Sign in to follow this  
MarkyB

Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel not picked up

Hi, Throttle unboxed and plugged in alongside my Alpha Yoke, a nice late 2020 present!  I've tried initially to set it up using Lorby's Axis and Ohs mostly successfully but not the trim wheel, it just spins without effect.  I have FSUIPC also and it does not seem to work, all other axis seem ok.  Also no sign of life in controller settings in P3D itself.  Is there something I need to do first to bring it to life?  Regards, Mark

2 hours ago, MarkyB said:

Hi, Throttle unboxed and plugged in alongside my Alpha Yoke, a nice late 2020 present!  I've tried initially to set it up using Lorby's Axis and Ohs mostly successfully but not the trim wheel, it just spins without effect.  I have FSUIPC also and it does not seem to work, all other axis seem ok.  Also no sign of life in controller settings in P3D itself.  Is there something I need to do first to bring it to life?  Regards, Mark

It's not an analogue axis, it's a rotary encoder. That means it shows up as two button clicks.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

On 12/31/2020 at 3:39 PM, MarkDH said:

It's not an analogue axis, it's a rotary encoder. That means it shows up as two button clicks.

Would you better explain this and the steps to take?  I also am seeing no effect from the trim wheel and I have no idea about the two button clicks....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

29 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Would you better explain this and the steps to take?  I also am seeing no effect from the trim wheel and I have no idea about the two button clicks....

If you run the Windows Game Controller settings app you will find that buttons 22 and 23 are pulsed as you spin the trim wheel backwards and forwards. Hence to control the elevator trim you need to map the trim-up and trim-down functions to these button-click events in your sim.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

If you run the Windows Game Controller settings app you will find that buttons 22 and 23 are pulsed as you spin the trim wheel backwards and forwards. Hence to control the elevator trim you need to map the trim-up and trim-down functions to these button-click events in your sim.

Got it working.  I believe I installed the Honeycomb config tool with the sim running.  Shut down, rebooted, and no issues...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

My problem is that I mapped to buttons 22 and 23 as you stated but when I try to use the trim it deactivates (turns off) the auto pilot.

2 hours ago, kpop1364 said:

My problem is that I mapped to buttons 22 and 23 as you stated but when I try to use the trim it deactivates (turns off) the auto pilot.

Wouldn't that be logical? The autopilot uses trim to control pitch, so when you are overrulling by setting trim manually it might be considered you want the AP off.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Make perfect sense. The lightest touch turns it off. It’s hard not to accidentally touch it. Thanks for your input. 

I discovered that the elevator trim in my fs2020 moves slightly back and forth with both the 4 button set of the Alpha or with the Bravo (buttons 22 & 23) wheel, but their slight movement is like a rubber band: you release and the trim returns to neutral, hence the trim is useless!
regards!!

1 hour ago, CaptainRafael said:

I discovered that the elevator trim in my fs2020 moves slightly back and forth with both the 4 button set of the Alpha or with the Bravo (buttons 22 & 23) wheel, but their slight movement is like a rubber band: you release and the trim returns to neutral, hence the trim is useless!
regards!!

This sounds like you have an AXIS somewhere tied to trim and it is causing it to move back to the middle....

I use both the Alpha and Bravo and the Trim works fine....

Les O'Reilly

Most autopilots use a servo in the control cables to the elevator and ailerons. NOT TRIM! The autopilot then resolves constant load on the servo with an electrical trim command. It is absolutely usual for a manual trim command to disengage the autopilot.  A bit annoying catching it by accident while answering the radio and having lunch on your lap.... ahem! 

• Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

1 hour ago, MarkJHarris said:

Most autopilots use a servo in the control cables to the elevator and ailerons. NOT TRIM! The autopilot then resolves constant load on the servo with an electrical trim command. It is absolutely usual for a manual trim command to disengage the autopilot.  A bit annoying catching it by accident while answering the radio and having lunch on your lap.... ahem! 

Dang dog bumping the trim wheel while im in the John. Crash o matic puppy. 🙂

• Like 1