Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Piaggio / FW P.149 released for MSFS (ATSim)!

In my opinion the first AC payware fully worth it's price! Get's close to the best payware AC in P3RD!! Only still limited by the MSFS flight enveloppe!

• Like 2

OK - I see.  Thanks Carl and Metz for the answers!  👍

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Alex is THE MAN... and the reason my An-2, C-47 and DC-6 fly the way they do.

Obviously his talent shines here in the Piggi... I use rudder on TO and have to coordinate turns.... how the heck he managed that with this infantile SDK/FDE is unfathomable, and a testament to his genius.

I remain obliged- C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Still don't get why the mixture lever has absolutely no effect except cutoff when pulled back to 0%. But mixture seems to be an issue in the whole sim, many planes react utterly strange to changes in mixture settings.

And a noob question: in many constant speed propeller planes, I put a specific RPM and a specific power setting for cruise (usually via MAP). However, somehow I miss a gauge or instrument telling me how much power I set inside the P.149, besides the throttle lever position of course. Am I blind or does such a gauge/instrument simply not exist? How do you guys set the proper power for cruise?

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

52 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Still don't get why the mixture lever has absolutely no effect except cutoff when pulled back to 0%. But mixture seems to be an issue in the whole sim, many planes react utterly strange to changes in mixture settings.

And a noob question: in many constant speed propeller planes, I put a specific RPM and a specific power setting for cruise (usually via MAP). However, somehow I miss a gauge or instrument telling me how much power I set inside the P.149, besides the throttle lever position of course. Am I blind or does such a gauge/instrument simply not exist? How do you guys set the proper power for cruise?

You have an ATA gauge, on the right pan of the instruments panel ...

Familiar because I have made a long incursion into ww2  air combat sims 🙂 and one of my preferred aircraft was the Bf 109 ... German ww2 aircraft used ATA.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 minutes ago, lupedelupe said:

@AnkH I seem to recall there is an inscription stating 2700 RPM for cruise. 

Yes, I am aware about the RPM and the corresponding gauge. I was asking for the actual power setting gauge/instrument. Have to look for this ATA gauge then, thanks for the heads up @jcomm

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The inscription on the instrument panel states 2750 RPM and 0.72 at a for cruise. Next to this text you see the ata-gauge.

• Like 1

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Still don't get why the mixture lever has absolutely no effect except cutoff when pulled back to 0%.

Because this engine does have an automatic mixture control! It would have been nice for users which don't know about this feature of the original aircraft to write this into the manual... but i am very happy to see this is included into the airplane. (Even without mentioning it into the manual)

It would be a major bug if you could effect the engine with the mixture control (which is really only a little fuel valve for shutoff inside this particular airplane).

Edited by Ubbi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking01 said:

The inscription on the instrument panel states 2750 RPM and 0.72 at a for cruise. Next to this text you see the ata-gauge.

Yep, on top of that inscription, and just to the right of the tachometer.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The engine is good for 3000 RPM continous and the ATA in the green range. The given cruise sitting is a moderate one. Anything between 120 to 150 kts is good, just a matter of fuel consumption over speed.

• Like 1

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

After several happy hours in this lovely aircraft I have arrived at the following.  It works nicely for me, your mileage may vary.

Take Off-  Full Throttle and Prop Full Forward

400 AGL- 3000RPM and 0.9 ATA at top of green (dot)

Top of Climb- 2700RPM and 0.72ATA (conservative, but I like this aeroplane enough to relax and enjoy the flight- no hurry)

Initial Descent- 2700RPM and 0.6ATA at bottom of green (dot)

Pattern Arrival- 3000RPM and 0.45ATA below green- Gear and Flap Schedule under 100KIAS

Pattern- Prop Full Forward and slow throttle reduction- she's fantastically responsive to inverse control- IAS with Pitch and VS with Throttle.

Hope this helps as a baseline- feel free to customize as you like.

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 3

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Yes Carl.  I have found almost identical settings to this myself by trial and error. 👍

This is the sign of a good flight model I think, as you can almost 'feel' the aircraft and what it needs; it seems quite natural.

It's a slippery bugger though, and I do struggle to bleed the speed off on decent.  I think I need to give myself longer at straight and level in the pattern to bleed some more speed off.

Anyway, I am enjoying this aircraft more and more, the more I fly it. It is money well spent as far as I am concerned. 

Hopefully the little fixes will come soon, but they don't spoil my enjoyment of it. 🙂

PS.  I am still a novice.  Most of the stuff I know I learnt from my dad's stories from when he was in the RAF out in India and Burma during the war.

But am I right in thinking prop full forward is what he would have called 'fine pitch', and pulled back would be 'coarse pitch'?  As I see the prop change pitch when it is static, but I am not sure if it behaves the same under power in the air.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Idle RPM values appear a bit above what I see in the POH and in some youtubes.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig: