Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Linux + MSFS

Hi,

just out of interest: is there a way to run MSFS on linux? @asobo could that be something that had a chance to be possible in the future?

15 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Hi,

just out of interest: is there a way to run MSFS on linux? @asobo could that be something that had a chance to be possible in the future?

Quick answer is, 'No'.  This is not XPlane, Microsoft keeps their products close to the vest.  This is how it's been for years with FS.  Linux was never a consideration.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Maybe wait 1 or 2 years until Windows goes Linux...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What a nightmare that would be. 

There is only one supreme gaming platform: Windows. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 2

I know, it's quite an old topic. Yet I'm also interested to know the answer to the same question since I've switched to the Linux-based Pop_OS! desktop distro a few months ago. Like it as I've never liked Windows. Anyway, after some searchm that'w what I found:

ArchLinux test on Youtube
Discussion on Reddit

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Never going to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can't picture using Wine to run MSFS on Linux based OS 😅. Anyway, you have two options, either install windows as second OS or use X-Plane since it supports Linux 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:04 AM, omarsmak30 said:

I can't picture using Wine to run MSFS on Linux based OS 😅. Anyway, you have two options, either install windows as second OS or use X-Plane since it supports Linux 

Well, a bit later and here we go, it actually works quite well on Linux :) Only thing that does not work atm is multiplayer server connection. I even get about the same framerate as on windows. It's also as easy as installing from Steam (maybe changing steamplay version to proton experimental) and hitting launch.

Proton Github Issue

ProtonDB Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator can work on Linux, but only with the technology built into Steam for Linux, known as Steam Play. Due to this fact, you’ll need to install Steam on your Linux PC to play the game.

53 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator can work on Linux, but only with the technology built into Steam for Linux, known as Steam Play. Due to this fact, you’ll need to install Steam on your Linux PC to play the game.

What if I have the bought MSFS via xbox game pass, so the microsoft store and not steam?

On 12/29/2020 at 7:00 AM, Anatoli-Kagari9 said:

Maybe wait 1 or 2 years until Windows goes Linux...

LOL…Windows isn’t “going Linux” or it would just be…Linux. And there is a reason why Linux hasn’t gotten any traction in the desktop market. It’s a server OS and does well in that space.

18 hours ago, 737_800 said:

What if I have the bought MSFS via xbox game pass, so the microsoft store and not steam?

You could manually install wine and proton and walk through the missing dlls. Google is your friend but it's probably not worth the hassle it you look at feedback from those who tried it on Ubuntu.

Linux is not only webservers but also Android, the upcoming Steamdeck and more. I've used it a lot back in times when it was more secure than Windows.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:34 PM, 737_800 said:

Hi,

I will let you know after I figure out how to run MSFS properly on Windows.. 🙄

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Linux is great if you are the kind of guy that likes to have total control of your OS with no bloatware, but for gaming, nothing comes close to MS Windows even with all its bloatware.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

Linux is great if you are the kind of guy that likes to have total control of your OS with no bloatware, but for gaming, nothing comes close to MS Windows even with all its bloatware.

Most, if not all of the “bloatware” is a thing of the past. And the majority was added by 3rd parties for their hardware.

If you install Windows 10 or Windows 11 from Microsoft ISO or media, what “bloatware” is included?