Sign in to follow this  
rmeier

Fond memories of the B767...

I’ve always had a preference for the B767 IRL. I probably made 30 trips in that model back in 1999/2000 on Air Canada between Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal (including a cockpit jump seat journey from CYYZ to CYVR due to a lucky circumstance of an over-booked flight…like that’s ever going to happen again!).

Made an additional 20 trips between 2000/2003 on Delta Airlines between Atlanta/Cincinnati/and the UK.

I think I was fascinated by the remarkable story of the Gimli Glider back in the early 1980’s…if I recall correctly, the first incident for the B767 series (with a positive outcome!).

The PIC767 (and later Level-D 767) was my go-to aircraft in MSFS in the early/mid-2000’s. The LDS 767 was, truly, ahead of its time.

I was initially reluctant to pick up the Captain Sim 767 last week during their “sale”, but, did succumb to that notorious “purchase now” button.

I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised by this model! Two years ago, I picked up the CS757 (Base + Freighter) for $50 during their Christmas sale.

This latest model is an improvement over their 757, IMHO.

The exterior modeling is excellent and the aircraft flies very well, both manually and on A/P. No issues/hunting following the magenta line with compressed time (4x) as well!

I’ve found myself enjoying this model above the (7 year old) PMDG 777…hopefully that developer ups their game on the continually promised release for P3D v5.

My two “wish-list” items for this model, at the moment;  CS still have not simulated a winds aloft (import) feature for their FMC (unless you don’t mind old school manual input) and I do miss the cockpit “ground roll” effects others have implemented (not a big deal if you already have A2A's Accu-Feel)..

The cockpit lighting is pretty good, IMO, better than the PMDG 747 (of course, nothing comes close to the lighting standard set by FSLabs). I also like the simplicity of the cabin lighting on this aircraft.

I haven’t yet encountered any of the “quirks” of the CS757…namely unpredictable throttle issues. This is not the same plane! The flight dynamics seem to have much more of a lumbering grace than the “rocket ship” RR equipped ’57.

From a repainter’s perspective, I also really like the approach CS has used on this model to “blank windows” for different livery options (unfortunately not required for this repaint).

I thought I would put together a simple repaint of a now defunct airline (Zoom Airlines). This particular livery was in existence for only a short period…from January of 2006 through August of 2008. Unfortunately, Zoom Airlines primarily catered to the “holiday-maker” market…and their business model, relying on flyer’s disposable income, could not weather the financial crash late in that decade, going out of business in 2008.

Although I never flew with this company, I really enjoy this livery…it is both simple and bold (and really stands out with PBR treatment of the new CS767 II).

This particular airframe was purchased new by KLM in 1995 and operated by them for 10 years prior to coming into service for Zoom Airlines (as C-GZNC).

Between 2009 and 2015, this airframe was flown by LOT Polish Airlines (SP-LPG), Caribbean Airlines (winter lease from LOT), Kharkiv Airlines (UR-CLT) and Caspiy (seasonal lease from Kharkiv) before being retired from commercial passenger service.

In 2015, the aircraft completed a Bedek freighter (767-300 BDSF) conversion and since that time has returned to Canada flying under the Cargojet banner (as C-GCIJ).

When the CS 767 freighter variant is released, I’ll probably do a Cargojet repaint to “complete the circle” on this particular airframe.

Sadly, more airlines every year are retiring their B767 passenger fleets in favor of more fuel efficient B787’s and A350’s. The Canadian carriers (Westjet, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge) have all retired their B767 passenger aircraft this past year due to demand. (Although Air Canada has recently announced entry into the “cargo only” market next year with converted B767’s.)

Fortunately, the B767 series still has a long life ahead in the freighter market…and at this time, Boeing still has not created a cargo conversion for the B777 variant which is also reaching “end of life” for those passenger models, cementing the viability for used B767’s into the future.

Hope you enjoy the photos and the brief history of this particular B763!

s3A3rFh.jpg

LEVqDId.jpg

cPUNJnO.jpg

bN6DpLq.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Nice story...Zoom what a nice livery...and yes Level-D 767 was an amazing aircraft...i don't what guy of Level-D team do right now?

thanks for sharing

Phil Tremblay

• Like 1

Agree with your sentiments re the B767, Level-D and the Captain Sim version now available.  I enjoyed flying this model mostly in Australia on Qantas routes between the east coast capitals, and especially loved the Disney/Pixar Planes livery!  I have reproduced that livery recently for the sake of nostalgia!  (When I next load P3D I may get a screen shot and post it!)  I also flew coast to coast in the USA when the -300ER was new to the airlines - possibly one of the most relaxing flights I've done!

• Like 1

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

6 hours ago, rmeier said:

and at this time, Boeing still has not created a cargo conversion for the B777 variant which is also reaching “end of life” for those passenger models,

Boeing may not have, but there are other sources.. GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS)

https://www.aircargonews.net/freighters-world/kalitta-air-to-become-first-operator-of-converted-b777-freighter/#:~:text=Kalitta Air will become the,to be delivered in 2023.

Looks good in Kalitta Air livery! :cool:

6 hours ago, rmeier said:

The flight dynamics seem to have much more of a lumbering grace than the “rocket ship” RR equipped ’57.

IRL - the 757 is more of a hot rod compared to the 767. Did CS go over the top and make their 757 ridiculously overpowered? Just curious as the only 757 in my virtual hangar is the Freemium one from Just Flight.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thank you for the feedback/comments!

Phil...I personally think the team (???) at LDS just faded away. There was a promise of a B757 that never materialized. Unfortunately, that aircraft would require a total rebuild from scratch. The last time I flew that model (in 32 bit P3D) the cockpit was looking "tired" with a lack of 3D effects. There were also rumors that the late Eric Ernst had considerable regret (for his part in developing the PIC767/LDS767) following the tragic results of 9/11.

Brian...yeah, I think I bought the CS767 for nostalgia...as mentioned...I really enjoyed that plane in real life for long haul (back when aircraft had actual leg room and full course meals were served with real cutlery!). I am enjoying the CS767II.

Mark...thank you for the link on the B777 freighter conversion...I hadn't seen that one/wasn't aware that progress had been made on this conversion. In my personal opinion...I think the B777F makes a better (financially) option to the B747F, specifically range/payload. I suspect Boeing have been dragging their feet because they want to sell their new B777F's rather than convert older airframes. Between 2000 - 2003 I made many, many cross Atlantic flights on the B777 (both Delta and Air France). My fondest memory of that aircraft was deplaning in a rainy Gatwick. We were parked at a stand (not a gate). While walking down the stairs, I looked over to see the port engine...the sheer size of those jets that close up is an amazing sight...awesome!

Regarding the CS757, I like the plane...but I won't say it's a "go-to". Even with the recent release (I think v1.7), it still has a few quirks. I only flew the real life B757 a few times on Delta. I remember that aircraft having a steep climb (of course that was a short flight from Atlanta to Dayton, and no doubt somewhat light) and a considerable nose down profile on decent...both captured in the CS757 model. As you mentioned, Pilots have described the RR equipped B757 as a hot rod. The flight dynamics between the two aircraft (CS757III and CS767II) are different.

Edited by rmeier
  • Like 1

Agree with your sentiments re the B767, Level-D and the Captain Sim version now available.  I enjoyed flying this model mostly in Australia on Qantas routes between the east coast capitals, and especially loved the Disney/Pixar Planes livery!  I have reproduced that livery recently for the sake of nostalgia!  (When I next load P3D I may get a screen shot and post it!)  I also flew coast to coast in the USA when the -300ER was new to the airlines - possibly one of the most relaxing flights I've done!  

UPDATE:  Here is the screen shot of my Qantas Disney/Pixar Planes livery ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqegqu505tha944/B767QantasDisneyPlanes.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

Brian...that is an awesome repaint...well done! Is it published?

Happy New Year to you!

Excellent report on the 767, Thanks..!!

I've flown Air Canada only once, and that was on their B767....years ago, out of Toronto to Quebec City (or Montreal)...I forget...it was an unexpected substitution for the short leg, but, I enjoyed it, the plane was on an (onward) transatlantic flight, I recall...

Regarding CS, I have had their 757s/767s since release...In fact, I recall, I was even making a bit of "noise" in their Forums...🙂....when these were being released/updated...imagine that, a "non-pilot" making "noise"...🙂...those were the days...yes, I do recall 757 Thrust/Power issues being debated there...Have not been there for a decade now, except a couple of times...But, I do like and fly these two planes. (Recently, during last month or two, I got their 727-200/F and 737-200Adv Expansions...like them a lot too...)

Good luck with your (new) Repaints...🙂...!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rmeier said:

Brian...that is an awesome repaint...well done! Is it published?

Happy New Year to you!

No I've not published it - I painted it mainly for personal use and the nostalgic value.  But send me a DM if you would like a copy of the livery and I can set it up in DropBox for you to download.

Happy New Year to you and all the readers out there!  It was a very subdued (COVID) Sydney Fireworks Display last night, and absent of any crowds around the harbour and foreshores - quite spectacular, but just not the same as usual, for obvious reasons. Having said that, our problems with COVID are incredibly minor comparted with Europe, UK or USA!  Here our governments get anxious if we have more than ten cases of local transmission per day!!

18 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Excellent report on the 767, Thanks..!!

I've flown Air Canada only once, and that was on their B767....years ago, out of Toronto to Quebec City (or Montreal)...I forget...it was an unexpected substitution for the short leg, but, I enjoyed it, the plane was on an (onward) transatlantic flight, I recall...

Regarding CS, I have had their 757s/767s since release...In fact, I recall, I was even making a bit of "noise" in their Forums...🙂....when these were being released/updated...imagine that, a "non-pilot" making "noise"...🙂...those were the days...yes, I do recall 757 Thrust/Power issues being debated there...Have not been there for a decade now, except a couple of times...But, I do like and fly these two planes. (Recently, during last month or two, I got their 727-200/F and 737-200Adv Expansions...like them a lot too...)

Good luck with your (new) Repaints...🙂...!!

I remember the Air Canada flights between Toronto and Montreal were like a "milk run"...if I recall, they ran every other hour (typically the A320) and hourly during the peak flight periods (morning and after work). It was fairly common for equipment substitutions (the B767 and the A340) during the peak periods.

I made several of those "morning out - evening return" flights back in those days!

Thank you for the feedback!

Nice shots!  I spent many a flight on Air Canada 767's...love that Zoom livery.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Great screenshot and story!  I loved Zoom airlines.  Now I'm reconsidering the CS 767 II purchase, or lack there of... yet.  I am still living in hope that Level-D will rise from the ashes or that PMDG will make a 767.🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Dan

• Like 1

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

I think I need to join a support group for those of us who keep purchasing CS software...I couldn't help myself and picked up the B767F variant...yup, the one without the working main cargo door nor correct GE soundset.

While I was out giving money to charity, I also picked up the latest GE B767 soundset from TSS.

As mentioned a year ago when I started this thread and made the above Zoom Airlines repaint, that if I ever picked up the freighter, I would make the corresponding Cargojet Freighter...which is actually the same airframe (a Bedek BDSF conversion) as the real world Zoom Airlines reg C-GZNC. So here is my work in progress C-GCIJ freighter.

I have one last job to finish up on creating a "brake dust" look for the rear wheels/tires...I found the file to alter the center hubs but haven't yet found the outer ring/center cap in the original textures. The search shall continue.

Steve Drabek's latest images for his "barrage" of awesome iFly B737 repaints inspired me to do a little tweaking on the engine cowls as well as the door sills, which in the CS paintkit didn't look all that great. Hope the attached photos capture the improvements. I couldn't find any really good photos of the real world flap fairings...they seem to have an interesting paint/safety markings on their tips. I've tried to improvise with this repaint.

Anyway...I thought I'd share some photos of my latest misuse of funds!

(ps: I do have to say that the plane actually flies really well and looks great in exterior views. Just too dam bad CS never created a working main cargo door! I admit I am reliving my LDS 767 flights from many moons ago! Flows in the VC just seems second nature with this aircraft. I also went back and made my Zoom Airlines livery a correct GE variant now as well. If there is any saving grace to this purchase, at least the real world Delta Airlines plans to continue to fly their GE 767 Pax variants into 2025 to satisfy my real life make-believe sim experience!

hD2e56V.jpg

5KsJEMm.jpg

c75imzI.jpg

I just put two and two together while browsing the CS 767 forum.  Hehe...you have the same forum name over there and I just read your post to the new 767 "Freighter" customer who was puzzled as to why the cargo door on his shiny new $100+ freighter didn't open.  Needless to say, and not wanting to open that can of worms....I had aspirations of possibly buying and painting the 767 (its one of my favorite airframes), but was holding off any decision until they decided how they would handle "The Freighter".  We both know how they did, and because of that, I added my final comments on the "Liveries" thread over there.  

This is what I was referring to in another thread here at Avsim where I eluded to painters that may not take a project from a certain dev if the the model is bad, the texture mapping is horrible, they're too busy, etc.  Well in this case, none of those were the reason here, it was based solely on this Dev's handling of the "Freighter Story"...in fact they even have a post in their forums with that exact title, trying to justify their decision to the Simmers who bought the "Base package" who were really only interested in getting the Freighter later on.  Its a good read for anyone curious of how they came to their decision. 🙄

@Rafal you know I painted 21 liveries for another Dev in the past, before they did some morally questionable things, hence my sudden absence over there in case that wasn't clear. 😉   

18 hours ago, rmeier said:

I think I need to join a support group for those of us who keep purchasing CS software

Yes...seek counseling. 😂 (see....you KNOW that is a good natured rib and not intended offend you) 🙂  I was so close to buying this as its my favorite airframe, but was holding out, and have learned from painful experience with this Dev that impulse purchases from them are as dangerous as being in a high-end retail store (Hermes, Lou Batton (hehe), Fendi, Prada) in San Francisco! 🤣

Speaking of seeking counseling...I was advised to do the same when I get into these painting frenzies, LOL....For example....painted CargoJet on the Vistaliners 727...uhhh...back in...uhhh...2004, when almost the entire plane fit on a 1024x1024 map....

i3zdqJ.png

Along with a dozen or so more 727's "back in the day".

I loved the Gimli Glider story as well, and LOVE the classic AC paint... tried my best to do her justice on the iFly 747 a few years back....

c7yB7z.jpg

LOVE....LOVE this livery...was OK with the mint toothpaste livery, but this one....just screams classic airliner paint scheme back in the 747's heydays. (The horrible texturing you see on the red in the screenshot is due to bad jpeg compression...I'd be shunned as a painters if my livery looked like that in the sim, LOL)

Spent a lot of time adding dirt and weather to the tail...

0ohtEs.jpg

18 hours ago, rmeier said:

Steve Drabek's latest images for his "barrage" of awesome iFly B737 repaints

Hehe....yeah...I need to seek counseling. 🙂  This WIP will make number 15 (and counting)

dTziMZ.png

I think this surpassed the "barrage" of paints I did for iFly when the 747BCF released.  Yeah....I only painted 10 of those...LOL
http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/ifly-747400cf-liveries-released_topic17287.html

EDIT: Noticed the shiny engine intakes....very nice! 🙂  Glad I could be an inspiration to pick up the brush again. 

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg