Sign in to follow this  
NathanS

Joystick / Vulcan bomber

I have a joystick option taken care of already.

But I think I'd be interested in a yoke joystick conversion - Vulcan bomber style.

c97d319dd1b62e79c0e0c7416c4ea938.jpg

I don't know my aircraft like other people - are there many aircraft with joysticks-like-yokes?  Oh, the Cirrus side stick too!

Is this an add-on that @tutmeister may consider?

Edited by NathanS

22 minutes ago, NathanS said:

I don't know my aircraft like other people - are there many aircraft with joysticks-like-yokes?  Oh, the Cirrus side stick too!

Is this an add-on that @tutmeister may consider?

Actually yes I did consider it for Cirrus and Vulcans! The problem I see is that it would have to use our existing base which moves 8 inches in and out and also rotates 90 degrees each way. Great for a yoke but probably not so great for either of those aircraft. Not an expert on either but I seriously doubt they move that much.

Chris

Correction: Using Just-Flight's Avro Vulcan for reference, the Fulcrum Yoke has similar travel, and similar rotation (the sim looks to rotate +/- 80').

I'd recommend flying it with the yoke rather than a plastic joystick!!

5 hours ago, NathanS said:

Ah, true - both look more like +/- 45' rather than +/- 90'.

Shame!

https://youtu.be/NFGkZPPNrkA?t=1021

https://youtu.be/sLUvoYIi1vo?t=41

It's plausible to put gearing along the shaft to multiply the rotation of the input - heh, I wonder how practical that is!

If you really wanted to do it,  probably more practical to put some sort of bumper in that stops the Yoke turning at 45 degrees left/right with some sort of software/sensitivity adjustment to give full deflection by 45 degrees.

9 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

If you really wanted to do it,  probably more practical to put some sort of bumper in that stops the Yoke turning at 45 degrees left/right with some sort of software/sensitivity adjustment to give full deflection by 45 degrees.

Theres certainly many ways of approaching this sort of problem, and the more ideas thrown around the more likely a good one will emerge! Isn’t Chris lucky... 🤐 😂

The history of console controllers show manufacturers designing accessory mount points from day one, some that may never even get exploited. The Fulcrum Yoke has the bare minimum, 4 mounting holes on the base, nothing on any other face, two lugs at the end of the shaft. My geared suggestion was a thought with regards to those restrictions. I think ideally, designing from scratch, the base unit would have a lever to select the rotation range. But that’d be a new product!

A replica Vulcan joystick style flight control is a great idea and one I hope Chris will eventually address. I believe that the fact that the Fulcrum yoke has greater rotational movement than the Vulcan had, could easily be addressed in the software by generating the fully movement of the control surfaces not at +/- 90 degrees, but say at +/- 45 degrees or +/- 60 degrees for example. Movement of the yoke beyond that point would then simply have no further effect. While an additional simple mechanical stop would be a further improvement, either way it would certainly be a compromise I'd be happy to live compared with not having a Vulcan style flight control.

I do hope the Fulcrum will eventually be offered with an optional Vulcan style control.

Edited by JohnVulcan

If it's ever required, I have access to XM655 and have both pics and vids of the control column (including full deflection). It's slightly heavier in feel than the Fulcrum 😉