Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

wild rudder control problems with new pedals

So I just got my first pair of pedals ever (been simming off/on since FS98).  A set of the Logitech ones.  I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong either in use or in sim sensitivity settings.  I was testing them out with the TBM and first I needed a LOT of right rudder to keep it straight on takeoff.  Then all of a sudden as I'm picking up speed it just whips violently to the right.  I never had any issues like this using a twist rudder on my old Saitek X52.  Anyone have any tips?  I've tried no sensitivity adjustments, -30, -45, nothing seems to fix the wild whipping and need for extreme right rudder on takeoff at the start.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Hmmm seems to be an environmental issue.  I think the airport I was taking off from had a good solid wind going on or something and I didn't realize it was going to affect the TBM so much (been a while since I was in it).  I just tested at a local airport with no weather vs live and they behaved as expected.  Still needs a bit of right rudder at the start though and then switching to left as it picks up speed but not anything like what I was experiencing.  Going to write that off to flight dynamics or something.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I use an XBOX controller, and the SLIGHTEST touch of the controller sends the plane spinning out of control when rolling down the runway, both on takeoff and landing.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I have some problems like this which only seemes to occur when Live weather has strong winds. I have CH pedals with sensitivity set at -30. When not using Live Weather, but with setting strong winds myself I have no problem taking off smoothly. The problem with strong winds with Live Weather are only on the ground. Once in the air I hardly noticed the strong winds, except by drifting off course.  I haven't tested this thoroughly, but it looks like it is related to Live Weather.

I was just about to start a thread on the matter of the insane x-wind weathervaning effect modeled in the sim. The takeoff and landing roll is like an invisible hand of god pushing on the aircraft. The Ikon is barely controllable in a 5kt crosswind. Is there a flight_model.cfg setting that will subdue this obnoxious tendency (or disable it entirely if it cannot be tamed).

• Like 1

Until they fix this, I'd recommend turning on the 'TAKE-OFF AUTO-RUDDER' option on the MSFS 'ASSISTANCE' page.

Whilst I'm usually a 'everything must be set on realistic' kind of guy where flight sims are concerned, thus I would not normally turn on this kind of option in a flight sim, I think the yawing on take off is at present so unrealistic in MSFS, that I'm willing to compromise on this to avoid this issue. You'll still need to be ready on the rudder once you get off the deck, but then again in real life you should be too, so this isn't a bad thing.

Turning on this option doesn't make flying or landing the thing easier, so it doesn't negate having to use your rudder for every other phase of the flight and is not therefore much of a cheat, it just stops you from departing the runway on your take-off roll as though there is a ninety-degree 50 knot crosswind kicking in the moment you open the throttle. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I thoguht I was going nuts but its seems it's confirmed. Any crosswind on take off and landing and it goes sideways like a good bit of drifting on a wet tarmac.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Until they fix this, I'd recommend turning on the 'TAKE-OFF AUTO-RUDDER' option on the MSFS 'ASSISTANCE' page.

Whilst I'm usually a 'everything must be set on realistic' kind of guy where flight sims are concerned, thus I would not normally turn this option in a flight sim, I think the yawing on take off is at present so unrealistic that I'm willing to compromise on this to avoid this issue.

Turning on this option doesn't make flying or landing the thing easier, so it doesn't negate having to use your rudder for every other phase of the flight and is not therefore much of a cheat, it just stops you from departing the runway on your take-off roll as though there is a ninety-degree 50 knot crosswind kicking in the moment you open the throttle. 🤣

That's my worakaround as wel,l even though I like to keep things as rael as possible the aircaft wildly pulling to either side when rolling at 5knots is a little over the hills 🙂

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

On a kind of related matter, here's a fun tip which is not a bad idea to try. Normally I'd be inclined to try to track the runway heading upon take off, either by dipping a wing a bit or aiming into the wind a little, but there is a pretty good argument for not doing that if you are departing an airfield which doesn't have much traffic, nor any requirement that you do this, and it is this:

If you have your engine cut out at an awkward low altitude and there isn't anywhere nice to land straight ahead, not correcting for the crosswind upon take off, means your aeroplane will have blown off to the side of the airfield; this means there is a good chance you could potentially make a perhaps one hundred and twenty degree turn to have the airfield in front of you, with you able to deadstick it into the wind onto the airfield, as opposed to having to try for the dog-legged 'impossible turn' which typically needs way more than 180 degrees to pull off properly if you include 'getting over to the side a bit' before doing the 180 in order that the runway will be in front of you.

As someone who actually did pull off the impossible turn once in real life (not recommended in reality unless you have everything working in your favour and are sure you can fly smoothly enough to do it), I think this 'let the crosswind help you while in that critical phase of flight' is a pretty cool little trick to know. It's not something I'd try all the time and as noted, the impossible turn isn't called that for nothing, so in real life you'd better be sure you can make it if you try for it; better pilots than most of us have been killed trying it as we all know.

But in the right circumstances at any airfield where there is nothing ahead of you where you could force land safely in the event of an engine failure, and there is a crosswind component in play, it's not a bad thing to brief for.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for the info. Then I will  use auto-rudder on take-off till next update. February I guess.

7 hours ago, Chock said:

If that addresses this issue, I'll definitely give this a go. I enjoy the challenge of crosswind landings and/or landing with a side-slip, but the "Breath of God" that is applied immediately on touch down just robs you of the satisfaction of a solid landing.

Does anyone know if this issue is even on Asobo's radar or do they believe this is "well modeled"?

This worked out well. Took off and landed in a 25 kt cross-wind. Infinitely better experience. The only annoyance, as you noted, was the notable "rudder pop" you get the moment you go airborne and the roll-out rudder assist drops out.

12 hours ago, Chock said:

Whilst I'm usually a 'everything must be set on realistic' kind of guy where flight sims are concerned, thus I would not normally turn on this kind of option in a flight sim, I think the yawing on take off is at present so unrealistic in MSFS, that I'm willing to compromise on this to avoid this issue. You'll still need to be ready on the rudder once you get off the deck, but then again in real life you should be too, so this isn't a bad thing.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I actually had it on for the last couple months when I went to the Honeycomb Alpha yoke as I no longer had twist rudder control and small planes were completely unsteerable on the ground without that on.  I was under the impression it also acted like an autorudder in the air, but I guess maybe it sounds like FS2020 just doesn't have the old school autorudder feature at all actually and I've been flying "without a rudder" the last few months.

31 minutes ago, flyinion said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I actually had it on for the last couple months when I went to the Honeycomb Alpha yoke as I no longer had twist rudder control and small planes were completely unsteerable on the ground without that on.  I was under the impression it also acted like an autorudder in the air, but I guess maybe it sounds like FS2020 just doesn't have the old school autorudder feature at all actually and I've been flying "without a rudder" the last few months.

Well you do not get the real life feeling you are being pushed to one side in an unbalanced turn so the only indication you are skidding would be the slip indicator.