Good Evening everyone and Happy new Year!

It's that time of the year, where I'm about to order a new Rig.

I'm doubting if 5900x with 6900xt, or 5900x/10900k OCd with 3090. Both will be on liquid.

There will be 32gb ddr4 4000 and 2x NvMe PCI4 plus some other SSDs. Mobo ASUS STRIX Formula or something similar.

Anyone has seen any comparison of the 5900x/5950x vs the 10900k on p3d? I will mainly use p3d... and I really don't know how the 6900xt will behave. I'm willing to take a bet but any thoughs?

Thanks!

Giorgio La Pira

Thanks a lot rob!

I think I'll go for that setup then... 5950x and 3090. 

I really appreciate your feedback. I'll place an order and wait to see what comes up and when! 🙂

Gio

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Might be some lost in translation ... "doubting"?  Do you mean "planning"?  If so, the best option is AMD 5950X and nVidia 3090 if cost is not a consideration.

I think your biggest challenge will be CPU/GPU availability unless you don't mind paying 2-3X more for scalper prices.  I don't expect to be able to buy one at retail prices until Feb/March (6-7 months after launch date).  The availability problem is so ridiculous, I've lost my sense of humor about it ... and current rumors from various web sources suggest delays might be even longer.  The blame is on COVID, yet Samsung and TSMC and Intel have their fabs fully populated with employees ... it's not like one can roam around those fabs without masks and clean suits (so nothing has really changed). 

EVGA make the best liquid cooled 3090.

The answer is Yes, just not "in a reasonable timeframe".  Both TSMC and Samsung took on more than they could handle and Intel has delayed 7nm yet again for another 6 months.  It's simply bad planning at the executive level, high demand, low manufacturing output and it's got nothing to do with COVID.

Good luck in your quest for these components, maybe Dubai has more availability?

Cheers, Rob.

You happen to have any reports on the 5950x on p3d vs the 10900?

take care.

Giorgio La Pira

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I've lost my sense of humor about it ... and current rumors from various web sources suggest delays might be even longer. 

+1 Rob.  +1.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I personally don't ... but single thread performance is better on the AMD 5950X so the main controlling thread/core should be able handle more load. 

I do plan to test and post results once I can get these components, but again probably Feb/March (if I'm lucky).

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks!!! 🙂

Gio

Giorgio La Pira

Here in the UK I have been suffering the same issue regarding parts

My current system was in sim terms ancient but still not a slouch for a lot of things.

Looking on newegg most of the things i wanted were out of stock with no sign of arrival,

I decided to wait, but then i found a solution was getting it built for me ,although slightly more than building myself, it was substatually cheaper than scalper prices and i have some warrenties thrown in. The best part is that the only thing they are waiting on is the motherboard of all things.

So hopefully within the next couple of weeks i will have a nice shiny new 5950x with an evga 3090 ftw3 system.

What i'm trying to get at is, there may be other solutions to beat scalpers. The company that i went for is the same as everywhere else regarding out of stock for parts only but they have stock for pre built systems.

Probably another story there though.

Edit: I should add that i chose all the parts i wanted, and did not have to compromise because of the build spec on the site

Edited by mazelda

Pete Little

5950X and 3090 for flightsimming? Overkill, IMO. But, yeah, if cost is no object go for them.They'll hold you over for a couple of years

(says the guy with the i5-3570K and the GTX670 😂...)

Enjoy the performance!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Not so much cost no object but my last pc was/is an intel 4930k and a 980ti which has lasted around 5 or 6 years at least, i think it might be longer.So i definately mnow your pain🥲. So if this one lasts the same length of time then i think the cost will be worth it .

I don't upgrade very often and i agree very much overkill for current sims, but when i built my last pc i think we were on fsx only and xplane 9. So  who's to say, that when this system is weak,we will not be utilising muticore as standard and massive gpu memory usage .

But getting back to radial360's post and possibly Rob's reply,companies that not only sell components but build systems are holding back on some of the valuable components to put in there own pre built systems, as in my case. 

Yes the cost was a bit more,but far less than scalpers prices and for the length of time i plan on keeping this system. it works out to be about an extra dollar a week over what i would have paid on the components only.

Pete Little