Sign in to follow this  
Kapenagary

Duel or single Video Card?

I am ordering a Dell Alienware R11 but I don't know which is best -- a duel NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 or a  NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X.  The computer will be used only for Flight Simulator 2020. This topic is out of my league so  I would appreciate any suggestions as to which card I should order.

Thank you,

Gary Schmidt

Your solution is actually very simple and amazingly inexpensive.... Just get yourself a Series X Console, and be done with it! 

It is far and away the best-value solution. 

And a relatively inexpensive experiment to try if you are at all apprehensive about the performance outcome. 

And don't be taken in by usual PC sales-spiel that the console will soon be outdated, and that you will then have the further expense of having to upgrade again. 

So what! 

This is an even bigger - and much more expensive exercise - in the PC world. 

More importantly, graphics hardware and PC /Console chips have entered a period of exciting and (literally) game-changing development now.  No matter what you buy now, in 2 - 3 years time, you will be salivating at improvements these "new developments" will bring to the "latest and greatest that you buy today" (note: this hasn't been the case in the last few years where, until recently, graphics development has moved at a more incremental, if not pedestrian, pace).

It will be easy to resell your console at a good price and recover your money, and then go on and empty your wallet to your heart's desire on an expensive PC and graphics card(s) if the console experience turned out to be underwhelming for you. 

If you are someone who ALSO needs a PC for other heavy lifting work (video editing, CAD, or Animation), then a Console will not be the solution, and you will have to look at a PC. 

But for anyone else in the OP's particular position, the Series X console is hands down the best (and also best-value 😊) solution! 

I have the Aurora R11 with a 3090 and this sim flows like a hot knife through butter with everything maxxed full tilt. The 30xx card will be your better bet. Remember, you can always add another 30xx card later in SLI when the prices come down. Just be sure you get the 1000W power supply. This is a 375W video card!

A higher end GPU will benefit from a higher end CPU and the faster Hyper-X RAM as well. No point in putting a 357 in a 78' Datsun unless you have a thing for clown cars.

Edited by DAL1850

AFAIK this game does not even support SLI properly yet, that is a feature that may come in with DX12.

Basically the game will take far more advantage of the single 3080.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAL1850 said:

This is a 375W video card!

A higher end GPU will benefit from a higher end CPU and the faster Hyper-X RAM as well. No point in putting a 357 in a 78' Datsun unless you have a thing for clown cars.

Geeze, that thing uses more watts than my projector!

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

24 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Geeze, that thing uses more watts than my projector!

That is the stock FE wattage. Some AIB cards use more and that is without the user overclocking.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-may-have-a-350-W-TDP-but-it-can-consume-nearly-60-more.494757.0.html

The 3080 or better still the 3090 so you are ready when dx12 comes.  SLI is not supported in the current state, and who knows if they will support it when dx12 is implemented.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

A single more powerful card is always better than two less powerful GPU's. However if you planning on using a 4k monitor or going VR you might be better off either getting a 3090 or a 6000 series GPU for the higher Vram on them cards but the best thing might be to hold off for a 3080TI.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Dual gpu configs are a thing of the past which have no real application anymore in videogames i think

• Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Kapenagary said:

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I'll go with a 3080 or 3090.

Thanks again,

Gary

Be sure to check for discount codes. Get the fastest 32GB of RAM you can as well.

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Just be aware that only 3090 can be SLI'ed, the others can not. 

And I would definatley go for a single powerful card and not two less powerful ones.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Duel, or single video card eh?

Okay, if it's a choice between the two, I'll have a duel.

I suggest pistols at dawn. 😉

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

SLI is a dead end street, don't go there.

• Upvote 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR