Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Ssd sata v m.2 in new system

Hi im putting together a new system and was wondering if a couple of things still hold true. 

I plan on canabalising a couple of my drives from the current pc i own which are sata ssd's. (Both samsung ) and my new build will contain an m.2 drive.

My question is. Apart from initial loading times are there any real improvements to be had by having my flight sims on the m.2 drive, or should i leave them on the current sata ssd and transfer the drive to the new pc.

My os would most likely go on a sata ssd as boot times and general operation are quick enough for my current needs,as the new mobo has 2 m.2 slots i can always add another drive at a later date

Pete Little

Assuming your M2 drive is NVMe and not mSATA then I'd put your OS on the M2 and leave your other programs on the SATA SSDs.

You'd see more benefit with the OS on the NVMe drive than FS but, in all honesty, it's pretty marginal...

• Like 1

Hello,

isn't there any substantial advantages of having P3D installed on a M2 NVMe SSD instead of on a SATA SSD?

At the moment my sim is installed on SATA, and I have long loading times (4-5 min...). Would there be strong benefit in moving the sim installation on a M2 drive (I'd be already happy with loading times half as what I have now) ?

Thanks

On 12/30/2020 at 2:43 AM, iwebber said:

Assuming your M2 drive is NVMe and not mSATA then I'd put your OS on the M2 and leave your other programs on the SATA SSDs.

You'd see more benefit with the OS on the NVMe drive than FS but, in all honesty, it's pretty marginal...

Agreed 100%, why people leave the OS on an SSD and put their sim on the nvme drive makes me shake my head.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, Fatback said:

But I understand that now you can put both the sim and OS on the same nvme drive?

You can, if it is big enough...

Bert

I just bought a 1TB nvme drive and will put Win10 on the C drive and P3D V5 on another, but all on the nvme. I might have to move things around in a year or two but will be fine for now. 

I had Win 10 and P3D on a SATA SSD and afterwards on a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD.

There were no recoginzable differences at all. Not on windows level, not on P3D side.

Before you buy things, read the info that came with (or will come with) your motherboard or you might be unpleasantly surprised.

For example, on my Asus z490 TUF Gaming board, there are 6 SATA ports and 2 M.2 slots. I have an M.2 NVMe in the 1st M2 slot, and I had it set to run in PCIE mode instead of SATA mode. Now, by plugging the M.2 NVMe into the first M.2 slot and setting it to PCIE mode, I lost 2 of the regular SATA ports. They got disabled so the M.2 could work. I originally had 2 SSD, 2 HDD, and 1 DVD hooked up in my old system. That's 5 SATA total. I lost 2 SATA ports on the new MB by installing the M.2 in PCIE mode. If I had set the M.2 to SATA mode, I would have only lost one. I ended up changing it to SATA mode and re-installing Windows again but also had to ditch the small SSD that was the OS drive for my old setup. Plugging the M2. in the second slot also causes 1 SATA port to stop working.

So.. Just giving you a heads up to read the MB manual carefully before you buy or you might end up with devices that you have no place to plug in.  

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440