Sign in to follow this  
anitelite

Live Weather working ?

14 hours ago, DylanC said:

When changing location, you need to restart the sim and proceed as above.

I posted this on another forum a while back.

Just make sure you never have live weather set from the world map screen and then you won't have to restart the sim when you change location.

If you just leave it on Preset & clear skies in the world map area and then spawn at your chosen location and select live weather from the dropdown toolbar you should get live weather.

Then, when you return to the main menu and the world map to select a new location, as long as your preset is still on clear skies you can just spawn at the new location and select live weather from the toolbar again.

No need to restart the sim.

• Like 1

Just did a flight using REX from KBUR to KFAT.  

Station nearest to aircraft doesn't work that great.  Over Tehachapi it reported nearest as KSBD.  At Fresno real WX was 3SM HZ and it showed clear and a million in the sim.  Altimeter and winds were pretty close.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

8 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Just did a flight using REX from KBUR to KFAT.  

Station nearest to aircraft doesn't work that great.  Over Tehachapi it reported nearest as KSBD.  At Fresno real WX was 3SM HZ and it showed clear and a million in the sim.  Altimeter and winds were pretty close.  

Typical 😞

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

KORD with Live weather (not REX or Unreal addons) about 38 minutes ago

1250410_20210101150625_1.png

1250410_20210101152426_1.png

Edited by Tuskin38

18 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

Live weather does seem to be hit or miss, but per comments in one of the Dev Q&As it is "intended" to incorporate METAR data near airports in addition to the predictive model for the rest of the world.

I flew across the entire US on the 26th, cloud cover seemed correct, winds in the parts of the country that are flat/low seemed correct.  Winds in the areas near the Rockies with higher terrain elevation seemed wrong, almost as if they have mixed up altitude 'above ground level' with 'above sea level'.  Several folks have noted the same in the past.

I've noticed clouds going all the way down to ground level pretty often since the last update, which also seems like it could be mixing up agl and above sea level? 

Live weather is still more often far off than close off for me. Im still getting three fairly different weathers - the actual metar, the msfs2020 metar, and the msfs2020 depiction. As far as I'm concerned, the msfs2020 metar should be the same as the real metar, and the depiction should be fairly close to it (though doesn't have to match exactly). Sometimes it's all sort of close, but more often than not it's different enough to even change the active runway, or as in my last flight, mostly cloudy with clouds to ground level when the real world metar said few at 3200.

• Upvote 2

Well, it doesn't get the snowpack levels correct, but it does have the general idea (partially). Just flew from near Fort Davis, TX to east of Alpine. No snow at all in the Davis mountains (which had over a foot yesterday), but the Glass mountains just east of Alpine were covered. Alpine had 12-14 inches around the city, but no snow directly was shown in sim, only hills and mountains to the east had snow.

Alpine area ItselfIarArR8.png

East of Alpine (about 10 miles from airport)
1zco0ca.png

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just to further double check snowpack accuracy, I then went to Big Bend and took off from the center where the highest snowfall totals were received (24") at Panther Junction...

No snow shown in the Sim 😞

So I'd say it had about 10% accuracy across the state for snowpack after the Texas blizzard, which was the heaviest snowfall in part of West Texas in about 30+ years. 90% of the area that should have been covered with snowpack was shown as having no snow in the sim, only a small area had snowpack in the sim.

FE-10C_TXsnow-1.jpg?w=632

This was an interesting test because I know none of these mountains have "trick snow" on them from the aerial imagery and this is a VERY VERY remote area. I'm sure the snowfall coverage works better in more populated areas where there are more predictions and updates from the data.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

Live weather for me has been GREAT. Flew into cold front today and yesterday Icing, Driving Rain, Gusty winds, Could not get into Yeager in Charleston WV yesterday tried again hour later made it in Minimums at 300 ft. Today Greenville SC to Knoxville Driving rain all the way ceiling at 2000Ft tops at FL190 made it in on Rnav Approach

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

KORD with Live weather (not REX or Unreal addons) about 38 minutes ago

1250410_20210101150625_1.png

1250410_20210101152426_1.png

I’ve been keeing an eye on Chicago snow accumulation in the sim. Virtually non existent. The snow fall accumulation is the only real issue I’m having with the weather. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

It does better with live conditions than with after-event snowpack.

Take off from Abilene, Sweetwater, or Fort Stockton. You will only see any snowpack at Fort Stockton (to the south), and I assume it is working the same for all of us (presumably).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

It was mentioned to me that clouds won't render in developer mode. I've never really used it so perhaps that's why I've never had weather issues?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Video I made today flight the CJ4 into real weather cold front KGSP Greenville SC to Knoxville RNAV IFR Approach

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecne1NRDOmM8TGKcjYaz3Q

regards

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Blat14 said:

No need to restart the sim.

I used your tip from the other thread and have had live weather in every flight since, and I might add, quite in line with the present weather in real life.

Its almost like a fresh request for updated weather is made right then and there and it gets injected!

Just tried with LIVE weather off, and turned it on once loaded for T/O. The weather is still not quite right. It is a close approximation, but does not match the METAR data at all which makes it hard to plan flights to minimums etc.  Pretty frustrating no matter how you look at it.

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.