Sign in to follow this  
xxd09

Scenery Spikes

Flying through the Alps -wonderful MSFS 2020 scenery -it really is breathtaking 

However I notice the occasional green “spike” going up into the sky for two or three thousand feet among the mountains 

The spikes disappear as you fly close

Any one else seeing this?
xxd09

• Upvote 1

I haven't flown in the Alps. But I do occasionally see identical spikes in the mountains of West Virginia and elsewhere.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Saw my first spikes today heading out of Salt Lake City.  We don't get crazy scenery spikes out in the flatlands, ya know.  Hehehe...

This is a known issue which was introduced in Sim Update II.  It seems that the QA on the terrain meshes is...not good.

Thread to upvote on the official forums - https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/spikes-on-terrain-and-and-mesh-problems-global/338732

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Around Cascais - Portugal ( LPCS ), departing North ( rw 35 ) one can see one of these spikes that wasn't there before the last  update.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I saw them after the X-Mas update. North of EDDK.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The UK is littered with the spike things.  Hope it gets sorted in the Jan UK update along with the coastal water masks and lakes where there are no lakes in the RW.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Folks, there are a number of people in the community working on terrain fixes, and they've worked really well.  I'd suggest that if you try both of the files linked in this thread and still have problems, you let @Alpine Scenery, the creator of one of the mods, know in this thread.  They've been really helpful about taking input there on what needs fixing.

• Like 2

Yes, I can confirm this works great.  The file on flightsim.to fixed it for me and I have not seen a spike since - this is done by Mappamundi

https://flightsim.to/file/5167/scenery-glitch-fixes-for-update-1-12-13-0

I believe Alpine has coordinated with Mappamundi, and Alpine has worked more on the US fixes.  (please correct me if I am wrong)

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

Folks, there are a number of people in the community working on terrain fixes, and they've worked really well.  I'd suggest that if you try both of the files linked in this thread and still have problems, you let @Alpine Scenery, the creator of one of the mods, know in this thread.  They've been really helpful about taking input there on what needs fixing.

Yes, I can confirm this works great.  The file on flightsim.to fixed it for me and I have not seen a spike since - this is done by Mappamundi

I believe Alpine has coordinated with Mappamundi, and Alpine has worked more on the US fixes.  (please correct me if I am wrong)

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

19 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Should you use BOTH of these fixes together? I have them both installed now but other that starting up MSFS to make sure there isn't an issue with the sim starting, I haven't really flown anywhere yet.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

18 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

Should you use BOTH of these fixes together? I have them both installed now but other that starting up MSFS to make sure there isn't an issue with the sim starting, I haven't really flown anywhere yet.

Good question!

It isn't entirely clear to me, but from discussions I have seen, the mappamundi file is better if you fly in Europe, and Alpines is better if you fly in North America.

Having both might lead to one taking precedence over the other if they are not set up in the right way.

For instance if the North America file loads last (takes precedence), will it obliterate all of the European fixes in mappamundi's file?  I just don't know.

Until we have clarification, I would just load the file you want for where you want to fly for now. 

It is becoming easier to do with these new add-on managers - takes just a second. 👍

Edited by bobcat999