Sign in to follow this  
EasternT3

Looking into XPlane 11

Hi All,

I have P3D and MSFS but am looking into XPlane as well.

Firstly is it worth it?

Secondly what planes are worth investing in, I’m looking for total realism, I’ve heard the Zibo 737, FlyJsim 727 and 737-200, IXEG 737 Classics, FF757, Tollis A3xx and iniBuilds A300 and future A310 are the planes to get, am I missing any?

Lastly, what other addons are recommend? I like active sky and better push back. Any others?

Thank you

Considering the question about X-Plane, try the demo:

https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

I love the Toliss A319, bdon't ( yet ) have their A321 NEO.

XP11 is a great flight simulator, easy to keep and update, running now very well in it's new Vulkan mode.

X-Plane has a huge and excellent community of users and developers.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I use MSFS, FSX and as of a couple of months ago - X-plane. I personally am loving X-plane for the following reasons:

* Availability of payware add-ons not on other platforms

* High performance on my computer compared with MSFS 2020 & FSX

If there are airliner add-ons you want to use, I would say it's absolutely worth it. In terms of recommendations, I would also add the Flight Factor A350 - it might not be as high quality as their 757/767 but with the latest updates it is good enough and a unique experience for X-plane. Personally, I have not invested in an A320 family add-on for X-plane because I am trying to use MSFS with the FlyByWire aircraft for this since MSFS 2020 scenery and that immersion factor (that is hard to define) is much higher in MSFS 2020 than any other platform in my opinion. In practice though I'm finding it frustrating because of all the MSFS 2020 updates breaking the sim and issues I have with FlyByWire A320 (and default A320) such as rocking violently on autopilot or uncommanded inputs on short final. Still, I'm hoping it will get better. 

Thank you for the suggestions. The airliners are a big draw to the sim and are making me want to press buy.

The things stopping me are having to duplicate buying sceneries (buying orbx products for both msfs and xplane)

I’m also thinking, should Aerosoft show the CRJ to be a success in MSFS will developers for xplane bring addons to MSFS as well, as it’ll potentially be financially worth it or will other developers develop the xplane aircraft for MSFS

32 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

I’m also thinking, should Aerosoft show the CRJ to be a success in MSFS will developers for xplane bring addons to MSFS as well, as it’ll potentially be financially worth it or will other developers develop the xplane aircraft for MSFS

You could also hold on to your money another 10 - 15 years. I have a feeling that technology will be much further along then and you would regret spending all that money on scenery and aircraft for MSFS and/or X-Plane then!

Better safe than sorry, I say! 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Janov said:

You could also hold on to your money another 10 - 15 years. I have a feeling that technology will be much further along then and you would regret spending all that money on scenery and aircraft for MSFS and/or X-Plane then!

Better safe than sorry, I say! 😉

Haha that’s a different way of looking at it 😂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. The airliners are a big draw to the sim and are making me want to press buy.

The things stopping me are having to duplicate buying sceneries (buying orbx products for both msfs and xplane)

I guess the two things I'd say on this point are the default X-plane scenery for most airports I have been to on various continents is ok/fine so I don't feel the need to splash on sceneries. Additionally, I personally don't think it's worth waiting 1-2+ years for more and more MSFS add-ons. If I can get 12 months of good use out of X-plane and these add-ons (and I predict I will) it's worth it for me. 

Another thing I would like to add:

When (if) you get X-plane...don´t immediately overload it with add-ons and extras. It is - in my opinion - perfectly fine to just fly around for a few days with the "vanilla" unmodded simulator. The default aircraft fly well and are quite detailed, the default weather and scenery do the job and the default airports are accurate and quite pleasing, I think.

You won´t really be able to appreciate the upgrades those add-ons bring unless you get to know the basic simulator. Get a feel for that one first before making choices regarding those.

If visuals are of paramount importance to you - make sure you get the demo first. After having used MSFS X-Plane 11 may be looking a bit ...bland 😉

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2

The IXEG 737 is the most immersive aircraft I have ever used, including those found in P3D.  I highly recommend it.  Close behind are the FSJ 737 (I use this with the CIVA) and although a bit older the LES Saab holds up very well despite it’s age.

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Ive being flying the SSG Ev0 170, finally sat down and learning to fly it , really nice plane.

5 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

You can follow Jan's advice and spend $0 on add-ons for some time... but if you're into airliners I'd definitely recommend you give Zibo's 737 a go. 

To me, it's one of the most enjoyable aircraft all around: immersive sounds, great systems,  nice flight model... and you can't beat its price: free!.

In all honesty, I enjoy it even more than PMDG's NGXu for P3Dv5.

If you're ready to spend some money, you can't go wrong with IXEG's 737 and with iniBuild's A300. Both are GREAT.

On the GA side: the TBM is phenomenal, the Airfoilabs KingAir 350 is really good, and Thranda's Kodiac, Beaver and Pilatus Porter are fantastic add-ons. 

I have MSFS, P3D and X-Plane and enjoy the three of them (well... mostly the latter two, but I don't want to start a brawl here ;-))

• Like 2

Enrique Vaamonde

I switched out of XP to make way for MSFS but am considering giving it another look.

Lot of excellent freeware there.

I recall when I initially set it up that there was an issue with a faint brown tin to sceneries, & I think one of the payware? add ons had a tick box to remove that tint.

Has the tint issue been resolved & if not can anyone recall the product that allowed it to be removed? I think it was possibly a shaders or environment appearance product.

T45