Sign in to follow this  
coastaldriver

PMDG DC-6 and P3DV5

Well after looking at the PMDG website and reading their advice that it was possible to install the P3DV4x version into P3DV5 I went and payed nearly $100AUD for the download. 

Before that was possible I had to jump through about 4 different password-user account resets to even do that despite having an account and despite having a PMDG Forum account as well and having already been a FSX user of the product. 

Here is the outcome - the so called navigation method to get the installer to recognise P3DV5 does not work and aborts the install continuously saying there is no P3D simulator installed (which there is). I tried several methods to get around this, none successful. Ok I thought maybe just maybe there is a fix - so back to the PMDG.Com website to submit a ticket for support. Then we went around in circles again and guess what I cannot register a ticket for support because "that email is in use" - of course it is idiots it is my account email. 

So I have a product I cannot install I have a provider that I cannot contact - so in short I am screwed. Well am I venting and annoyed you betcha. I cannot believe I was so stupid as to have trusted these people or that they had proper customer support processes. 

So be warned - will the P3D version of this work in P3DV5 who knows because it prevents you from installing it. 

Too bad Kyle Rogers isn't here anymore. This would be very interesting.

Vic green

1 hour ago, coastaldriver said:

And that is as far as I am concerned the end of my association and future patronage of that business. 

How can you possibly blame the manufacture when it clearly states said product is NOT support in P3D V5?  The product description clearly states:

"The ultimate simulation of the a Magnificent Douglas Classic, the DC-6 Cloudmaster is now available in Prepar3D v3 & v4!"

Their forum also explicitly states its not ready for V5.  

Matt King

Fair enough comments above! That is not what the README with it says! Either way I will put it down to experience. Anyway 6 months in and no update in sight or promised tells me everything. 

I had not tried this but ten minutes later, here it is:

1.jpg

2.jpg

You just need to tell the installer that P3D v5 is P3D v4. Clearly, I have not tested whether it works as it should.

Edited by Reader

10 minutes ago, Reader said:

You just need to tell the installer that P3D v5 is P3D v4

And how exactly does one accomplish that? The explanation reminds me of Ed Norton explaining to Ralph Kramden from the Honeymooners series how to address the ball in the game of golf. Hello ball. Maybe someone can elaborate as I too miss the DC6.

Gary Stewart

Maybe this.

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

And how exactly does one accomplish that?

How generous of you to share your outrage. I am surmising that PMDG do not want their aircraft model to be added to P3D v5, or they might have released an installer to make this easy. As already mentioned, a change is required to the Windows registry to show that P3D v5 is P3D v4. I am quite sure that Google will lead to how to do that, it is not for me to detail how to get round the PMDG installer. EDIT: If you take the trouble to read the link kindly posted by rickgo, you will be led to the relatively simple method. EDIT 2: now there is a link to a video as well, so you do not need to go to any trouble at all.

Edited by Reader

Is that video link for those who find it too hard to open the link already provided?☹️

I'd like to give my method for installation into P3D5, if a product was made for P3D4.5. I still have an active install of P3D4.5 on my system. First I try to redirect the installation to my P3D5.1 directory. Then test if it runs or not.

If it is not possible to direct the installation path to my P3D5, I install it in v4.5 and copy all needed files over to v5.1. That's a bit tricky, since next to the Simobjects you will also sometimes look into the gauges and the effects directory. Checking the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg should give you some hints, what to search. But my experience is, most aircraft have their gauges in the panel directory and effects are named by the company the plane is from, e.g. pmdg or jf etc. So not too difficult.

I recently move the CaptainSim 777 to P3D5 and it works like a charm. Don't know why they do not just create an installer for it, like they did for the L1011. 

Also QW146 was ported this way and works too. Same here, QW does not port it over.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods