Sign in to follow this  
Piemon

New to the forum. Looking for PC help

Hi all, 

I’m just looking at getting a used computer. I have FSX and PMDG 737 ngx. I’m not looking to upgrade to the new MSFS2020 with this computer. 
The question is will these specifications on the computer run pmdg ok?

GPU i7 - 2600 @3.4 ghz

CPU - nvidia ge force GT730

8gb ram

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Welcome to Avsim!  I'm going to say that your computer is on the weak side, especially the video card. 

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Welcome to AVSIM. I have serious doubts that the mentioned PC will run PMDG aircraft. They put a substantial load on the CPU and GPU. You should probably consider a much stronger system.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Welcome to Avsim. 🙂

You may find that the iFly 737 NG, which is more or less on par with the PMDG 737 NG, but less taxing on your PC, will run okay on that computer, although as others have suggested, it'd probably be better to go for a computer with just a little bit better specs, which I daresay you can probably find for a similar price if you look about.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi all. Hope it's ok I jump in here as a new member. I want to thank those responsible for this website and The Bargain Hunter's Shack in particular for alerting me the last time PMDG had a sale. At that time I bought the 747-400, my first and so far only payware product of any sort.

My laptop, about 4 years old, is an Acer with i5-7300HQ 2.5GHz, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM. I'm running FSX SE. It all works totally fine, except when recording the screen. Or occasionally while landing at some US airports with good default scenery, frame rates get very low. Scenery settings are maxed out.

My plan is to purchase P3D as soon as the PMDG 777 is officially updated to version 5, and then at the same time also buy that 777 to fly it in P3D. But I'm pretty sure I'll either need a new gaming laptop, or a proper desktop at that point. For now though, I'm very happy with my 747.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

Hi all. Hope it's ok I jump in here as a new member. I want to thank those responsible for this website and The Bargain Hunter's Shack in particular for alerting me the last time PMDG had a sale. At that time I bought the 747-400, my first and so far only payware product of any sort.

My laptop, about 4 years old, is an Acer with i5-7300HQ 2.5GHz, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM. I'm running FSX SE. It all works totally fine, except when recording the screen. Or occasionally while landing at some US airports with good default scenery, frame rates get very low. Scenery settings are maxed out.

My plan is to purchase P3D as soon as the PMDG 777 is officially updated to version 5, and then at the same time also buy that 777 to fly it in P3D. But I'm pretty sure I'll either need a new gaming laptop, or a proper desktop at that point. For now though, I'm very happy with my 747.

Another new member!  Welcome to Avsim.

There again, CPU and video card are too weak for best performance.  Maximum scenery settings are not helping. 

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hello Everyone -  Newbie here to the site.  I am having a problem with P2ATC with AI Traffic not being visible on the Map Mode using X-Plane 11 Ver 5.1.  I read in the manual that AI can be visible or hidden?  If I had hit a key that made these AI's disappear...how do I get them visible again?  Or, Is my set-up wrong?

@GEBsr there is a dedicated Pilot2ATC forum for your question......https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/713-pilot2atc-users-forum/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Welcome to Avsim.

To the two new members that posted their specs.

It depends on what you want to get out of the sim. One one hand, there really never has been any such thing as a powerful enough computer. Those of us who have been involved with the sim for any length of time, have succumbed to that endless quest for a computer that will run whatever version of the sim is out there. I run default FSX on a laptop with less oomph than yours. I also run it on a nicer computer. The laptop dose fine with higher than you would think settings. 

The important thing is to go for it and have fun.

• Like 2

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I will also add to what bobbyjack said and say that there is no such thing as a "future proof" computer.  Hardware is constantly advancing as are sims and games.

• Like 1

Update: Thanks for all your replies guys. I suddenly felt gung ho and got P3D V5 and the QW 787 for my laptop. I figured I could run them at really low settings for a while, and then use them on my new hardware when I get it. The default Lockheed Constellation actually worked very well. Great frame rates, and seemed like I could keep going up on the settings. But generally I was getting insufficient memory warnings, and I couldn't get the 787 to work for more than a couple of minutes at a time because of this. I could have gotten P3D V4, and it probably would have worked.

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 2 GB GDDR5 dedicated VRAM was likely the crux. I very much appreciate both P3D and Flight1, no hassles, returned the products for now and will at some point get better hardware, and then go back to them in the future. Whether with cars, shoes etc. I'm a use it til its beyond repair kind of person, so computers too. FSX Steam is running mostly fine at the maximum settings, just like I mentioned though, at some high density airports or while recording the screen frame rates get low.

I just got the PMDG 777-200LR for FSX. It's perfect for me. I like to spend an hour or so planning a long flight and doing the departure. Then I leave the flight running in the background while I do other things. I'll check in occasionally, also using the FsMovMap2 app on my phone to see that winds, altitude, progress etc. are looking good. All in real time, but of course I use the auto step climbs and pause at TOD features. Now I can go between any two airports nonstop, just my cup of tea. I'm very happy. The graphics aren't that important to me, quite realistic upper level winds and aircraft performance, fuel consumption are my priorities.

• Like 1