Sign in to follow this  
Kgbow

Long Haulers!

Hey guys and gals. 

I've been loving the sim. I don't fly the default A320 as to be frank.... it's a mess. So with the flyby wire I've been enjoying a great simulation experience. Now for my question. I'd like to get into flying further afield with the 787 and the 747. What are those airliners like as of right now? Will I be able to fly for my VA without MAJOR bugs? I'd hate to have it set up only to mess up halfway through a really long flight. 

Also, dose anyone know why its taking so long for third party developers to produce the study level aircraft? I mean, I know I paid the full price for the premium deluxe and I know I should expect some level of study level but..... we all we've been fleeced there. 

103903.png

Put your helmet and flack jacket on.

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

I would do some test flights if I were you, to see if you can fly the thing to a reasonable level of satisfaction without crashing it. By that I mean, are there enough workarounds you can live with to get it from A to B without ploughing it into the ground?

Such glitches can be annoying obviously, but they reach a whole new level of annoyance and implication when you are flying something for your virtual company. I can recall the original glitchy Just Flight L-1011 ploughing into the ground on an Air Hauler flight when I completely lost the ability to control it and it turned into a pile of smoking wreckage destroying tons of cargo in the process, and that was just about the most expensive mistake it is possible to make for your virtual company! The lesson I learned there was to test fly anything before cheerfully 'buying it' for my virtual airline because I'm excited about a shiny new product.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I certainly would not fly them in their present state if you plan to use VATSIM or IVAO - there's too much danger of embarrassment when you can't follow the rapid-fire ATC orders, or the plane goes rogue and heads off in a random direction.

My long-haul solution is the Aerowinx 747, the most study-level aircraft (indeed, simulator) there is, with MSFS as the view out of the windscreen.

• Like 1

Petraeus

The 747-8I is pretty good. Definitely use the Salty 747 Mod.

Available here;

https://github.com/saltysimulations/salty-747/releases/tag/v0.2.1

Temp remove your A320FBW Mod when placing in the Community folder. There's a conflict between them that blanks the 747 FMC.

See here for some flight notes in general handling and FMC procedures.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/747-8-tips-tricks/300163

Worth trawling through the whole Thread there as there have been some recent significant changes and fantastic improvements in the 747 systems and handling.

I've flown the 747 on Vatsim several times now and if you're competent and confident in using the MCP in a slightly more improvised manner than usual you can easily do DIR TO, SPD Restrictions, ALT HOLDS, etc.

if you're a Child Of The Magenta Line then you'll struggle.

Welcome to Long Haul - where real pilots hang out.

We airliners simply have to wait another 1-2 years. It's a pity, but it's too early for msfs.

Haven't had any embarrassment with the 747 on VATSIM, yet. . .

I must have have flown over 1000 hours on VATSIM over the years as well as being a real world pilot so I'm pretty sure they're not making allowances for a newbie.

I could, of course be wrong. 

As I say - you need to be adaptable with the big stuff in MSFS right now on the Online Networks - that's one of the fundamental requirements of being a pilot.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

You know, this thread has made me inclined to try the 787 again to see if I can live with it. After all, I did stump up the extra cash for it, so it'd be nice if I could actually use it. Guess we'll see if that's a mistake eh? Will report back, last time I tried it, this was the result. I'm no expert on the 787, despite having worked on the real things a fair bit, but I'm fairly sure it's not supposed to do this 🤣

xxQJVzP.png

Alan Bradbury

It would be great if you found it was now OK. For me, it's the nicest cockpit to sit in with VR, but the last time I flew it, it sailed blithely through the altitude I had set in the glareshield panel, never mind the same restriction in the FMC LEGS page. That sets off all sorts of alarm on the controller's panel, and probably a label that says 'Plonker'.

Petraeus

The 747 and the 787 are just good to fly

let my say flyable.

I fly this Birds a lot and with a bit praktice

so you know the jerks i love to fly them.

For the 747 i use the Salty mod aswell

and you realy good to go IMO .

In the 747 and with using Salty you are able

to plan the flightplan with the FMC what nice to deal with and works fine for me .

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Chock said:

I'm no expert on the 787, despite having worked on the real things a fair bit, but I'm fairly sure it's not supposed to do this 🤣

Not unless it’s trying to star in the next episode of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation!

I haven’t  really flown either much yet, though it sounds like I should give the 747 with Salty mod a try.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Just remember chaps - temporarily remove the A320NX if you have it - from the Community folder when flying the 747 Salty mod. There are clashes between them only if they are in that folder at the same time.

Doing okay so far. EGCC to LEAM...

N31BOeO.png

4LO6Sxa.png

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

To be honest my longhaul solution is a slightly modded Citation Longitude. For me it's a good compromise in regards to realism. But with some little tweaks you get her the range of a Falcon or whatever without being too unrealistic.

So in the rare occasion i feel the need for a real longhaul i use my Longitude.

Edited by ThomseN_inc

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11