Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

1.12.13 stuttering

12 hours ago, ant02151973 said:

Hi 

I wanted to try your rivatuner trick but when I go to Flightsimulator.exe to add it it says that it can't be accessed by the system. Any ideas? 

Thank You

Anthony

Sorry, I have no clue... I just clicked "Add" and went to my the MSFS Steam folder to find the executable.

12 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Sorry, I have no clue... I just clicked "Add" and went to my the MSFS Steam folder to find the executable.

This can be difficult if you had the MS Store version, as it seems to be protected for some people.

I think I have remembered how I did mine: -

In RTSS, click on add, then go to any folder (it doesn't matter, so I just went to the top level on my game drive), then just type 'Flightsimulator.exe' into the file box, and click save.
It should create the profile as Flightsimulator.exe.  Then click on this profile to adjust it.  You can click on detect application to high if you want - I have it on that setting.

The idea is it will detect the application running rather than look for the file; this does work believe it or not!  
To test it has picked up the .exe running, when flying, alt-tab out of the sim to RTSS (it must be running, so best leave it open on your desktop), then bring it down to say 10 fps in RTSS, then alt-tab back into the sim, and you will see 10 fps! 

Obviously, once you have confirmed it has control over the sim, alt-tab back out and set it up properly! :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Also, don't run too many pre-rendered frames (such as -3) because if you are close to the 30 fps limit with your card, it can actually make things worse by putting extra strain on your GPU.  And also as Turp says, make sure you are unlimited FPS / Vsync in the sim, and set everything in Nvidia Control Panel to 'application controlled' or off.  I also found my AF ans Super Sampling settings had an effect in the sim after this.  I run AF x16, SS x6.  You will get blurry runway lines without! :biggrin:

Btw Bobcat, I myself am not completely sure I understand what exactly syncline scan is or what it does. But most of the explanations I have seen around seem to indicate it's about "choosing" the horizontal line  (out of 1080 for example, if you sim in 1080p) where the tearing would happen. This tutorial for example is quite interesting:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/#:~:text=Scanline sync replaces the normal,vsync OFF or fast sync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9jeh3f/has_anyone_tried_out_the_new_rtss_scanline_sync/

All that to say is that I am playing with it, but I don't think the number is about pre-rendered frames, but in fact which line you want the tearing to happen at, with most people choosing it at the very bottom of the screen (so values like -40, which is around line 1040 in 1080p). Also, I've read in a few places that there is no point in limiting framerate anymore once you use Scanline Sync, and I can attest that I do not notice any more advantage from setting my FPS to 30. All that to say that this is very mysterious... but it's working on my side and I can now fly over NYC without stutters, so I'm happy 🙂

Edited by Turpentine
added link
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Btw Bobcat, I myself am not completely sure I understand what exactly syncline scan is or what it does. But most of the explanations I have seen around seem to indicate it's about "choosing" the horizontal line  (out of 1080 for example, if you sim in 1080p) where the tearing would happen. This tutorial for example is quite interesting:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/#:~:text=Scanline sync replaces the normal,vsync OFF or fast sync.

All that to say is that I am playing with it, but I don't think the number is about pre-rendered frames, but in fact which line you want the tearing to happen at, with most people choosing it at the very bottom of the screen (so values like -40, which is around line 1040 in 1080p). Also, I've read in a few places that there is no point in limiting framerate anymore once you use Scanline Sync, and I can attest that I do not notice any more advantage from setting my FPS to 30. All that to say that this is very mysterious... but it's working on my side and I can now fly over NYC without stutters, so I'm happy 🙂

Yes, I am with you.  My knowledge isn't complete, but like you say, the settings work well enough for us, so we stick to them! :biggrin:

You could be right about the -1 thing.  I must admit it doesn't seem to make any detectable difference on mine anyway, whether set at -1 or zero.  You could set it in Nvidia control panel instead (pre-rendered frames), but then again, RTSS will just override it anyway if the -1 actually does this, although like you say, I have seen text relating to it being a setting for which line to tear on, if you know what I mean.

I have heard it is good to have at least one pre-rendered frame in the pipeline anyway, to prevent graphics stall, but too many pre-rendered can cause input lag apparently, as the frames it is pushing out will be slightly aged, for example 3 pre-rendered, at 30 Hz is 10 percent of the frames, or about a tenth of a second behind, which you can feel in games.

Also, I have heard if you set your framerate and there is no tearing, you may not need the scanline sync anyway, and in fact, it could confuse things if you don't have a monitor running at 60Hz, such as some of the newer 144Hz ones.

/2 simply means provide frames to the monitor at half of its own refresh rate (i.e for me with my 60 Hz monitor, that would be 30Hz, matching my 30 fps frame lock).  Once again, due to the way MSFS does actually seem to vsync, whether you turn it off or not, this RTSS setting may not be needed.
Certainly I have never had any tearing, no matter what settings I use, so Scanline sync may also not be needed for the sim.  I set it like this as this worked for me on my old FSX set-up, which would tear screens if it wasn't set up properly.

I will do some more reading up on this and further testing when I get the chance, and look at my exact Nvidia control panel settings.  I have gamma correction off as well now in that, and threaded optimisation off (although some people swear it should be the other way!)
There is also the Windows game mode and GPU scheduling which is ambiguous.

This is a whole big subject that goes beyond the stuttering thing, but it would be nice to open up a thread on this one day with some concrete findings based on proper testing and evidence.  Of course, with so many different hardware setups, it will always be difficult. :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have recently upgraded the graphics card of my ancient rig from the measly GTX 960 2GB to the RTX 2060 6GB and while the sim is running much better and with much higher graphical settings in 1080p (especially after trying @Turpentine's RTSS trick, thanks for the suggestion!), the major seconds-long stutter freeze around certain locations (eg. around the Melbourne area) are unfortunately still there. So I think it is safe to say that certain areas are just problematic for the sim engine to process. What I have also noticed is that when these seconds-long stutter freezes (sometimes 10+ seconds) happen, the sim process in the Windows task manager shows as not responding. Definitely something going on with the engine and would require further optimization to solve I think. Oh well. 😞

• Like 3

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

7 hours ago, Honnli said:

I have recently upgraded the graphics card of my ancient rig from the measly GTX 960 2GB to the RTX 2060 6GB and while the sim is running much better and with much higher graphical settings in 1080p (especially after trying @Turpentine's RTSS trick, thanks for the suggestion!), the major seconds-long stutter freeze around certain locations (eg. around the Melbourne area) are unfortunately still there. So I think it is safe to say that certain areas are just problematic for the sim engine to process. What I have also noticed is that when these seconds-long stutter freezes (sometimes 10+ seconds) happen, the sim process in the Windows task manager shows as not responding. Definitely something going on with the engine and would require further optimization to solve I think. Oh well. 😞

Yes, the long pauses are definitely not graphics card or settings related.  They need to look at this, as there is no point doing such great work and making it look so pretty when it breaks the immersion in this way.

And while they are at it, they should get rid of the stupid spinning loading/saving circle in the bottom right corner that keeps distracting me and spoiling me screenshots and videos - what bright spark thought that was a good idea? 🙄

I also noticed something else last night; the small/medium airports giving me a performance hit (where as large airports do not) are the ones with the broken ground with the black lines / steps in them (the ones that flip you over in a Cessna 🙂).

Two particularly bad are Flagstaff and Sarasota-Bradenton.  Since their runways got messed up, they have been terrible for me - a stutter-fest.  Yet the potentially more complex airports I use for my test runs to fly to these (Sedona and St. Pete - Clearwater) are absolutely fine and smooth.  So this is another thing they need to look at and fix quickly.

3 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

And while they are at it, they should get rid of the stupid spinning loading/saving circle in the bottom right corner that keeps distracting me and spoiling me screenshots and videos - what bright spark thought that was a good idea? 🙄

Yes, this, it gets right on my nerves. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I thought something was wrong with my system but nothing slows down during circle time. very annoying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, desbean said:

I thought something was wrong with my system but nothing slows down during circle time. very annoying.

Yes, it seems totally pointless.  If it is useful to them in de-bugging, they could have just made it a feature of developer mode. 

I do wonder about MS / Asobo sometimes.  They make such a brilliant sim, but so often they get the common sense basics wrong.  Excellent graphics on screen, but now lets break the immersion with pop-up handle bars at the top of the screen everytime you move the mouse, and distracting spinning white circles overlaid right by where you are normally scanning your instruments! :biggrin: 

Luckily we have a brilliant community fix for the top handlebar, but I can't find anything for the spinning circle.  It might not be easy for the community to get rid of it, as I can't seem to find the files for it in the official UI folders, unlike some of the other UI mods, for which the official files are visible. 

Edited by bobcat999

20 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Yes, I am with you.  My knowledge isn't complete, but like you say, the settings work well enough for us, so we stick to them! :biggrin:

Haha, exactly, whatever works!

One more thing: I read that if scanline sync is active, then using a FPS limiter is not necessary. I have been experimenting since yesterday and indeed it seems to be true, on my rig at least. When I made the move to 4k, I had settled on using a limit of 30 to minimize stutters, but now I see now difference whether I do or not. It's actually a nice side effect since I seem to be able to enjoy FPS as high as 40-45 whenever possible without the downside of having stutters due to fluctuations in frames. It's really amazing.

• Like 1

I have G-sync so that explains why I see no difference.  

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Update from me - I uninstalled MSFS and reloaded the whole things again from the 10 retail discs that I have and all seems back to normal so far.

• Like 2

Had not run MSFS since before the 1.12.13.0 update.  I am really dismayed at how my performance has tanked due to this update.  Areas I've flow regularly at a smooth 30 fps, external lock, are now a stuttery mess at times, along with an occasional huge pause in screen refreshes.   At least my friend with VR is loving it...oh well...better luck on the next update, perhaps.  Too bad the results we get with these updates seem to be more a matter of luck than skill.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Probably no news for many, but I can confirm that with 1.12.13 the long pause occurring every 3-4 seconds is data stream related only. It disappears if data options are switched off and it also disappears if I limit traffic to 100 KB/s. The latter is obviously not enough for photogrammetry, but it shows that there is an issue with loading data. My connection is 100/40 Mbit/s and the sim never goes beyond 15 if I allow it to use the full bandwidth. I think the the sim loading can't keep up with the data stream. One could argue that this is a CPU issue (being on a 7700K) but then why does it appear with some releases and not with others and never during the Alpha? 

Hans

At the risk of beating this horse to death again, I too had stuttering issues after this update.  I used a lot of info from this thread to fix it, however, I tried the rivatuner trick and found while the stuttering was almost gone, it locked my frame rate at 10 fps and no settings would change it.  After shutting it off and tweaking the hell out of my nvidia settings, game settings, etc, etc etc... I finally got to between 12-13 fps.  For my testing, I have been using the DA-62 at my local airport, KRFD starting with clear skies and switching to live weather.  Of course there is a slight drop in the weather switch.  It appears that the stuttering is minimal or mostly gone, makes me think there is a lot to the data stream theory.  I am using a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz,16 gb ram and a GTX 1660Ti card.  I don't expect miracles but I sure would like to get into the 25-30 or better fps.  With having to juggle nvidia, MSFS, Windows 10, Project Lasso settings all at once, I'm sure I'm missing something.