Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Piaggio / FW P.149 released for MSFS (ATSim)!

My mini review.  (I am not a real pilot - just a sim pilot! 😁)

first of all, my overall view is that this is the best £18 I have spent in this sim so far.  The plane is an absolute blast; really atmospheric. 👍  The texturing inside and out is superb.  

There was no frame rate hit, and the views from the cockpit are great (I tweaked mine downwards slightly and saved them (ctrl-alt-1 etc).

I can concur with Cav - the plane feels great to fly, and it fits in with my expectations of what it should feel like.  It does need trimming when the power settings are altered, then you have to wait for the speed to settle and trim again - easy though.  Also, it seems this needs to be flown just as much on prop speed as much as throttle (about 2750 revs I think is says).  All good though.  As Cav says, leave tool tips on as most of the panel markings are in German (on the default livery that I flew).  Hand flying was great with the new in-sim sensitivity settings (I have mine set at 50% now, except rudder a bit more sensitive for runway turns).

It sounds great inside and out, with plenty of nice surprises.  for instance, you will know when your wheels have made contact 😁, and there is nice audio feedback from flaps and trim wheel moving etc.

Some tips and surprises... Not only is the night lighting good, but I love the way the overhead intensity adjustment works (rheostat), AND, you can grab the lamp and alter the direction it points.  It really works well and adds to the atmosphere - not seen this before - superb!
I DID try the wheels up landing - no drama, but the prop was bent up afterwards. 😄

Also, don't forget to turn the gyro on (overhead panel) or you will just be using the compass, and, it does need a fair take-off run - this is no Cessna 172.

All in all, really great, and I am 100% pleased with the money I spent.  If you like your 'steam gauge' aircraft, this will keep you happy.  The systems can be quite different from say the steam gauge C172, and I am enjoying finding out what all the switches do.

The only bug - from certain angles from inside the cockpit, the landing light / taxi-light covers on the wings seem to flicker.  Hopefully a quick fix for the developer.  Anyway, I am glad I bought this Focke.  🤣

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

ATS = Russian A2A.

I've only spent 15 minutes in it and it's favourite already. And it's aerobatic! A friend did an aerobatic course in the Piaggio prior to going on jets for the German Navy.

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 3

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Is it me or are the Radios faulty? All switches on + Generator fuse in.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

@driver101 I haven't managed to get the Coms to work with a cold+dark startup, bt did coax something out of the radio with a running start (after toggling a few buttons). So it does (eventually) work.

What I don't like: the sound when you land.

What I do like: everything else. It's brilliant, immersive and excellent value for the price. Very happy with my P.149. 👍 ✴️✴️✴️✴️✴️

• Like 1

Couldn't resist and got it for my MFS hangar.... Wow, enjoying it so far ! EXCELLENT performance, graphics, flight feel !

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

36 minutes ago, lupedelupe said:

@driver101 I haven't managed to get the Coms to work with a cold+dark startup, bt did coax something out of the radio with a running start (after toggling a few buttons). So it does (eventually) work.

Unfortunately after several attempts it is not working. All radios/transponder are inop.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

I love it too, it's beautiful!

Makes me hope Andrey brings back the Safir..

50766099838_3dd3118d55_o.jpgjk10365

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

Thanks for the notification that this is out. Is it, for example, a deeper simulation that the Carenado Mooney?

1 minute ago, Bigbluss said:

Thanks for the notification that this is out. Is it, for example, a deeper simulation that the Carenado Mooney?

Deeper simulation and Carenado don't belong in the same sentence lol!

I don't have the 149 yet but there are some people I trust in this thread and if they say it's great it must be!

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Deeper simulation and Carenado don't belong in the same sentence lol!

I don't have the 149 yet but there are some people I trust in this thread and if they say it's great it must be!

Hah I don't like the Mooney at all. The FPS tanks for me when I turn on specific lights, and the aircraft has a structural failure when I open the windows at 60 knots. Very unhappy with it. If the 149 is a lot better I think I will buy it 🙂

Thank you for your reply

Did anyone figure out how to turn radio on? I turned two switches ON: 1 on overhead panel "radio" and 1  on radio unit itself but there is no communication

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

My wife just punished me for spending too much money on flight sim this month lol...but this plane is looking awesome!

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OK guys what is GPS panel mentioned in manual? It just a placard saying GPS? 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI