Sign in to follow this  
EHTX

IATA labels

Hiya,

Seasons greetings to start with 😉

Im using recently EFB2.0 what is really great in combination with RT.
But in the labels i see IATA codes instead of ICAO.
Is there a workaround to set this to ICAO?

Regards Nico,

2020-12-28_003003.jpg

Why would you? RT also uses IATA labels for origin and destination...That's common practice. 

You can see them in the PSXT  Log.txt for every flight detected.

You can make them visible above each aircraft in your sim with a hidden parameter.

Nico

Edited by kiek

Hiya,

The reason is that in the FS and all other utilities the ICAO is used and never IATA (as you can see in the image)
Its not a big deal, but its nice to see the ICAO, cause the ICAO tells me the country and airport.
IATA like UBJ, OKJ can't be found that easy, only if Google for it (or your mind has a huge IATA database stored;) )
But its generated by RT i guess ;)

Yes the IATA comes from RT. There is no unambiguous mapping from IATA to ICAO. Vice versa there is.

Thanks for the answer!

Maybe i send an mail to RT .
This is what i found:

Why are IATA and ICAO codes different?
Since the code contains only three letters, the possible combinations are limited and consequently the IATA codes are not unique in some cases, with the same code used to designate two different airports. Therefore, the ICAO codes were created because aviation requires a unique designation for airports what is now common used in aviation.

9 hours ago, EHTX said:

Thanks for the answer!

Maybe i send an mail to RT .
This is what i found:

Why are IATA and ICAO codes different?
Since the code contains only three letters, the possible combinations are limited and consequently the IATA codes are not unique in some cases, with the same code used to designate two different airports. Therefore, the ICAO codes were created because aviation requires a unique designation for airports what is now common used in aviation.

Yes I knew this, that's why I said that there is no unambiguous mapping....

It is no use sending a mail to RT. The source is the ads-b transponder in the aircraft, it uses IATA. 

This is how it gies: From RT it is taken by PSXT to create aircraft via SimConnect in your Sim with a simple flight plan consisting of origin and destination.  EFB reads via SimConnect that info. Same for LittleNavMap. 

Edited by kiek