Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Anyone using DXTbmp?

Hello guys,

I'm looking for some advice here...i used to work with DXTbmp to convert textures and edit the alphachannels. But for some reason it doesn't work anymore as it wont open any texture files. The last one i worked on was  a texture file for a MSFS Prop and it worked like a charm.

Now a few weeks later i am not able to open the exact same (stock)texture anymore. 

Reinstalling DXTbmp didn't help.

Anyone having a clue what might be causing this?

Best regards,

Tom

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

DXTbmp does work with some msfs texture files - try the ***ALBD.PNG.DDS textures.

Forget about editing the alpha channels though - the standard albedo textures don't need them. on the other hand - the decals can use alphas: all black actually makes the decal transparent. Er, sometimes... And then, msfs also uses TIF compression on some of them, so you will need the ability to save as TIF. It's a mess still and I am having fun too. Then there's the "comp" textures - you edit those to change shine, reflection and surface - but these don't use alphas either - you edit the separate RGB channels for these. Yes - PITA

Another thing becomes noticeable if you have a thumbnail viewer codec in your Windowssoftware - when you look at some of the msfs textures they appear to be transparent and odd. That's because msfs does indeed use a different dds format to what you would have used in dxtBMP.

So while dxtBMP does work (for some msfs aircraft and most of the addons), Asobo has basically forced users to go the photoshop way and that means you can then save your dds images in the nVidia dds exporter plugin. You can also use GIMP to edit the images and export. There is a reasonably priced subscription for Photoshop at around $20 a month. GIMP is free and I think you can add the nVidia exporter too. (Someone correct me please)

Anyway, to recap:

ALBD are the standard reflected textures and don't seem to use alphas

COMP textures are for material behaviour - use colour channels to change as follows

Red channel - occlusion
Green channel - roughness
Blue channel - is for metal
(No alphas used)

The NORM is normal map - i.e. direction of reflections

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

oh yes - I have been in touch with Martin Wright (author of dxtBMP) and he is aware of these quirks. He's not overly active with dxtBMP because apparently it is no longer absolutely necessary to use all those older DDS formats. I will allow myself one small quote from him: "Currently it is a messy business adding liveries. Asobo are looking at making it more practical."

He also remarks that things like the need for JSON files also possibly an awkard thing. But he is aware of our worries, but as I mentioned earlier - PS or GIMP help.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel