Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

awesome video from a pilots eyes

after you watch this you will understand why in 2003 acording to Aviation Week magazine, for every open pilot slot for scheduled airline passanger service...there are on average 3,940 qualified applicants.thus, one can understand that there are folks who will do this job for free, literally.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest CRJ700FO

>thus, one can understand that there are folks who will do this>job for free, literally.yes and they are all the reason why we are paid so poorly. simple supply and demand.

>>thus, one can understand that there are folks who will do>this>>job for free, literally.>>yes and they are all the reason why we are paid so poorly.>simple supply and demand........And the fact that they are only button pushers now and the job requires less attention than driving a passenger train containing four times as many passengers.That is poor paid as wellDave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest jboweruk

Ah yes, but a train isn't going to fall out of the sky if you push the wrong button is it?

Guest Adverse Yawn

>>there are on average 3,940 qualified applicants.Although there is no denying that people crave the job and will sell everything they own just to get a chance, the 3,940 is every pilot applying for every job going. The irony is that out of the 3,940 only 1/8 are probably employable as viable airline pilots and out of that 1/8 probably only a small fraction will have the combination of apttitude, personality AND experience and so will be snapped up pretty quickly. Hence the occasional pilot shortages with no shortage of applicants!I am certain that there are many low houred and qualified people who will never have the chance simply because they are not compatible for one reason or another. So if you have that rare combination of aptitude, qualifications, personality and age commensurate with experience, it probably isn't as tough as it seems.

Guest CRJ700FO

>.......And the fact that they are only button pushers now and>the job requires less attention than driving a passenger train>containing four times as many passengers.>That is poor paid as wellno offense dave, but you're full of it.1) i guess i push a button to check the weather/mtx/preflight before a flight2) i guess i push a button to do all the paperwork involved in one flight3) i guess i push a button to check the weather in flight and make a decision4) i guess i push a button to takeoff or land (not every airplane has autoland)5) tell the 30 or so people on a Mesaba NW Saab that their first officer will make only 17,000 this year and see what they think (NW actually proposed health care that would lower this to 10,700/yr).6) a train will slow to a stop if something brakes on the track in 5 or so miles, if something breaks and "button pushers" aren't there then you plummet 5 or so miles.7) truck drivers have better rest rules than pilots8) i guess when the stuff hits the fan, you just want button pushers up therebut then again, i just push buttons for a living. hey whats this thing right in front of me? a yoke? whats that?oh yeah i forgot, the buttons are usually MEL'd. my gosh, what are we going to do now?shall we discuss the "work 8 days a month" myth next?

Dear Unsigned,No offense taken I can assure you.Train driving, Steam engine and Loose coupled Goods trains yes, I've been there done it.I pointed out the fact that both jobs are relevative. I was trained to drive on the railway mostly through studies of other people doing it while I was paid as a fireman.Like you were trained to fly and understand what to do in emergencies too.As progress and modernisation took over, the job became a whole lot easier as has, flying aircrfaft, I hope you wil agree? You are trained how to check the weather and your route etc., as I was.The ease of the job is not only noticed by the general public but, by your employers too.When I found myself driving Diesel Electric Locomotives onlookers would comment 'I could do that' to which I would reply, "I get paid for what I know and not necessarily what I do".In that mode, both jobs are relative but as you have agreed, underpaid.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Rockcliffe

You guys can bicker all you want.I say this video is fantastic. Thanks for posting.BlairCYOW

Guest CRJ700FO

>In that mode, both jobs are relative but as you have agreed,>underpaid.amen to that. mgmt gets raises all the time though. i hope the nwa pilots shut them down.scott

Guest Derek D

If anyone wants an example of an extremely OVERpaid job, just think of your favorite athelete :-lol (oh man I probably shouldn't have gone there).Derek D.

Guest Dasher7

Hehe, my favorite part is where the fly-boy kicks the tires ;)-dasher7

My uncle was a fighter pilot in the RAAF. He flew Mirages at one stage then went on to become an F18 Hornet instructor/squadron leader. He is now working in airforce logistics/strategic think tank. When he comes over for Christmas all I want to do is talk planes with him, and you know what he tells me? "Tristan, my passions aren't and never have been in aviation/flying.....my secret passion is actually trains". He told me he had the time of his life when his mate let him take a jumpseat ride on some long-haul cargo train. I couldn't believe it, after doing the flying he has done, it turns out that he just wants to drive trains! Of course he's still working for the RAAF, but I guess when a duty-full son does what his father tells him to do and joins the airforce, he's not necassarily going to love it. Each to their own! I'll have the flying thanks:) Tristan