Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Italian mesh !!

8 minutes ago, Steku said:

Is the default mesh in MFS2020 part of local installation or streamed from bing together with the textures? If it's streamed, I wonder why the resolution is so lonw, bing should have much more detailed mesh resolution.

I‘m not sure where it’s stored but the DEM used in MSFS appears to be the same that‘s used in Bing Maps (apart from Japan and parts of the US after the updates). It‘s always been a miracle to me why Bing Maps have such a bad DEM. Neumann once said something along the lines of „DEM isn‘t relevant for their customers“. I would say this isn‘t true anymore since in some way we simmers are Bing customers now as well.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Ok some points (literally...)

1) Yes looks much better, Mountains/Sides of Mountains are much sharper and realistic.
2) Unfortunately there's a very low LOD threshold, even with everything on Ultra/200 the "pop-in" and changing of the scenery is eye-catchingly poor up close, is there a way to extend this perhaps? (Cache data even?)
3) It's not without it's flaws so needs some work (see pics below)

20210103120843_1.jpg?width=1302&height=720210103120910_1.jpg?width=1302&height=720210103120307_1.jpg?width=1302&height=7

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

This is truely great progress. In the meantime Asobo should take pains improving the algorithm of the terrain surface to make mountains look more jagged and rough. The before and after comparison pics of the enhanced Italian mesh clearly shows that even though the higher resolution mesh can make mountains look more realistic, they still look too smooth and rounded. The smooth and rounded look of moutains is not only caused by low terrain mesh, but also some kind of algorithm that decides the ruggedness of the surface of the mountains. The smoothing effect of MSFS on mountains is definitely too much and thus making them looking too soft and rounded. Google Earth has a built-in option to change the ruggedness of the mountains. Of course the world terrain mesh should still be improved gradually to make it more realistic. Both factor should be taken into consideration.

I have a post discussing this over smoothing effect of mountain terrains. Please take a look: 

Edited by yanfeng12342000
  • Upvote 1

I to had bad spikes, I deleted it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

From a short distance the terrain looks very convincing with this mesh.

BUT the low drawing distance of this addon mesh together with some "special" handling on the MSFS side (addon mesh determines where the autogen trees are drawn, but itself is only drawn at a short distance) leads together with the "tree draw distance mod" to trees at the horizon that float above the mountains and only get some solid terrain beneath them when you come closer than some 10 miles, as the addon mesh really gets drawn. A similar problem probably occures with distant night lights.

So for now I deleted this addon - will have to wait until the drawing distance problem is solved.

16 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I to had bad spikes, I deleted it.

hey at least the spikes are parts of other bigger spikes! 🙂

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

20 hours ago, meerkat said:

From a short distance the terrain looks very convincing with this mesh.

BUT the low drawing distance of this addon mesh together with some "special" handling on the MSFS side (addon mesh determines where the autogen trees are drawn, but itself is only drawn at a short distance) leads together with the "tree draw distance mod" to trees at the horizon that float above the mountains and only get some solid terrain beneath them when you come closer than some 10 miles, as the addon mesh really gets drawn. A similar problem probably occures with distant night lights.

So for now I deleted this addon - will have to wait until the drawing distance problem is solved.

Yes, same conclusion here.
I hope Asobo will prioritize mesh drawing distance in their roadmap.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

New version's out, fixing some of those spikes i believe

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Any other higher quality DEMs out there? I found FInland on flightsim.to but that's all, thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Only noticed this addon due to the last comment on this thread.

I note that this covers Austria, for which I downloaded the new 10m DEM yesterday and the Austria DEM probably covers some of Northern Italy.  How will these two play together in MSFS?  I'm guessing that the 10m will override, but will that cause performance issues?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)