Sign in to follow this  
thegeneral101

Why Does the Cessna 208 Grand Caravan Suck So Much?

I was reading through the recent thread about the best GA planes, and it got me thinking...for the Grand Caravan being a "staple" in the last few MSFS releases, why can't they get it dialed in? 

I'm a GA pilot (most time spent in four seaters) but I occasionally like flying the 208 and agree it could use improvement. Not being an expert in the turboprops, it just strikes me as odd that they would include it if its that far off. 

And I am also surprised more people don't seem to like to fly it. 

Is there any hope that it will improve? Either in updates or payware. 

• Upvote 3

I’d like to hear others feedback on this aircraft.

I personally don’t fly it Much because it simply gets outdone by the TBM 930. The latter being much faster at cruise but still capable on short strips.

I do prefer the view out of the high wing caravan and it’s larger cockpit windows.

Edited by Azapata87
  • Like 1

I didn't mind it until the first update, which broke the autopilot.  I don't use an a/c like that to fly short hops, I use it for things where I want to be able to take my hands off the controls.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I flew it a few days ago and the ap worked for me. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

AP working fine here.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I like it, but it suffers from the same ailments as all turboprops have had since FS9.

Poor turboprop engine behavior, poor ground handling, etc.

I wish someone put out a non-EX, short body, 208 with the option to fly with out the cargo pod, I bet it would be a popular option!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmcollazo71 said:

I like it, but it suffers from the same ailments as all turboprops have had since FS9.

Poor turboprop engine behavior, poor ground handling, etc.

I wish someone put out a non-EX, short body, 208 with the option to fly with out the cargo pod, I bet it would be a popular option!

I want the EX grand caravan amphibian....  with carbon fiber Wipaire floats!

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

I want the EX grand caravan amphibian....  with carbon fiber Wipaire floats!

It could be package with six variants: wheeled, floats, ski’s for both 208 and  208B (EX).

How much would we pay for that package?

It's okay.  AP works for me.  It's certainly not study-sim, but it seems to be close to expected performance numbers...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

One other thing to think about is that the grand caravan is a completely mission driven aircraft irl...ie tour operators in Alaska for example. 

since their primary use is towing around weight, and “weight” outside of weight/balance and your imagination, it makes sense that it’s utility is lost in the sim. 

want to go faster? Take the tbm. Want to fly bush? The cub, et all are better planes for true bush flying. want to putter around in ga? Bonanza or 172 are the choice. 

Unless you run an outside bush campaign, just not a lot of reason to fly this plane other than it can “look cool” for photo ops. 

Just now, Ajb376 said:

One other thing to think about is that the grand caravan is a completely mission driven aircraft irl...ie tour operators in Alaska for example. 

since their primary use is towing around weight, and “weight” outside of weight/balance and your imagination, it makes sense that it’s utility is lost in the sim. 

want to go faster? Take the tbm. Want to fly bush? The cub, et all are better planes for true bush flying. want to putter around in ga? Bonanza or 172 are the choice. 

Unless you run an outside bush campaign, just not a lot of reason to fly this plane other than it can “look cool” for photo ops. 

With things such as Air Hauler et all available, there is definitely a requirement/home for a float-equipped Grand Caravan in MSFS. And it is undeniably the best-looking modern floatplane there is too, which doesn't hurt.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

35 minutes ago, Cmcollazo71 said:

It could be package with six variants: wheeled, floats, ski’s for both 208 and  208B (EX).

How much would we pay for that package?

I was hoping maybe Asobo comes out with a DLC...  or Carenado does it.  I mean if I had my way I'd want A2A to do it!

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I was hoping maybe Asobo comes out with a DLC...  or Carenado does it.  I mean if I had my way I'd want A2A to do it!

Hope so someday, the Grand Caravan Floatplane is my crazy billionaire/lottery win dream plane. 🤣

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Interesting.  When the a/p first started acting up, I remember that I mentioned it here and some others said they were having the same issue.  The functions work except for the altitude hold, it just keeps climbing right past the set target.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]