Sign in to follow this  
Jetman67

Finally VR working with quest 1 and link

Pretty impressed with VR on the quest 1, not perfect but better than I had running with P3D, link cable can be very temperamental at times and only way I could get VR working was to log out of steam and use the openxr app from Microsoft store and set the path to the oculus 64 exe in the registry, before doing this it was horrible even in the Sim menus now it's mostly rock solid with the occasional jitter and instability but boy does it look good, night is brilliant and made me feel like I was in a real plane again. I think the reverb G2 would be something special if a Quest 1 is usable with a I7 8700k and 1080ti combo

Edited by Jetman67

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I brought through the ms store

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, Jetman67 said:

Pretty impressed with VR on the quest 1, not perfect but better than I had running with P3D, link cable can be very temperamental at times and only way I could get VR working was to log out of steam and use the openxr app from Microsoft store and set the path to the oculus 64 exe in the registry, before doing this it was horrible even in the Sim menus now it's mostly rock solid with the occasional jitter and instability but boy does it look good, night is brilliant and made me feel like I was in a real plane again. I think the reverb G2 would be something special if a Quest 1 is usable with a I7 8700k and 1080ti combo

does this mean that you start the OpenXR dev Tool and run in the background after you have updated the registry? Ie you use the openXR app AND Oculus main app before starting FS? I thought the OpenXR app was for WMR headsets only?

1 hour ago, flightsim1818 said:

does this mean that you start the OpenXR dev Tool and run in the background after you have updated the registry? Ie you use the openXR app AND Oculus main app before starting FS? I thought the OpenXR app was for WMR headsets only?

I have it closed so not sure if it does anything for quest 1

Wayne such

With my Quest 1 I can't get MSFS and Oculus OpenXR to run at anything over about 25fps, even with everything reduced to minimum. Low everything = about 25, and Ultra everything = about 25. It looks best with ATW (no ASW)

Other games with OpenXR are working amazingly well.

However, it is certainly better than the performance I get with SteamVR.

Edited by dogmanbird

I also get some random flickering with the cockpit and also suffer low fps even on lowest setting but still fairly smooth using quest 1

Wayne such

I honestly don't look at fps in VR, I know VR can be incredibly taxing so i just find settings that are acceptable

Wayne such

I reinstalled Oculus Software and activated the Beta version. Set everything to default. I also turned off ASW. That gave me a little smoother VR experience on my Q2 with the 1080ti. But yeah, it is flickering and stuttering especially close to the ground.

ASW doesn't seem to work at all in MSFS. At least not with Quest2 linked...

Edited by flightsim1818

I guess with MSFS being marketed with the G2, and hardly anyone being able to obtain a G2 at this point, it wouldn't make sense allowing the competitors headsets to work "too well"  🙂

Edited by dogmanbird

2 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

I guess with MSFS being marketed with the G2, and hardly anyone baing able to obtain a G2 at this point, it wouldn't make sense to have the competitors  headsets working "too well"  🙂

Even though I tend to use my tinfoil hat quite often, I wonder if this is the case. If it runs really bad on headsets with lower resolution than G2 then people might get loose their potential interest in the G2. I mean...why bother with higher res if it runs like word not allowed on more GPU friendly headsets...

I think the Quest is not optimal for MSFS. Too much GPU power is used to render and send data through the link. I normal games it is of little concern but a beast like MSFS eats everything on the plate in a heartbeat.