Sign in to follow this  
cbrown

FS9.1 update problem

I've re-installed FS9 after changing hard drives and changing to Win7 64 bit. I now have 2 SSDs and 1 TB HDD. I have done a complete re-install of FS9 from discs and run it 2 or 3 times with default C172 at Seattle to check it.  It takes a lot longer to start which seems odd since  I'm now using SSDs and my cursor arrow turns black if I touch the kneeboard, but returns to normal without it.  I'm now running in XP SP3 compatibility mode. I've tried to apply the 9.1 update but I get Error 34 and it wont run.  I've tried as many fixes as I could find here and some from Google but nothing works. The Flight 1 registry repair tool doesn't help. When I check the registry entry it puts the key in HKCU although it says it's put it in HKLM so I've edited the repair tool to put it where it says,( HKLM). There are only 2 entries for the FS9.0 key, ..default and first run. There is no pointer to FS9.EXE.

Does anyone know the correct Key content and placement?  Or does anyone know anything more to try. I've already re-installed twice from discs. A copy of my original install was tried first using Wobbie's method posted here a while ago but it didn't run well at all. The only other change has been the addition of 6 more GB of RAM, now up to 8.

Colin B

Colin,

I found the addition of several older versions of MS visual C++ redistributable eliminated my issues after an HDD failure. I currently run no less than seven versions of it dating back to 2005 and as new as 2019.  Just a thought..

Lee

Edited by clipper759
spelling

Lee Adams

JAFO

okey so a friend of mine from france had this exact same problem and I was able to walk her through it. I cannot remember where I found the article I used so i'll just type it here. 

quote: 

You may receive the "Update Error Type 32" error message if there is a registry value that is not valid for the location of the fs9.exe file. To resolve this error message, correct the EXE path string value in the registry. To do this, follow these steps: 

1. click Start, click run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. 
  2. Locate and then select the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft games\Flight Simulator\9.0
  3. Right click the EXE path string value, and then click modify. 
  4. in the value data box, use one of the following procedures, and then click OK: OPTION 1: type the correct path of the fs9.exe file. for example, type C:\program files\microsoft\microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9 in the value data box.  OPTION 2: delete the path in the value data box. 
  5. on the file menu, click Exit to quit registry editor.
  6. double click the fs91updt.exe file to install the update.

end quote.

also: reset all the items on the fs9.exe. turn off compatibility. only have Run as Administrator. also run the update as administrator. you can also try installing in safe mode but try normally first. let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks. I did find that via google hence I found the correct location for the reg key. Problem is, there was no EXE path string to modify, only (Default) and FIRSTRUN. I tried modifying the default  with the correct path on my computer but that had no effect.

Do you, (or anyone else) know the entry for the EXE path string so that I can add it to the registry key? The Flight1 repair tool doesn't show it.

Colin B

I'll have a look when I get home to see what mine says. Weird it won't find it. Did you run the FS9 installer as an admin? This gives it all the permissions needed to install properly on newer windows 

Edited by ShortFinal

I've run everything as administrator, tried compatibilities, all on a virgin install, but nothing has worked.  It would be appreciated if you could show your HKLM key.

Colin B

Edited by cbrown

okey well in a turn of events I checked my registry only to find FS9 isn't in there. only FSX which I uninstalled over a year ago. prefer my FS9 CDs. wellllllllll....

have you tried running the installer in windows safe mode?