Sign in to follow this  

2 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

I am hallucinating about the new Noctua passive CPU cooler, but with two 14cm fans added. I am fantasizing that a passive CPU cooler forms a solid base and becomes a beast with the two fans.

That's a good point. Its said to be very impressive in passive mode. The difference between one fan and two is usually just two degrees, because the velocity of the air is the same, but static pressure does increase slightly. So most of the benefit will be from the addition of the first fan. When released, you are right, it will be interesting to see what it can do. Noctua have been working on it for quite a while. 

The new guy is supposed to be 180 watts with a "quiet" fan. 

Edited by martin-w

On 1/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, martin-w said:

What interests me is the new Intel TEC coolers. Currently very expensive, from Coolermaster or EK. Intel have said that its just the first bash and will be developed further, so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Me too.  It is expensive technology right now, but if it pans out and gains popularity, other cooler manufacturers will jump in and competition will drive down the price.  That is, unless they all decide to use the sales strategy of Nvidia.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Been a fan (pun intended) of air coolers since AIO first hit the scene.  Got a Hyper 212 when it first released for my i7 860 build back in 2009; that was before that cooler when viral.  My now retired i7 4770k had a Thermalright Silver Arrow, and now a I got a NH15S for my 10700k.  Only reason I didn't use the Silver Arrow was it wouldn't fit in the case I got (too tall).  Any AIO cooler for my new build either would have either been noisier, or its radiator wouldn't fit my case.  As for the ultimate "what is best", that's clearly up to who's buying it.  I could probably hit a higher overclock with a high end AIO but also at the cost of higher price and voltage, which IMO regardless of cooling still degrades the processor quicker.

Yeah, those TEC coolers are intriguing.  Definitely got my eye on how that tech matures.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

11 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Been a fan (pun intended) of air coolers since AIO first hit the scene.  Got a Hyper 212 when it first released for my i7 860 build back in 2009; that was before that cooler when viral.  My now retired i7 4770k had a Thermalright Silver Arrow, and now a I got a NH15S for my 10700k.  Only reason I didn't use the Silver Arrow was it wouldn't fit in the case I got (too tall).  Any AIO cooler for my new build either would have either been noisier, or its radiator wouldn't fit my case.  As for the ultimate "what is best", that's clearly up to who's buying it.  I could probably hit a higher overclock with a high end AIO but also at the cost of higher price and voltage, which IMO regardless of cooling still degrades the processor quicker.

Yeah, those TEC coolers are intriguing.  Definitely got my eye on how that tech matures.

I've had an NH-D14, now in my son's computer, a D15, a D15S. And in the past a few Thermalright coolers. Only ever opted for an AIO once, that was for my daughters Mini ITX build, purely because it was tricky finding an air cooler that would fit. Recall it was a Corsair H100i. Not a bad cooler, but even at half pump speed you could hear it. It was on her desk though, so may have been resonating. 

Given that air coolers aren't really AIR coolers any more than an AIO or custom loop, as they all pass AIR across either at heat sink or a radiator, and are actually phase change coolers, heat pipe coolers... I'm wondering if the heat pipe technology has gone as far as it can, or if it's possible to improve CPU cooling even further with more advanced heat pipe technology. 

Satellites in orbit use heat pipe technology to keep them cool. 

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/heat_pipes.html#:~:text=In satellites used for communications,the overall systems operating reliably.&text=A portion of the liquid,heat from the hot surface.

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

Whoa, that cool!   Thanks (sorry, couldn't resist 😄

A while back I remember reading about a someone who was trying to fit a heat-pipe cooler that was too tall for this case.  So to make it fit, he clipped off the tips of the heat pipes...oops.  Needless to say, that guy was "uninformed" (putting it politely) and ended up with cooler no longer cooled enough to be effective.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I use custom watercooling since about 10 years and I'm happy. 

For sure in the beginning I made a lot of mistakes but now I like it. 

I have a Ryzen 9 5950X @4,8 Ghz with 16 Cores  and a RX6900 XT Watercooled @2700 Mhz running for P3D. 

My water has 30 Degrees Celcius while I`m flying and the CPU is staying at 55 Degrees and GPU HotSpot MAX is at 44 Degrees acording to HWInfo.  And that's currently after 2 hours in the air with FSLabs A320 from KBOS to KFLL with ORBX LC US and True Earth Florida.

No way I could achieve this temperatures with Air.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

54 minutes ago, 331BK said:

I use custom watercooling since about 10 years and I'm happy. 

Custom loop, yes. we were referring to an AIO. 

No way I could achieve this temperatures with Air.

Indeed, custom loops are the best for cooling. But as I say, we were comparing an AIO to air. 

🙂 sorry, so they topic name is misleading 🙂  Don`t water cool 😉

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

9 hours ago, 331BK said:

🙂 sorry, so they topic name is misleading 🙂  Don`t water cool 😉

It wouldnt be misleading if you had bothered to watch the video the title relates to. Its always a good idea to read (or watch) the content of the first post, so you know what the topic is about. We know custom loops are superiour performers. Nobody has suggested otherwise.

Some in this thread brought up the subject of custom loops and the consensus is clear, customs loops are superiour to air or AIO"s, if you don't mind the cost and maintainance.

But as I said, the video posted wasn't comparing custom loops, it was just  AIO or air.

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

I watched that earlier actually. Slightly warmer than the Noctua but cheaper. I've not been too fond of the Scythe coolers since the socket crushing issue of a few years ago, when the mounting pressure was high and no spring  mounting system. They have addressed that these days, but not really a manufacturer that appeals to me regarding quality. 

I'm running my 10850K at 5Ghz right now with a EVO212 on it. Package temperatures have been 48-55C running P3D. It's still new, so I'm just poking the beast a little before I whack it over the head. I took a pot shot on the voltages and I've been lowering them bit by bit to to see where the floor is on 5Ghz so I know how far above baseline I'm going later on when I really start to overclock it.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:49 PM, MDFlier said:

I'm running my 10850K at 5Ghz right now with a EVO212 on it. Package temperatures have been 48-55C running P3D. It's still new, so I'm just poking the beast a little before I whack it over the head. I took a pot shot on the voltages and I've been lowering them bit by bit to to see where the floor is on 5Ghz so I know how far above baseline I'm going later on when I really start to overclock it.

Actually that's a very good temp for a 212 Evo.

Is that on all cores though? You do realise your CPU Turbo Boosts to 5.2 GHz anyway. But not all all cores of course. 

Ambient temp is worth knowing too. 🙂 

Edited by martin-w