Sign in to follow this  
BigT65

Move Update Files To Another Drive

In this folder on my drive (C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore) there are 103 GBs of files. Can I create another folder on my E: drive where I have MSFS installed and move all this stuff to there. If so, does it have to be the same path structure or can it just be E:\Flight Simulator Updates? How would I let MSFS know where to look for these files? And how might I do this without cutting and pasting which would take forever. I saw another topic about changing the installation drive and moving MSFS but that is not what i want to do. I want to move all the updates that have already been downloaded and installed and then also put all future updates in the new folder. With all the huge updates that may be forthcoming my drive is going to get full pretty fast.
Thanks for all responses.

I

Edited by BigT65
remove emoji

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

No one else has a problem with these huge files? Surely I am not the only one. If anyone knows how to deal with this please let me know.

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

No. You can adjust the size of the LocalCache within the sim but do not manually adjust the folders. If you have a very fast internet connection you can reduce the size.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, BigT65 said:

In this folder on my drive (C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore) there are 103 GBs of files. Can I create another folder on my E: drive where I have MSFS installed and move all this stuff to there. If so, does it have to be the same path structure or can it just be E:\Flight Simulator Updates? How would I let MSFS know where to look for these files? And how might I do this without cutting and pasting which would take forever. I saw another topic about changing the installation drive and moving MSFS but that is not what i want to do. I want to move all the updates that have already been downloaded and installed and then also put all future updates in the new folder. With all the huge updates that may be forthcoming my drive is going to get full pretty fast.
Thanks for all responses.

I have less than 1-MB in my entire "....\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe" folder on my system drive. My installation is to my D-drive. If your installation is to your E-drive I don't know why you have so much data on your system drive unless maybe you are using a cache. You maybe need to check your cache settings inside MSFS. I don't use cache.

A large portion of the updates consist of updated files that are already installed, and you can't change the location of updates.

Edited by desbean

Thanks for the come backs. I will comment tomorrow.

BIGT65, Use MSFS Addons Linker, it's fantastic for managing your community folder. Place your Addons anywhere on your PC and create symbolic links to the addons from the Community folder. Just enable the Addons that you are going to use for your flight and easily disable everything else in a click. This really speeds up the loading of Flight Simulator. BRGDS. Charles

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Edited by Charles575943
Spelling mistake

On 12/28/2020 at 5:58 AM, Charles575943 said:

BIGT65, Use MSFS Addons Linker, it's fantastic for managing your community folder. Place your Addons anywhere on your PC and create symbolic links to the addons from the Community folder. Just enable the Addons that you are going to use for your flight and easily disable everything else in a click. This really speeds up the loading of Flight Simulator. BRGDS. Charles

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

This is what I am looking into. My Community folder is empty. All my updates were put in the Official\OneStore folder by Microsoft during the update download and install.  To move all these files do I have to do a cut and paste or is there a better faster way?

• Like 1

The path for your official folder is listed at the bottom of your cfg file, which by default is stored in your profile - at least it is for me.

so if you want to move that folder you can just edit your cfg file, so MSFS knows where to go for all the packages. 

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir