Sign in to follow this  
hvw

CTDs after December 2020 update

Can everyone having these recent CTD issues try turning all traffic OFF just to test.  No live traffic and no AI traffic and try a couple of flights.  It might bring all of us closer to figuring out if it's traffic related or not.  It could be some ATC interaction with traffic, so it wouldn't matter if it's live traffic or AI traffic.  It could also be a new SimConnect issue having to do with traffic, or ATC.

No traffic and report back

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

7 minutes ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Can everyone having these recent CTD issues try turning all traffic OFF just to test.  No live traffic and no AI traffic and try a couple of flights.

I have live traffic ON all the time and have no CTDs after I disabled rolling cache a few days ago

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

1 hour ago, hvw said:

Isn't it strange how many different occasions of CTDs have been described/reported? Some of us had problems in common, some of us had just opposite problems like live traffic vs AI traffic. One thing they all had in common, though, all these CTDs occurred only after the last, December 2020, update. Will there ever be a FS2020 update that will not cause any problems for users, I wonder? (Just a rhetorical question 🙂 ).

What is also strange is that the majority of users are not having any CTD's.

Like me.

I've never had a single CTD since release, and all through the updates. And yes, I have the FBW and WT mods, as well as the DA-40 mod. I have always had live traffic turned on. I almost always use live weather. I do NOT have multiplayer turned on. I do NOT overclock any of my hardware. I keep Win10 up to date. Sometimes I have Little Nav Map running. Sometimes I have NeoFly running. Sometimes, during a long flight, I'll fire up Chrome and check the forums. Still no CTD.

It is weird.

My guess is that there is some setting or program running in Win10 that is causing these CTD's for others. And it is my opinion that MFS2020's error handling could be a bit better. Unless that Win10 setting or program is simply killing the MFS2020 process. But from those posting events showing that the executable faulted, that may not be the case. Most of the events that I've seen posted show a c0000005 error. This is a memory access error (access denied). Most likely caused by a buffer overrun. But what buffer is being overrun?

Who knows? Not me.

I wish you all luck figuring it out.

...jim

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

4 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

And it is my opinion that MFS2020's error handling could be a bit better.

Agreed, a whole lot better 🙂

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Of course, I've probably jinxed myself and will now have endless CTD's... 😉

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

22 hours ago, zetato said:

@RodgerC, if not, try to set OFF the traffic 😉

Mauro

Will do, I just had another CTD... Man I'm so tired of this.  Only 1 CTD prior to this last update, now can hardly get a flight in without a CTD...

So far the only thing I've disabled to try and stop the CTD's is megapack liveries, but I have not disabled live traffic. Have flown 3 flights since and no CTD. My flight today was KMSN-Madison, WI to KASE-Aspen, CO in the CJ4 running the latest workingtitle aircraft and avionics mods - 2 1/2 hours and no CTD. I loaded a flightplan using the simbrief function in the MCD, added a STAR and RNAV approach for KASE and all worked flawlessly. Man the RNAV 15 into Aspen is steep!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I have had two CTDs in a row with Carenado Mooney after the latest patch.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Hey all, 

I was also facing CTD issues that I tried to trouble shoot yesterday. They would happen all pretty consistently on a certain route and certain location. I narrowed it down scenery wise to the Aerosoft Paderborn scenery (coming into a 40nm range of it). There is some discussion going on in the official forums on CTD's when flying into certain areas/certain sceneries.

What I then did is:

- Turn off / delete rolling cache -> Did not solve
- Turn off Multiplayer / AI -> Did not solve
- Limit FPS to 30fps in the Driver Control Center (AMD for me but also for NVIDIA possible) -> NO CTD

I am not 100% sure this solved the issue for good, I will need to test more but at least for the one repeatable CTD it solved the issue. I will need to keep testing. The limit FPS was also suggested in the official forums, so might be worth a try...

14 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Can everyone having these recent CTD issues try turning all traffic OFF just to test.  No live traffic and no AI traffic and try a couple of flights.  It might bring all of us closer to figuring out if it's traffic related or not.  It could be some ATC interaction with traffic, so it wouldn't matter if it's live traffic or AI traffic.  It could also be a new SimConnect issue having to do with traffic, or ATC.

No traffic and report back

In all of the test that I documented earlier AI Traffic has been OFF.

Just to put things in another perspective: could it be an overheating protection? The process of MSFS maybe killed by Windows to protect overheating of the hardware?
It could be that some (graphical) settings are too high for certain hardware. For instance, I see my 1080ti go to 98% almost constantly which could result in a overheating.