Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Northern lights V5

I was disappointed to discover that P3D didn’t include the northern lights (Aurora Borealis), even though FS9 had implemented this ten years ago. 
Is there an add on that would create them?
Thanks

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

ENVTEX by TOGA projects also adds them. However, they are placed at certain places around the globe and are not randomly generated:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1fNWr3RDS4VF3fzJGZFqY87BxYpUlCqUw&ll=60.650344005902454%2C-37.92485620927312&z=3

https://www.togaprojects.com/auroras

Nevertheless, they do look nice and enhance flying in the northern latitudes. And if you are not using EA you will also benefit from great looking sky textures that can be combined with ASCA. Envtex's Auroras do btw also work with Enhanced Atmospherics.

• Like 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Does P3D5 show them? Even without using EA?

64.0 GB RAM

1 hour ago, BWBriscoe said:

Does P3D5 show them? Even without using EA?

ENVTEX? Yes and yes. The aurora does work with EA and without EA.

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

41 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

ENVTEX? Yes and yes. The aurora does work with EA and without EA.

Sorry i meant does the default P3D5 without ENVTEX show them?

64.0 GB RAM

2 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

Sorry i meant does the default P3D5 without ENVTEX show them?

I have seen the Northern Lights, but only with EA off. It's the same with the Milky Way. I have seen the Milky Way with EA off but not with it on.

Does anyone know what the conditions have to be, where I have to be etc in default P3D5 with ASP3D to generate them?

• Upvote 1

64.0 GB RAM

I would like to know too. I have installed custom sky textures from Mo-Vision and tomato shade RDPresets. I am on v4.5 HF3 still. I don't see them at all. 

I found a way to work it. First, I increased drastically the effects live time lines to 5 numbers each and second, if you are using Tomato Shade, just restore shaders to original values. That's the only way for Aurora to work in sim.