Sign in to follow this  
Phantoms

Trees as far as you can see

10 minutes ago, tup61 said:

O, wait, doing default comparisons is too much work right now but I can easily compare blog mod LOD 125 and blog mod LOD 200 of course. See screenshots below. I can imagine people not caring for this small difference but for me personally it is worth it. 😉 Even at LOD 200 the line where the trees stop can be annoying imho LOL Of course it also depends on where you fly, altitude, time of day, weather, mountains, etc. Anyway, the mod beats default. I can't imaging flying with the default settings anymore.

Thanks for the comparisons 👍  That shows it well. 

Strangely it seems to affect the nearer trees as well.  I am not sure I fully understand what the LOD slider does anymore.  I thought it was just viewing radius from the aircraft, but your trees in the left foreground change as well.  It is obviously linked to size of the objects now (trees in this case), as that is how the tweak works, but I think we are all learning a bit as we go. 

My real question is, does Asobo know what the LOD setting does in their own sim? :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Ha!  I can assure you I have plenty of experience of your comparison above  :biggrin: - so I will steer clear!  That settles it then - that's a shame!  I wondered if this was the case by the nearly 2.65GB download size. 

I did a six week training course in Bradford once - aviation related - I'll never forget it and I still have odd dreams about, well, . . .those Friday nights down in the town centre with a bunch of us young pilots thoroughly wet behind the ears - experiencing, all sorts of things. 

I kid you not - an old bloke at the door of a pub called "The Spotted Dog", with a whippet on a lead and holding out a flat cap saying "A pound in the hat for the lass to do her stuff". My "Flying" education was completed in Bradford. That's enough said.

Like that London Scenery - Very attractive but very dangerous - your RAM is going to melt - if you get my meaning. 😉

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

Most of where i fly this mod does not make a huge difference, but I purchased the Venezuela Mayor Buenaventura Vivas marketplace airfield at teh XMAS sale and in the mountains of Venezuela it makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Most of where i fly this mod does not make a huge difference,

Where do you fly?

Desert, Space, Underground 😉

• Like 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

40 minutes ago, sal9000 said:

Where do you fly?

Desert, Space, Underground 😉

below 1000ft in valleys and stuff with lots of cloud 😄   

Venezula with the tree mod looks pretty good though I must say :

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

My god!  With what you are flying there (a Bleriot?), you will be able to build hundreds of those with the new trees provided! 😁

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

22 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

My god!  With what you are flying there (a Bleriot?), you will be able to build hundreds of those with the new trees provided! 😁

A wee bit on the slow side but a nice view of the scenery and plenty of time to admire it   😄

The gnome variant is fine but that Azanti version is a PITA to get off the ground without PIO and wing strike.   Oddly (and counterintuitively) a slight uphill runway seems to help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The gnome variant is fine but that Azanti version is a PITA to get off the ground without PIO and wing strike.   

Oddly (and counterintuitively) a slight uphill runway seems to help.

Well, I suppose it is because when you let the elastic band go, it is already pointing upwards! 😁

22 minutes ago, crimplene said:

I flew in Costa Rica yesterday with the Blog mod. They have even more trees than in Alaska. 🙂

Nice! I'm going to have to check that blog mod out 😄

• Like 1

So, in graphics menu, terrain level of detail slider effects draw distance??? 

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

below 1000ft in valleys and stuff with lots of cloud 😄   

whats up with all that stuttering?

4 minutes ago, spitzer45 said:

So, in graphics menu, terrain level of detail slider effects draw distance??? 

Yes that is one thing that effects it.

But things like building quality effect draw distance of buildings and and tree quality gives more trees close up and effect draw distance and number of trees.

24 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Well, I suppose it is because when you let the elastic band go, it is already pointing upwards! 😁

lol ...  part of the trick seems to be to jab the rudder, this is one of my more successful takeoffs