Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

mod oddity

I find it really odd that there are mods to fix problems that people who never modded their systems in the first place don't have.

For example,  I see a lot of complaints about tree view distance but my non modded system looks just fine to me.

I think people unknowingly cause their own problems sometimes.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

27 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I find it really odd that there are mods to fix problems that people who never modded their systems in the first place don't have.

For example,  I see a lot of complaints about tree view distance but my non modded system looks just fine to me.

Yeah you're absolutely right. You have people complaining about lod not being good enough, can't see tree a hundred miles out etc, it goes on and on lol

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

my non modded system looks just fine to me.

Exactly!

I tried some mods but my system started acting up.

I decided to keep everything default and just to be patient and wait for official improvements as they developed.

I even parted ways with the beloved Bonanza mod by Robert Young, but Asobo tweaked the G36 in the last update and I’m satisfied with it.

So, I’m sticking with the sim as is.

Paraphrasing Epictetus, “Don’t wish for things to be as you wish, but wish that they be as they are.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

Meh, basically if you ask 100 people what you like or don't like about the sim, you'll get 100 different answers.  Everyone views things from their own lens.   haha, as a matter of fact, I added the tree mod this morning, but I don't even think I've looked at trees in such a way that I thought the mod was needed, I just stuck it in there.  I will say tho, they look pretty good.  I'll have to remove the mod to see what they looked like before.  ahemmm...I think my lens is foggy.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

24 minutes ago, Cmcollazo71 said:

Paraphrasing Epictetus, “Don’t wish for things to be as you wish, but wish that they be as they are.”

I'm betting that Epictetus never had a flight sim that just HAD to be tweaked 🤪

• Like 2

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

The sim is not perfect but it looks miles better than P3D with addons so I will just wait for Asobo to fix the scenery rather than adding mods that make the experience worse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Ha! You’re probably right, ex-slave 1st century philosophers exiled to Greece from Rome, probably didn’t have the internet bandwidth either! 🥸

Edited by Cmcollazo71
  • Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the default sim.  I'm just not sure whats supposed to be wrong with what I'm seeing here:

mwRBtAA.png

AVVf1q4.png

but to each their own...  

• Like 3

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I'm deliberately taking it really slowly when it comes to add ons and mods with MSFS. My P3D and Xplane installs quickly became a mess and I was forever tweaking it trying to eek out every bit of performance I could.

I don't even know what FPS I get in MSFS, because I know that as soon as I check it it will become a fixation! I'm sure at some point I'll cave and start installing some mods but the default experience is fantastic, and relatively stable as far as I'm concerned. It is my observation that very few, if any, of those suffering stability problems and CTDs are running the sim un-modded/vanilla.

• Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

17 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

But you can fly over his house.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sightseer said:

I agree. Out of curiosity I installed the tree-fix mod and saw no real difference in tree coverage. But worse, it caused CTDs, which I verified in several trials. There are, of course, fixes that in my opinion are useful, e.g. those correcting elevation errors and tree height. It is just necessary to be selective, and careful, with addon fixes.

What I worry about are people who mod their system and then expect Asobo to spend time chasing down problems that don't exist in the first place.  I love the idea of Asobo working collaboratively with people like Working Title for example to improve the default aircraft.  Those are the kinds of mods that can benefit us all.

• Like 2

Every time I see this thread I want to call it moddity 🙂

Good points raised here, admittedly when I saw the thread about the extended trees I got excited, then I paused and said to myself “have you ever noticed far away trees not rendering?  Did it impact your enjoyment of the sim?”  The answer to both of these was no so I skipped the mod...given that I’ve started having CTD’s in the current version of MSFS I think minimizing mods to only those you really want/need is important rather than giving in to the urge to download everything.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I had over 1000 Mods of all kind installed, but only this ones active where I am flying.

Thanks to Addon-Linker😉

Can´t remember when my last CTD was.

If there is one, the mod will gone.

Edited by sal9000
  • Upvote 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

2 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

I don't even know what FPS I get in MSFS, because I know that as soon as I check it it will become a fixation! I'

This is why I commented in the thread about “Missing Shift + Z” thread, sometimes ignorance is bliss!

• Like 1