Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Is the GNS530 mod worthwhile?

Hello all,

I am looking to go onto Vatsim soon and I'd like to improve upon the default navigational system with the Carenado PA44. I've heard a lot about the WT mods, and the A32X by FBW, but less so about this mod:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/gns530-mod/296598

Is this a worthwhile installation, does anybody have experience with it? If so, will it improve my experience on Vatsim?

Thank you,

Luke

I can't say if it will improve your Vatsim experience but I can say it will improve your overall flying experience.  Yes, GET IT!!!!!!  I don't fly any of my Garmin-equipped aircraft without a mod (either the 530 or Working Title's G1000/G3000).

Edited by Little Jenny
  • Like 4

It’s fantastic, right up there with the Working Title Garmin mods...I wouldn’t fly without it.

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yes it will improve your overall flying experience a lot.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

delete

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi guys.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I've to remove it.

Using it with the Carenado PA44, upon programming a SID out of KSAN, when I enabled vertical speed at 1000fpm and navigation to follow the GPS, the plane takes a literal nose dive at the ground. Absolutely no idea why. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this?

34 minutes ago, Bigbluss said:

Hi guys.

Using it with the Carenado PA44, upon programming a SID out of KSAN, when I enabled vertical speed at 1000fpm and navigation to follow the GPS, the plane takes a literal nose dive at the ground. Absolutely no idea why. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this?

I think there is a trim issue with the PA44.  I do not have the GNS mod but I am having constant issues with "runaway trim" in this airplane causing nosedives and then fighting to recover.  I always use short bursts of trim since I know the whole trim axis is messed up in MSFS (going back to FSX days) and will go exponential if you hold it too long.  In the PA44 the trim at times will just keep running even after I stop trimming.  I use a Honeycomb yoke but do not have this problem in any other aircraft.  I am guessing this might be what you are experiencing but curious to hear from others.  That said, I need to try this GNS mod....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

46 minutes ago, Bigbluss said:

Hi guys.

Does it happen without the GNS530 mod?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

18 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I think there is a trim issue with the PA44.  I do not have the GNS mod but I am having constant issues with "runaway trim" in this airplane causing nosedives and then fighting to recover. 

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Does it happen without the GNS530 mod?

Appears it does happen without the mod...

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

19 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I think there is a trim issue with the PA44.  I do not have the GNS mod but I am having constant issues with "runaway trim" in this airplane causing nosedives and then fighting to recover.  I always use short bursts of trim since I know the whole trim axis is messed up in MSFS (going back to FSX days) and will go exponential if you hold it too long.  In the PA44 the trim at times will just keep running even after I stop trimming.  I use a Honeycomb yoke but do not have this problem in any other aircraft.  I am guessing this might be what you are experiencing but curious to hear from others.  That said, I need to try this GNS mod....

Is this happening with the autopilot, then you disengage to recover?  I ask because you have to have altitude in order to nosedive.  So what action causes it to begin?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If you hover the mouse above the autopilot rocker switch which adjusts the pitch angle, the "hint" provides the pitch angle. When I turn on the FD with the a/c on the ground, I get a pitch of 572957738 degrees. If I then hit the rocker switch it changes to 30 degrees. There's something wrong with the way the autopilot initiates the pitch reference.

This was with the Mooney M20R which in many ways is a decent airplane. I like the GN530 mod, but am not sure whether the pitch issue can be addressed by this mod.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Appears it does happen without the mod...

I wanted the user to see that the bug has nothing to do with the mod. The mod is excellent and in constant development.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.