Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Mods name in Community folder

After installing some add-ons, it is now a mess in my Community folder. I remember reading a post, I thought it was here on AVSIM but couldn't find it back, which was saying we were free to change the mod folder names in the community folder. Unfortunately, it is not the case, changing the names induced unsolvable errors. Maybe it is because I first used the mods with their original names and changed them afterwards, maybe it works better if I change the name BEFORE using any mod.

Anyway, I wanted to rename the folders within the community folder, with something like ACFT prefix for aircraft, LIV for liveries, SCEN for sceneries, etc... It makes it convenient because the mods are then ordered in a proper way. But it caused an error, MSFS saying packages are outdated (I don't exactly remember the exact message), the only solution was to remove all mods or revert back to their original names.

Did I do something wrong? Or are we not allowed to change the mod folder names?

Thanks for any advice.

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

After installing some add-ons, it is now a mess in my Community folder. I remember reading a post, I thought it was here on AVSIM but couldn't find it back, which was saying we were free to change the mod folder names in the community folder. Unfortunately, it is not the case, changing the names induced unsolvable errors. Maybe it is because I first used the mods with their original names and changed them afterwards, maybe it works better if I change the name BEFORE using any mod.

Anyway, I wanted to rename the folders within the community folder, with something like ACFT prefix for aircraft, LIV for liveries, SCEN for sceneries, etc... It makes it convenient because the mods are then ordered in a proper way. But it caused an error, MSFS saying packages are outdated (I don't exactly remember the exact message), the only solution was to remove all mods or revert back to their original names.

Did I do something wrong? Or are we not allowed to change the mod folder names?

Thanks for any advice.

I think if it is a simple "drop in" mod you can rename them. 

You might need to rebuild the manifest file in some cases not sure.

However if it is something fancy that use a symbolic link such as mods installed by FSDT it may mess up.

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I think if it is a simple "drop in" mod you can rename them. 

You might need to rebuild the manifest file in some cases not sure.

However if it is something fancy that use a symbolic link such as mods installed by FSDT it may mess up.

I was thinking about the manifest file, I checked them to see if the mod folder name is in this file, in case it needs to be changed. But it isn't, the mod folder name is not in the manifest, so it should work. Maybe just 1 mod causes the error, I can't know unless I rename them 1 by 1 and relaunch MSFS each time. Long task...

My suggestion would be not to rename the packages in the community folder but instead to use MSFS Addons Linker.

This allows you to use a repository located wherever you like in your computer and within that you can create subfolders for each category.

3 minutes ago, peroni said:

My suggestion would be not to rename the packages in the community folder but instead to use MSFS Addons Linker.

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

You need to create an account to download, but it is worth it in spades,

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Just for information, I've always changed the add-on names to my liking when placing the new folders inside the Community, without touching anything else (manifest files, etc.), and never had any issues.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

27 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Just for information, I've always changed the add-on names to my liking when placing the new folders inside the Community, without touching anything else (manifest files, etc.), and never had any issues.

Cheers, Ed

I've also renamed all mods according to my preferred naming convention without modifying the manifest files and never had any issues.

BTW, another recommendation for the Linker and for flightsim.to in general. A huge advantage of creating an account there is that you can keep track of updates to the mods you've downloaded (and follow your favorite mod creators).

Regards,

Tym

Edited by tymk

49 minutes ago, peroni said:

This allows you to use a repository located wherever you like in your computer and within that you can create subfolders for each category.

I 2nd this.

you can create a master folder, then sub folders as you like. Example I have a master folder called “MSFS linked add-ons one click remove”, then under that country folders then the type of add on. Example UK\airports, UK\scenery etc. Then I use the add on linker to create the symbolic links in MSFS community folder. 

the only exception to this is payware software - for now that sits in the community folder, but that might change.

ive also backed up my “official” folder onto another drive - due to my recent problems with MSFS.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Thanks to all for your quick replies, I think I will use the linker, this is probably the best solution.

• Like 2