it's good but it's also depressing that the CGL method worked because it means Asobo is meandering about and not productively fixing stuff that isn't hard to fix. I saw someone mention a CGL method before, but I never tried it thinking it would be too much trouble, or that if it were "that easy" Asobo would have fixed it.

For the US, there are still many areas that are problematic after that "global mod", so I left the US one active. I redirected all international users to try that one first instead of mine, and I discontinued it. I have some experience using those GIS tools, but I guess I should have read more into the CGL method, not sure where he got the documentation on how to fix it, possibly what he did was use the mesh guide that one guy recently posted on a Github and he just exported the differences (only the conflicts). 

I always thought in terms of replacing the entire mesh is just too big of a file, but I never thought of just exporting the differences, which is what I am assuming he did.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

On 12/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, Alpine Scenery said:

Torino was corrected in the mod, I get the complaints guys (I really do), but if we are going to complain, can we please complain about places that haven't been corrected 🙂

https://flightsim.to/file/5198/elevation-fixes-around-the-world

No, let's complain about everything because it's not up to the community to fix bugs and it's not up to the users to download every ***** small area from a 3rd party website before starting the game.

So much for the "USA update".

75dpvPW.jpeg

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

6 hours ago, kaosfere said:

The first comment says there are still issues in USA after installing this mod.

We want a global fix from Asobo or the possibility to revert to previous builds disabling multiplayer. This downward spiral in the quality of the game update after update is not acceptable for an AAA title.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5