Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Successfully interfaced FSX with Google Earth! Screenshots !!!

Guest Challenger604

I agree that is what FSX should have been. But hopefully the next release will take advantage of what Microsoft has to offer.

Very very cool!One thing I have read is that the MSN service has very liberal licensing for commercial developers, as in free (who knows...maybe a lesson learned for FS :) ). Now I can't say if what you're doing is actually permitted under the developer

Guest cbuchner1

I shall give you one more screen shot of the latest experiment with 1024x1024 pixel tiles at roughly 1m/pixel resolution. The loading performance is abysmal, the simulator can't keep up with the demand for loading ground texture in realtime . I've definitely hit some hard limits there. Again this image is at a quarter of the original resolution, I play at 1920x1200 and the ground scenery appears very crisp.In this shot you see that the built in FSX ground objects are actually detrimental to the realism - notice how the stadium spoils everything. Very cool is that you can even discern individual cars at that resolution. The photorealism is quite stunning. Some ground detail got lost just by downscaling the image for this forum. ;-)Airport ground texture appears as extremely ugly because it just hides the photo scenery and appears in a monotonous color. Is there a way to globally disable all default (non photo terrain) airport ground textures, except for runways?Christianhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162288.jpg

Guest triangle

Wow .. those shots look much better than I had expected when i first read the thread title. That's interesting stuff ... I am sure Google would be interested in talking about some sort of commercial add-on for FS that uses their map data. There's probably alot of extensibility in a product like that so, no doubt, lots of sales to be made to repeat customers.Cool stuff and great job.Triangle

This is a hoax isn't it? Looks like an aircraft pasted overtop of a GE screen capture. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest unitedpilot36

I'll eat my hat when GE looks that good.

Guest tmilton

That looks very impressive! Great work!Might this be the wave of the future?

Guest Ichinin

I found this while looking for something else:http://fsearth.fsutil.com/Seems like someone is doing something similar, but maby they have a valid license or something. Could be worth investigating how they got that (if they have one) if you want to go ahead and make a competing product.

Guest cbuchner1

The difference is that they use the official Google Earth client application and interface with it through published APIs, while my program takes a back door to Google's data and directly imports texture (no elevation data or 3D buildings though) into FSX.

Interesting use of Samba. The developer of Samba, Andrew Tridgewell, was best man at my son's weddding last Saturday. I must let him know that someone has found a use for his creation in flight simulation.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Herrie

I would like to see a cockpit view....Herrie