Sign in to follow this  
Axis3600

High altitude clouds performance

Hello,

Have you noticed that clouds / mists at very high altitudes (FL330 350 370 ...) completely bug MFS?

I am towards Agadir it is very well done super beautiful I see nothing around the plane but my FPS have dropped from 30 to 15 10 ...

And it returns to normal after passing the high altitude clouds / mists ...

Same here. kills performance. You cannot see much there anyway and If I move my view to the cockpit and obstruct most of the view of the clouds the framerates return

Regards

• Upvote 1

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

Yes indeed by changing the view I can recover the FPS but as soon as I look in front to the right or to the left in the clouds it buggy.

Which is not the case at lower altitudes than at FL70 5000 '3000' I have no FPS problem.

It's weird

Hope they can fix this on an update

Yes, this is hilarious. These clouds look meh at best, but tank the FPS more than a full blown thunderstorm on ultra settings. I just sit thru that and shake my head.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Clouds have not affected my FPS as badly as I was expecting.  I seem to gain very little turning them down so have kept at ultra.  I do tend to not have too many layers though or only one layer of overcast.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I guess these are suppose to be high altitude cirrus but they never got those cloud types right.

Regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

19 minutes ago, Denwagg said:

I guess these are suppose to be high altitude cirrus but they never got those cloud types right.

Regards

That's right Den.  Asobo know they are not right, and they said they might look at doing proper cirrus / cirrus patterns at a later stage.  Another one for the backlog I suppose.

Apparently, the new clouds aren't textures, but generated particles.  So programming wise, it is probably easy to get them to 'clump' into a puffy cloud such as cirrus cumulus, but not so easy to get them to generate cirrus / herring bone type patterns.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I wonder if some ground fog does the same thing

Regards

• Like 1

Denwagg

6 hours ago, Axis3600 said:

Have you noticed that clouds / mists at very high altitudes (FL330 350 370 ...)

You can get this performance drop with low-level layers as well. Believe depiction using a similar cloud/fog layer type is what is causing the drop. And @Colonel X - exactly. Other high-density cloud depictions such as thunderstorms don't seem to have the same hit.

Whilst clouds have an impact, high level traffic settings cause me greater problems.  Road traffic particularly but airport traffic when at or around airports too, especially the busier ones.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I wonder if some ground fog does the same thing

No, I landed on an airport with fog and little visibility, it didn't take FPS like high altitude clouds.

I have no FPS concerns with road traffic.

It's a little off topic but it's weird also I tested road traffic at 0 and at 100% it takes very few resources compared to P3D or it was a killer of FPS!

So I don't know how their road traffic works but it's not bad

Edited by Axis3600