Sign in to follow this  
Steku

Reverb G2 finally smooth NO REPROJECT. (thank you CptLucky8)

CptLucky8 is very soon going to post on the official MFS2020 forum his recommedations from HP Reverb G2 and nVidia GPU. He posted already for Valve Index, it's wery comprehensive, full of details.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-valve-index/321913

I expect the same quality for G2.

Following CptLukcy8 advice I resolved the heavy issue with my G2 stuttering badly with my 3070 (relatively powerful) GPU. I was close to give up and sell my brand new G2 (to expensive as a toy for Beat Saber only). But now - it works acceptably in MFS2020, good enough to enjoy a VFR flight!

You will benefit most waiting for CptLucky8 post covering G2, if you are struggling with G2 as I was, you can consider following steps which worked in my case:

1. Use "Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Runtime".

2. In "OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality", "Developer Settings" tab I applied:

- "Use latest preview OpenXR runtime" - On

- "Custom render scale" - ca. 85%

- "Motion Reprojection" - DISABLED!!! This was the game changer, no more stutter, judder, the MFS2020 settings balanced to produce ca. 30FPS, this seems low for VR without reporojection, but for me it's much better to have fluid ca. 30 FPS instead of constantly changing FPS with the repojection enabled.

3. In the sim:

- "Render scaling" - 100% (or lower if your sim can't maintain ca. 30 FPS)

- "Anti-aliasing" - TAA

- all other seeting mostly Medium to High, low enough to maintain ca. 30 FPS.

If you can wait, I strongly suggest waiting for CptLucky8 post on the official forum, with all the recommedations.

Edited by Steku
  • Like 5

Yeah, motion reprojection causes all kinds of issues with the G2. My menus in VR jiggled making them hard to read.

3 hours ago, Steku said:

CptLucky8 is very soon going to post on the official MFS2020 forum his recommedations from HP Reverb G2 and nVidia GPU. He posted already for Valve Index, it's wery comprehensive, full of details.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-valve-index/321913

I expect the same quality for G2.

Following CptLukcy8 advice I resolved the heavy issue with my G2 stuttering badly with my 3070 (relatively powerful) GPU. I was close to give up and sell my brand new G2 (to expensive as a toy for Beat Saber only). But now - it works acceptably in MFS2020, good enough to enjoy a VFR flight!

You will benefit most waiting for CptLucky8 post covering G2, if you are struggling with G2 as I was, you can consider following steps which worked in my case:

1. Use "Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Runtime".

2. In "OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality", "Developer Settings" tab I applied:

- "Use latest preview OpenXR runtime" - On

- "Custom render scale" - ca. 85%

- "Motion Reprojection" - DISABLED!!! This was the game changer, no more stutter, judder, the MFS2020 settings balanced to produce ca. 30FPS, this seems low for VR without reporojection, but for me it's much better to have fluid ca. 30 FPS instead of constantly changing FPS with the repojection enabled.

3. In the sim:

- "Render scaling" - 100% (or lower if your sim can't maintain ca. 30 FPS)

- "Anti-aliasing" - TAA

- all other seeting mostly Medium to High, low enough to maintain ca. 30 FPS.

If you can wait, I strongly suggest waiting for CptLucky8 post on the official forum, with all the recommedations.

Thanks for the heads up Steku, will be interesting to see the post.  For grins, can you share your rig specs as well?

TIA,

-Jav

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I was just going to mention this...for me I'm better off with reproduction off.  Benefits are that it's a bit smoother, no wobbly screen distortion effect, and my frames go UP 5 to 10fps!  

Not sure what's going on with WMR reproduction, I drop fps from 35 to 25 and it still stutters badly.  In X-Plane it usually will hold a steady 30fps and be very smooth with reproduction.

Edited by precog

Wow. Reprojection off was a big difference. Thanks for this. 

dumb question, do I always have to open and have openxr in the background?

1 hour ago, Ajb376 said:

Wow. Reprojection off was a big difference. Thanks for this. 

dumb question, do I always have to open and have openxr in the background?

Glad you asked.  I would like to know too.  😊

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

Now that I have Open XR installed, can someone tell me how I "choose" to use OpenXR instead of SteamVR? 

So far I have been opening WMR and then running MSFS2020, when I CTRL_TAB into VR, I am seeing similar visuals, albeit in a different colour to the standard SteamVR visuals. I am not sure how I select one versus the other. 

Also, is there a way that I can visually confirm whether I have reprojection on or off like there is with SteamVR? Thanks in advance. 

as long as you haven't changed it back to steamvr in the steamvr properties, it should automagically be set to the WMR path ready to use.

You can check in your registry by searching for this and the .json file should show as WMR (not oculus or steam)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

Edited by dogmanbird

1 hour ago, aidanlegras said:

Now that I have Open XR installed, can someone tell me how I "choose" to use OpenXR instead of SteamVR? 

So far I have been opening WMR and then running MSFS2020, when I CTRL_TAB into VR, I am seeing similar visuals, albeit in a different colour to the standard SteamVR visuals. I am not sure how I select one versus the other. 

Also, is there a way that I can visually confirm whether I have reprojection on or off like there is with SteamVR? Thanks in advance. 

Link - https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dont-set-location-of-openxr-runtime-with-the-registry-use-openxr-loader-specs-instead/323323

• Like 1

Bill  N7IBG     

4 hours ago, Bill Griffith said:

Ok thanks. I’ve been fiddling around and it looks like my system is running through OpenXR because it comes up with the frame time display if I select that option in OpenXR. So I’m assuming I don’t need to do this step.......?

@javelina A bit OT, but I see from your signature you have PointCtrl. Have you got it working with MSFS?

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

4 hours ago, Spit40 said:

@javelina A bit OT, but I see from your signature you have PointCtrl. Have you got it working with MSFS?

Hi Spit,

I just recently received my G2, and my PointCTRL is still with the "old" Rift S.  Later today or tomorrow, I'll try it with my G2 and report back. 

For DCS, it sure works great though.

thx,

-Gregg

• Upvote 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

54 minutes ago, javelina said:

Hi Spit,

I just recently received my G2, and my PointCTRL is still with the "old" Rift S.  Later today or tomorrow, I'll try it with my G2 and report back. 

For DCS, it sure works great though.

thx,

-Gregg

I'm looking forward to that. I was very tempted to use it with Aerofly FS2 and this could push me to go for it.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

6 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

Ok thanks. I’ve been fiddling around and it looks like my system is running through OpenXR because it comes up with the frame time display if I select that option in OpenXR. So I’m assuming I don’t need to do this step.......?

Probably not.  I checked the Registry entry on my system and it was already there for OpenXR.

Bill

Bill  N7IBG