Sign in to follow this  
Guest DreamFleet

Long Beach Airport question

For anyone living close to KLGB, can you tell me if the demolition of all the old McDD factories/hangars has been completed and which of the buildings are left standing. Also what are the plans for the these buildings?A current pic would be ideal :( ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi, Shez.Here are some pics of KLGB, I hope they help. I have some more from Top Down, but they are on some old systems I no longer use. If you need something specific, write me a PM and next time I take the camera, I will try to get you what you need. I hope these help. TV

Thanks for the reply, I was updating KLGB scenery when I came across some recent pics showing the large factory/hangar buildings on the northern part of LGB in partial destruction stage. Was wondering if the entire northern McDD area will be leveled so that I may depict this in the scenery. I just heard the last B717 has been built so does that mean conversion of the facility to something else? or empty tarmac?Maybe next time you are there you can get me a pic? or if you are able to see the area let me know what is there currently.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez,The new development is called Douglas Park.To my knowlege, everything north of Lakewood Blvd (the street passing through the Douglas plant) has been razed. If you take a look at this rendering:http://www.douglaspark.org/new_6-1-01/aerial.pdfyou can see that the plant will still be intact below Lakewood, but gone above that. I do know that most of those buildings are now gone, including the office tower. There may be one or two left, but I doubt it.You can see more info at:http://www.douglaspark.org/Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks Tom, this will help a lot.Shez

Shez Ansari

Hey Shez!While your at it I hope your updating the C-17 Buildings also. I've been working here since '87, your pretty close in some of it, off a lot on other parts. If you need some pics or something send me an email. jetninja at gmail dot com. What would be neat is a time switch, see the old one with all of our old production buildings if flying a couple years past, then all gone in current timeline....

I just saw a pic of LGB at airliners.net and it appears all the McDD buildings have been torn down except the B717 building at the NE end. Appears to be a large dirt mound now.I guess I will just do the same.I would love to have some pics of the current state.Shez

Shez Ansari

Guest DreamFleet

Is the Queen Mary still there? (I know she is)That's the only thing I care about!I'll never forget the night that I, Tom Main (Flight 1 Software) and Eric Ernst (originator of LDS 767) were staying on board Queen Mary, while attending E3 back in 2000-something, so we could preview FS2002.We were walking around one of the lower decks, after quite a few drinks, and we made some stupid bet that one of us could run down one of the decks on Queen Mary in 30 seconds, or something like that.Tom and I tried it.We did not even get half way!My feet were killing me the next day! :-lolI love planes, but when one says "Long Beach", all I can think about is where one of the greatest devices ever to cross the Atlantic ocean lives, and that is the Queen Mary.Boeing and Airbus have yet to build anything that can compete with her! :-)However, Chantiers de l'Atlantique did, and that is the Queen Mary 2! You cannot see me, but I was on the top beck of QM2 in this photo as she arrived in New York Harbor on her maiden trans-Atlantic voyage in April of 2004.http://iatwm.com/200407/QM2/13162.jpgAs to the original, now in Long Beach, she's a classic, and could sail at 30 knots while holding the equivalent volume of a couple 747s / A380s just in her engine rooms! What an amazing creation, considering that she entered service in 1935, about the same time the DC-3 did.EDIT: Image exceeds our size restrictions. Please adhere to our image policies.That's a Russian submarine they have on display in the lower part of the photo. Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Hi Shez.Sorry for the delay, I assumed that with the pic from Tom you may have enough info. I have some pics here for you. These are all off/ East of 25R. I have some more, with buildings, if you need them, but I do nor want to take up too much of Tom

Excellent! Exactly what I wanted to see. It is clear that the McDD buildings are coming down now.Thanks!Shez

Shez Ansari

Hey thanks Lou, not sure if I can put her in but does FS2004 not have her modelled already?RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Yes it has changed considerable, that is what I was working from previously.Thanks for the pics.Shez

Shez Ansari