Sign in to follow this  
RichieFly

A Christmas tale about my RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

23 hours ago, mazelda said:

So its a 5950x with a 3090 gpu the evga ftw3 ultra, on a crossfire hero wifi mobo , z73 aio for cpu, 32gb ram 4x8gb sticks at 3600mhz cas 16, a 1200w psu, a 2tb m.2 nvme 

Way over the top, but not planning on doing any upgrades for a few years.

Have dealt with Scan in the past, and for me they have always been pretty good.

So if the card packs up they will replace it .

Although i hope it will not,  as my current card is a 980ti

I went for the 10900k as I didn't regard the increase in performance as sufficient to make we wait for the new AMD CPU's. Plus I'm not that fond of the temp spiking characteristics of AMD CPU's. And more familiar with Intel. 

For Board I went for the Asus Maximus XII Hero. I like Asus boards, rarely have I had any issues. Like the features. 

RAM Is from my favourite manufacturer. GSkill Trident Z RGB 32gb - 2x16gb - 3600mhz C17. Thing I like about GSkill RAM is how reliable they are and overclockable above the XMP overclock. 

PSU is  EVGA 1000 watt G+ Awesome 10 years warranty and again, reliable. Great customer support. 

Storage is 970 Evo Plus 2TB

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 of course with the black lips. Black lips are the revised version of the card. 

Still need case, which will probably be the Phanteks Evolv X. I have the Evolv TG for my present PC. Great case but the newer X version has much better airflow and some very useful cable management features. 

Still need to get a monitor. Thinking 1440P and a high refresh rate. 

I'll probably order some CableMod custom cables. ModMesh Pro series. 

I'm not an RGB fanatic but I don't mind a subtle glow. And the RGB products enable me to set the precise colour I favour. 

Edited by martin-w

20 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Haha yeah great idea Martin all 5 of us in the WORLD that own a RTX3090. So crazy, I'm so lucky to have got one.

Mine has the Black luckily as I hated the red look. Not to mention my build is all Black. Saves me from having to paint it.

I will note however when I installed EVGA Precision it automatically updated the cards firmware. As I installed precision right away to change the lighting I cannot say weather this change made any difference to the cards performance either way.  

The new firmware may be related to the POSCAP issue. GPU Boost has been tweaked on most of the cards. Downclocked slightly. Not enough to be noticed. I recall there's an XOC BIOS for extreme overclocking too. 

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

I went for the 10900k as I didn't regard the increase in performance as sufficient to make we wait for the new AMD CPU's. Plus I'm not that fond of the temp spiking characteristics of AMD CPU's. And more familiar with Intel. 

For Board I went for the Asus Maximus XII Hero. I like Asus boards, rarely have I had any issues. Like the features. 

I was so close in going with the exact same cpu mobo combo but plumped for the amd

Only time will tell if its the wrong decision. At the end of the day it is still lightning quick 

I have a 1440p monitor. Memory is still a bit of a mystery to me but hopefully with a cas of 16 and the fact i can dial in an exact fclk of 1800 it should work well with cpu.

The only thing i'm undecided with totally, is the casing,but a lot of the reviews seem to like it

And i have another case that i can use if need be. 

I'm too old in the tooth to worry about rgb,  so that was never a consideration when i was specing parts.The biggest decision was wait for the individual components and build myself or spend a bit more and get it prebuilt 

I went for the latter, which if youtube sources are to be believed, cpu and gpu prices are about to sky rocket to the point that if correct i will, have saved money in the long run.

Us ftw3 will have to stick together  lol there aint many of us

Pete Little

Hi,

I don't usually post this kind of thing, but I too have a new pc from Scan with the 3090, system is:

NZXT H710 Black Case

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Motherboard

Intel Core i9 10900K overclocked to 5.1 GHz

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Pro XT Cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200Mhz DDR4

EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Graphic card (black lips)

Corsair RM850X Gold Power Supply

500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for Operating System

2TB M2 NVMe Samsung 970 EVO for Flight Sim

I use an Iiyama PL4372UH 43 inch 4k Monitor and a Rift S.

I am not a great fan of RGB either, but have everything set to a soothing blue.

Very happy with the machine for MSFS and assorted games too.

Dave.

PS   How do I prevent the line spacing when starting a new line?

Not sure about the lines Dave but by looking at your spec,we chose almost the same system. I phoned them up and did some tweaks of 2 different 3xs systems.

Having dealt with them before i have got them to add extra cabling for a couple of drives that i will add in myself.

How have you found the cooling with that casing? That was my only concern.Also where did they put your radiator? Hopefully top mounted 

Cheers

Pete Little

Hi Pete,

Mine was a tweaked 3XS system and I had them cable for extra drives from my previous machine too.

Radiator is fitted at the top - I run MSFS with Ultra settings at 4k and temperatures are fine even with reasonable fan settings.

Dave.

13 hours ago, mazelda said:

Us ftw3 will have to stick together  lol there aint many of us

We are an elite bunch, bit like the SAS or Delta Force. 

I forgot to mention cooling. I was considering a custom loop but will probably stick to an NH-D15S. The all black Chromax version. For the Evolv X I will probably replace the Phanteks fans with black Noctua Chromax fans. I love Noctua fans, cool great, great static pressure, quiet and never had one fail once.

3 hours ago, dave belsey said:

Hi,

I don't usually post this kind of thing, but I too have a new pc from Scan with the 3090, system is:

NZXT H710 Black Case

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Motherboard

Intel Core i9 10900K overclocked to 5.1 GHz

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Pro XT Cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16) 3200Mhz DDR4

EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Graphic card (black lips)

Corsair RM850X Gold Power Supply

500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for Operating System

2TB M2 NVMe Samsung 970 EVO for Flight Sim

I use an Iiyama PL4372UH 43 inch 4k Monitor and a Rift S.

I am not a great fan of RGB either, but have everything set to a soothing blue.

Very happy with the machine for MSFS and assorted games too.

Dave.

PS   How do I prevent the line spacing when starting a new line?

Actually its a nice case.

Is your 10900K overclocked to 5.1 on all cores?

Is the 850 watt PSU handling the load okay? 750 is minimum acording to Nvidia and Gigabyte are now recommending 850 as minimum for some of their cards.

Yes its a subtle blue lighting I go for. If you have a case with a window, why not.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, micstatic said:

are you guys using the experimental features check box in nvidia experience?  I am not, but just noticed the box with the newest driver today so it had me curious.  

Not come across it to be honest. My new system is still in boxes. What sort of features does it offer?

I’m not sure. I haven’t researched it 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

34 minutes ago, martin-w said:

forgot to mention cooling. I was considering a custom loop but will probably stick to an NH-D15S. The all black Chromax version. For the Evolv X I will probably replace the Phanteks fans with black Noctua Chromax fans. I love Noctua fans, cool great, great static pressure, quiet and never had one fail once.

I have gone with the nzxt z73 its a bit gimmicky with the temps showing on the cooler 

But it has had some good reviews so we shall see 

I am also in the future going to look at custom water cooling 

I will also look at fans if required

3 hours ago, dave belsey said:

Radiator is fitted at the top - I run MSFS with Ultra settings at 4k and temperatures are fine even with reasonable fan settings.

Good to know i was concerned it might not fit at the top

Pete Little

49 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Actually its a nice case.

Is your 10900K overclocked to 5.1 on all cores?

Is the 850 watt PSU handling the load okay? 750 is minimum acording to Nvidia and Gigabyte are now recommending 850 as minimum for some of their cards.

• Previously I have opted for Corsair cases but quite liked the layout of this one.
  • All 10 cores are overclocked to 5.1 and Hyperthreading is on.
  • Power ratings are like black arts to me but I have the computer and monitor connected to a 1000VA/600W Powercool Smart UPS. With MSFS running the UPSmart software shows 82-85% Load Level which I assume to be 510W?   No problems at all that I have seen.

Dave.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, RichieFly said:

Not surprisingly, MSFS 2020 was not much different from my 1080ti SC, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

Sounds like it may not be worth it for me to use EVGA's step-up to go from my 3080 XC to a 3090 FTW (basically for an additional $1000 premium).  I have 28 days to decide, and without a 3080 Ti announcement at NVIDIA's CES Key Note today, I'm going to be torn.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Today's the day my replacement card will arrive. So, 19 days after the failure. I was expecting a longer wait, to be honest.

I'll edit this post after I get the new card up to room temp and installed (it's cold out there).

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I get the new card up to room temp and installed (it's cold out there).

? you don't need to do that lol