Sign in to follow this  
Phantoms

Trees as far as you can see

7 hours ago, kt069 said:

Options-General-Graphics-Objects Level of Detail (LOD)

I would not be so sure, many are using LOD to refer to Terrain Level of Details.

When you know what 200 can do I still want to put it to the bottom for me, it's a lot for immersion

17 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Something has changed my sim since I downloaded this tree fix.  I don't know if this tweak is forcing LOD for other things as well, but I don't seem to be getting much pop-in with anything now. 

I just took off from Wycombe Air park outside London, as I turned towards the city, I saw every tall building/skyscraper in the far distance through the haze layer - every one - just a few pixels in the distance to start with, and then they just grew in front of me, no pop-in at all. 

Funnily enough, that was my first flight after installing the mod. I wondered if the reason I could see the city so clearly was because I'd also installed a new London (https://flightsim.to/file/3776/london-city) having removed the Orbx version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sal9000 said:

And you can also see, that over 125 is not really benefit.

To each his own but for me 200 has a clear and obvious benefit over 125. I suppose it also depends on where and how you fly. I like low and slow bush kinda flights.

Yet another comparison between default and mod: with the default it seems my destination (only 4 nm away) lies just outside of the forest I am flying over. In the distance everything is barren and cold. (Also check the landscape on the left at the other side of the river!) With the mod you suddenly see the destination is in the middle of the forest that stretches out ahead into the distance. This gives a totally different view of how things look down there in real life. Yes, I am repeating myself but this mod (I use the blog one) makes everything so much more real. Without it you get a totally wrong view on everything. (Maybe I should have changed the weather from live weather to clear skies LOL but if you click on the pictures the difference will be clear.)

Default:

2def.png

Blog mod (LOD 200):

2mod.png

Edited by tup61

26 minutes ago, tup61 said:

To each his own but for me 200 has a clear and obvious benefit over 125. I suppose it also depends on where and how you fly. I like low and slow bush kinda flights.

Default, Blog mod 125, Blog mod 200 if you don't mind.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

5 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Maybe next time, I'd also like to fly a little bit today LOL. See my first posts in this topic for a comparison with LOD 125 added.

2 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Funnily enough, that was my first flight after installing the mod. I wondered if the reason I could see the city so clearly was because I'd also installed a new London (https://flightsim.to/file/3776/london-city) having removed the Orbx version.

Wow!  That scenery looks great!  Much better colour matching than the Orbx version I think - more natural looking.

Just for reference, I had Orbx London Scenery and Orbx London City Airport installed om mine during my test. 

I am seriously considering swapping to the flightsim.to version after looking at it, as it is compatible with Orbx London City Airport as well.   What's the performance like?

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Wow!  That scenery looks great!  Much better colour matching than the Orbx version I think - more natural looking.

Just for reference, I had Orbx London Scenery and Orbx London City Airport installed om mine during my test. 

I am seriously considering swapping to the flightsim.to version after looking at it, as it is compatible with Orbx London City Airport as well.   What's the performance like?

It does look great but performance has even the finest spec'd rigs staggering about like a drunken lady in high heels on a friday night binge.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

It does look great but performance has even the finest spec'd rigs staggering about like a drunken lady in high heels on a friday night binge.

Ha!  I can assure you I have plenty of experience of your comparison above  :biggrin: - so I will steer clear!  That settles it then - that's a shame!  I wondered if this was the case by the nearly 2.65GB download size. 

• Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Ha!  I can assure you I have plenty of experience of your comparison above  :biggrin: - so I will steer clear!  That settles it then - that's a shame!  I wondered if this was the case by the nearly 2.65GB download size. 

It's actually flyable on my system. Not amazing framerates but okay for GA. Certainly a lot better than Nice when it originally appeared, if you ever tried that! Anyway, what do you have to lose? It's free, give it a go 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

It's actually flyable on my system. Not amazing framerates but okay for GA. Certainly a lot better than Nice when it originally appeared, if you ever tried that! Anyway, what do you have to lose? It's free, give it a go 😁

OK!  Like you say, nothing to loose and I can always reverse things.  I will give it a go and report back. 👍  I do fear it might be too much for my 1080Ti though.  Like you say, Nice brought me to a crawl - about 12 fps. :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

O, wait, doing default comparisons is too much work right now but I can easily compare blog mod LOD 125 and blog mod LOD 200 of course. See screenshots below. I can imagine people not caring for this small difference but for me personally it is worth it. 😉 Even at LOD 200 the line where the trees stop can be annyoing imho LOL Of course it also depends on where you fly, altitude, time of day, weather, mountains, etc. Anyway, the mod beats default. I can't imaging flying with the default settings anymore.

LOD 200:

Schermopname-23.png

LOD 125:

Schermopname-22.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tup61 said:

O, wait, doing default comparisons is too much work right now but I can easily compare blog mod LOD 125 and blog mod LOD 200 of course. See screenshots below. I can imagine people not caring for this small difference but for me personally it is worth it. 😉 Even at LOD 200 the line where the trees stop can be annyoing imho LOL Of course it also depends on where you fly, altitude, time of day, weather, mountains, etc. Anyway, the mod beats default. I can't imaging flying with the default settings anymore.

Found some a few pages back but thank you, these are better. Subtle differences which I would never notice unless I was changing back and forth between them.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe