Good Evening everyone and Happy new Year!

It's that time of the year, where I'm about to order a new Rig.

I'm doubting if 5900x with 6900xt, or 5900x/10900k OCd with 3090. Both will be on liquid.

There will be 32gb ddr4 4000 and 2x NvMe PCI4 plus some other SSDs. Mobo ASUS STRIX Formula or something similar.

Anyone has seen any comparison of the 5900x/5950x vs the 10900k on p3d? I will mainly use p3d... and I really don't know how the 6900xt will behave. I'm willing to take a bet but any thoughs?

Thanks!

Giorgio La Pira

I don't know for sure about P3D for AMD/Intel CPUs but I'd say they'd be close enough that it comes down to personal preference. Generally the 5900X/5950X should have slightly better single core performance and fully support PCIe 4.0 so might be the better option if you can get your hands on them. If not the 10900K is a great CPU as well - don't think it supports PCIe 4.0 but in real world usage for gaming I don't think that makes a huge difference for SSDs. Intel's Rocket Lake is coming sometime in Q1 but it could be Q2 before people can actually get a hold of it.

For the GPU I'd recommend going with Nvidia - especially if you're gaming at 4K. If budget isn't that much of an issue then you won't go wrong with the 3090. Or potentially you could wait a bit as it looks like there'll be a 20GB 3080ti coming for around $1,000 which would likely give you very similar performance to a 3090 for a good bit less cash. Again though it could be very hard to actually get your hands on a 3080ti when it comes out initially. It might be easier to get a hold of a 3090 as they're so expensive that they're a bit easier to find.

Changed from Intel I9-9990X to AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and a 6900XT 3 Weeks ago 🙂 

I´m as happy as I could be, for about the price of a watercooled RTX3090 I upgraded my whole system to another level. 

I also fly @4K and with very high settings at FlyTampa KBOS with FSL A320, 4x SSAA, 4K Texture Resolution ....  I have 33 - 40 FPS and the GPU is at 70 - 80 % Load. 

I cannot compare it to a RTX3090 but I´m more than happy with my upgrade. But my old GPU was a Radeon VII and the 6900XT is about 90 % faster. 

And I know that still NVIDIA seems the way to go for P3D but at least for me it isn`t anymore. 🙂 

Edited by 331BK
  • Upvote 2

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Same for me. Switched from an I9 9900k and RTX 2080ti to a Ryzen 5900X and RTX 3090. 

The 3090 was replaced by an RX 6900XT. The AMD Chip is much more interesting for me. It uses 70Watt less Power and clocks with 2500mhz with massive undervolting + extremely modern Driver Layout. Performance in P3D is identical, but seems a bit faster in XP11 due to very high clock speed.