Sign in to follow this  
BillStewart

Any Brunner yoke users?

I should add that I am able to read the current trim setting in MSFS using Spad.next's interface to the SimConnect DLL and then output that over serial. I have an Arduino then read the serial data and move a linear actuator in response to those trim changes in the sim. I had thought about making a tray in which to mount my yoke so that the yoke would move to relieve the pitch force as you trim nose up/down, but that feels a bit "Rube-Goldberg". The tidier solution would be to just buy a Brunner yoke...

I can't speak to the trim wheel question but the Brunner yoke is working well in MSFS.  It used it's own software for FFB configuration and to connect to the sim.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

27 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I can't speak to the trim wheel question but the Brunner yoke is working well in MSFS.  It used it's own software for FFB configuration and to connect to the sim.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated! I have two follow up questions though:

1. What happens on the Brunner yoke if you use a mouse to turn the trim wheel in the MSFS cockpit? Do you get the proper response in the Brunner yoke (e.g. it works the same as if you pressed the trim switches on the yoke), or does everything just go out of whack?

2. Do you see the trim wheel move in the MSFS cockpit when you click on the elevator trim switch on the yoke?

Good questions, I haven’t paid much attention to the wheel itself…I’ll take a look next time I fly.  There are two different ways to use trim on the yoke, one physically moves the yoke and the other uses the simulator trim.  I suspect the former doesn’t work with the sim trim wheel.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Good questions, I haven’t paid much attention to the wheel itself…I’ll take a look next time I fly.  There are two different ways to use trim on the yoke, one physically moves the yoke and the other uses the simulator trim.  I suspect the former doesn’t work with the sim trim wheel.

Interesting. What's the difference between the two from the user's perspective? Does only the one that physically moves the yoke relieve the back/forward pressure?

It sounds like the trim that moves the yoke may just be superimposing a "pseudo trim" onto their control inputs to the sim, so that you're not actually trimming the aircraft in the sim but applying a bias to the yoke's pitch axis instead?

P.S. I like the CP Air vertical fin avatar. That company and Canadian Airlines that it eventually merged into was great. They had a culture of finding ways to get things done correctly with often very limited resources. It was a shame when they merged with Big Red.

I think it’s easier to feel when the pressure has been relieved with the yoke moving?  

I certainly do have a soft spot for CP…loved their bright paint schemes as a kid.

Dave

This post has been pretty informative for sure.  I currently have a yoko+ but am strongly considering the Brunner CLS-E MKII.  IRL flying is getting too expensive with fuel costs these days on top of that I just dont have the time to fly as much.  

Anyone in the US have the brunner and have to pay any of the extra taxes/duty fees they mention on the brunner site?  I think as long as there are no hidden fees and I double check all the measurements for my current sim pit I'll probably be pulling the trigger...

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

4 hours ago, pegruder said:

This post has been pretty informative for sure.  I currently have a yoko+ but am strongly considering the Brunner CLS-E MKII.  IRL flying is getting too expensive with fuel costs these days on top of that I just dont have the time to fly as much.  

Anyone in the US have the brunner and have to pay any of the extra taxes/duty fees they mention on the brunner site?  I think as long as there are no hidden fees and I double check all the measurements for my current sim pit I'll probably be pulling the trigger...

This is what I paid back in 2018 with shipping to Hawaii.

Product Quantity Price
Subtotal: 1.890,00
Shipping: 105,00 via Versandkostenpauschale
Payment Method: PayPal
Total:

CLS-E YOKE 1 1.890,00

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

1 hour ago, mokeiko said:

This is what I paid back in 2018 with shipping to Hawaii.

Product Quantity Price
Subtotal: 1.890,00
Shipping: 105,00 via Versandkostenpauschale
Payment Method: PayPal
Total:

CLS-E YOKE 1 1.890,00

fly safe

Sweet, I think I may do it...I gotta double check the measurements but from what I saw I think its the same height as the yoko but a little narrower.  Long as it fits in my RSG panel I think I'm all in.  Everyone seems to have a positive experience with it and can't go back.  The fact you can customize it so every plane you fly actually feels more appropriate sounds incredible.  I do love the yoko, but no matter what Im flying whether its a CJ4, a 172 or anything else, it all has the same feel (for obvious reasons).  How long did it take to arrive?  I feel like a kid on Christmas and I haven't even pulled the trigger yet lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

At some point I'll have the $$ to get a Brunner yoke...as far as I'm concerned it's worth it's cost just for the fact the yoke follows the trim setting.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, pegruder said:

Sweet, I think I may do it...I gotta double check the measurements but from what I saw I think its the same height as the yoko but a little narrower.  Long as it fits in my RSG panel I think I'm all in.  Everyone seems to have a positive experience with it and can't go back.  The fact you can customize it so every plane you fly actually feels more appropriate sounds incredible.  I do love the yoko, but no matter what Im flying whether its a CJ4, a 172 or anything else, it all has the same feel (for obvious reasons).  How long did it take to arrive?  I feel like a kid on Christmas and I haven't even pulled the trigger yet lol.

I think it took an agonizing month to get it, lol.

By the way, how do you like the TBM900 Panel, I've been thinking about getting that for awhile now.

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

18 hours ago, mokeiko said:

I think it took an agonizing month to get it, lol.

By the way, how do you like the TBM900 Panel, I've been thinking about getting that for awhile now.

fly safe

The TBM panel is incredible!  It works with anything thats G1000 which is nice too so its not tied just to the TBM900, although thats what it was designed for and works best in.  Anything G1000, the AP system, most of the lighting switches, key panel, all work in anything G1000 I've used in XP11 or MSFS.  I havent figured out a way for the TBM930 to work with it though aside from the pop out panels.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

4 hours ago, pegruder said:

The TBM panel is incredible!  It works with anything thats G1000 which is nice too so its not tied just to the TBM900, although thats what it was designed for and works best in.  Anything G1000, the AP system, most of the lighting switches, key panel, all work in anything G1000 I've used in XP11 or MSFS.  I havent figured out a way for the TBM930 to work with it though aside from the pop out panels.

Thanks Chris!

fly safe

Francisco Blas

I think people are missing the point about the yoke moving.

In a RL light aircraft you hold the correct pitch attitude with yoke (level/climb/etc) and then trim until the air pressure trying to move the yoke disappears. 

When flown correctly the yoke does not move the control pressure needed to hold it in the correct position just goes away.

On a non-FFB yoke you can sort of emulate this by gradually moving the yoke back to centre as you trim but it is not the same and far harder to get correct trim. Airliners with fly by wire can be different of course.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Received my brunner about 2 weeks ago and it's absolutely a game changer!  Been too busy flying to post about it lol.  

• Like 3

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS